Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
27 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The problem with that is, the doomers and gloomers were correct and GP gave what turnout to be false hopes. He doesn't need to apologise but I think an analysis of what went wrong would help. 

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

That sounds fair:)

Posted
Just now, Frosty. said:

You are being over sensitive, i never even thought about you!

I wasn't thinking about me either.:cc_confused:

But I agree that GP doesn't need to explain what went wrong or apologise for an incorrect prognostication as that would create an awful precedent and the thread could be overwhelmed.

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

I wasn't thinking about me either.:cc_confused:

You don't think about yourself?...interesting:mellow:

Anyway, I'm not really interested what you think, nothing personal:smile:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

The "torpedo" was forecast to strike about the last third of January and he hasn't made a post since at least a week before that predicted timeframe  So how can anyone say "I got it wrong"? You say it after the predicted timeframe. And it's honourable thing to do in my books putting your hands up and saying I got this wrong. 

You could even say that the fact he made no further posts in the run up to the "torpedo" might suggest that he was beginning to see this was going pear-shaped, if we are looking at this cynically.

And that is the issue for me. He has not posted much since taking up his new job or position, understandable. But he came on here and trumpeted this "torpedo". So he must have thought it significant enough to alert people on here about it. However it left some members scratching their heads exactly what this "torpedo" was? And it has left even more scratching their heads "what happened?" 

No explanation to what went wrong, maybe he should have made a post to why it went wrong. 

Well look whether he got things right or wrong he doesn't need to come on here to explain himself like a child, why should he? he isn't a paid forecaster for this forum. Ridiculous. He probably has a life elsewhere off here & I don't blame him if he sees those sorts of reactions. It's just a weather forum at the end of the day and the weather will do what it wants, really no need to get hung up about 1 poster.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well look whether he got things right or wrong he doesn't need to come on here to explain himself like a child. Ridiculous. He probably has a life elsewhere off here. It's just a weather forum at the end of the day and the weather will do what it wants, no need to get hung up about 1 poster.

Agreed, GP is not God, he's not to blame for another garbage winter and I'm just pleased that he sometimes finds the time to post in the MOD.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As asked a few posts up which doesn't seem to have sunk in.. Can we move away from discussing other members  in here, Any more will be removed.

This thread is to be used for discussing Spring as per thread title.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not particularly being in the circulation of the LP to the south.

Well overall I don't think we'll be completely returning to the position we were in during Winter where we were just looking for any signs whatsoever of settled weather in the midst of all the rain. As it's Spring there is generally more chance of more frequent and longer spells of drier weather occurring as well as unsettled weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

One silver lining is the big potential for some big April showers with plenty of cold air aloft some a lot of instability coupled with an increasingly strong sun to drive home grown convection so hail and thunder look a distinct possibility.

100% yes!

We've been lucky here, last week saw a lot of sunshine- very much what the doctor ordered. However, the last two days have been depressingly dingy, and cold, so I'd welcome a bit of active weather rather than what we have currently.

Obviously I don't want anybody to suffer any deluges that give rise to a risk of flooding, the sunshine and showers bit is what i'm referring to. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

More of a west to north westerly flow today so more cloud for the west but much better for those of us in the east lots of blue sky starting to appear now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes, bring on some decent convective weather, anything other than this dreary and unpleasant cold gloom. Another weekend spoilt here, 9-5'ers must be thoroughly fed up, thankfully I do shifts :) At least the ground is slowly becoming less of a mud-bath though!

3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, bring on some decent convective weather, anything other than this dreary and unpleasant cold gloom. Another weekend spoilt here, 9-5'ers must be thoroughly fed up, thankfully I do shifts :) At least the ground is slowly becoming less of a mud-bath though!

Yes i agree, its been a massively overrated high pressure spell with temps no better than average and plenty of cloud cover, people saying todays forecast was wrong when in actual fact the forecast was for rather cloudy not completely overcast, no signs of any prolonged warmth just rather cloudy weather with sunny intervals to damp windy atlantic based weather later in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Yes i agree, its been a massively overrated high pressure spell with temps no better than average and plenty of cloud cover, people saying todays forecast was wrong when in actual fact the forecast was for rather cloudy not completely overcast, no signs of any prolonged warmth just rather cloudy weather with sunny intervals to damp windy atlantic based weather later in the week.

But on the flip side, the models were showing a progressively colder week in the run up to Easter and instead its more unsettled milder southwesterlies.

• Like 1

Posted

The high pressure has brought a horrific period of weather even worse than the majority of winter. It has been dire since the 9th with day in day out of grey skies, drizzle and generally damp and unpleasant conditions. 

Had it not been for the sunny first week then this month would be on course to be even duller than March 2013. It has been an awful month. Just 22.7 hours sun in the past 12 days and 11 hours of that was on just one day :wallbash:

Today was meant to be sunnier but was after dawning bright just saw more overcast filth move in by 11am that stuck around the rest of the day. Absolutely sick fed up of it. March is neither a spring nor winter month this year but an autumn month like pretty much the rest of the year is now :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Been fine for over a week now and most days have had wall to wall sunshine, been a few cloudy mornings but the sun always came out. Not too warm though with temps around 7-10c by day with some chilly nights, not too fussed about temps as the weather has been fantastic. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Richard2901 said:

The high pressure has brought a horrific period of weather even worse than the majority of winter. It has been dire since the 9th with day in day out of grey skies, drizzle and generally damp and unpleasant conditions. 

Had it not been for the sunny first week then this month would be on course to be even duller than March 2013. It has been an awful month. Just 22.7 hours sun in the past 12 days and 11 hours of that was on just one day :wallbash:

Today was meant to be sunnier but was after dawning bright just saw more overcast filth move in by 11am that stuck around the rest of the day. Absolutely sick fed up of it. March is neither a spring nor winter month this year but an autumn month like pretty much the rest of the year is now :nonono:

the 'real' weather from Aberdeen

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&WMO=03091&ART=SON&CONT=ukuk&R=0&LEVEL=150&REGION=0003&LAND=UK&NOREGION=1&MOD=&TMX=&TMN=&SON=&PRE=&MONAT=&OFFS=&SORT=

Posted

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Which MJO phases are best for settled weather in April?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I don't always agree with @Richard2901 but last week up this way was pretty tediously cool and grey. A bit better yesterday and today so far, with the cloud at least trying to break up at times. A stiff breeze though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh good. Looks like we're entering the time of year when rainbands are timing themselves during the day now.

Posted
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I don't always agree with @Richard2901 but last week up this way was pretty tediously cool and grey. A bit better yesterday and today so far, with the cloud at least trying to break up at times. A stiff breeze though.

Richard is essential reading in this household - for the times hubby is homesick for the NE. :whistling:

I would question the validity of the sunshine hours on the link John posted: yes, more sunshine than Richard mentions but I regularly check the satellite images and there looked to have been little in the way of clear conditions at Dyce.

Edit after typing before looking properly - the graph is correct, I didn't read the scale correctly.

Tabular format from Meteociel.  65e64d7f4722e66786bf65acdb8ab383.png

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3091&mois=3&annee=2016

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 1