Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

Yeah, especially the first part of winter, being such a strong El Nino was always very likely to be wet, windy and mild. I don't suppose anyone could have suggested just how wet, windy and mild it was as it's broken records, but still - definitely was never looking too exciting in terms of cold early in the season in particular. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Really ?...this winter was odds on going to be mild and wet..i think somewhere back in June 2015 I had already written off this winter for cold

I start every winter optimistic, nobody knew that December would be record breaking warm and wet until it was actually happening!...but then I expected a marked recovery, alas, it never happened..I will hope for the best next time.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I start every winter optimistic, nobody knew that December would be record breaking warm and wet until it was actually happening!...but then I expected a marked recovery, alas, it never happened..I will hope for the best next time.:D

its not unusual in strong basin El nino years for December to be by far the mildest month of the winter..its almost a given I would say

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I wasn't disappointed that December was a write off, I'm more disappointed with what happened mid-January onwards (or rather what didn't happen). As people have said, it was highly unlikely we'd get much wintry weather between November and mid January, however I was banking on at least one decent wintry spell in the second half of the winter. How different the winter would have turned out had the each month's weather been the month before i.e. January in December, February in January etc. Oh well.

As for now, I'd like this attempt at a cold easterly to do one and make room for some convective weather a la last March. This spell of weather is already getting tedious!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Agree C.M, But i dont think anyone was expecting record breaking warmth. And with us relying on a SSW into the 2nd half which never materialised until the start of Spring it realy was a no hoper. Even the odd Northerly or potent N/Wly blast has been very rare this season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
19 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ay, and where was this bloody torpedo!

Fair play to Glacier Point though. He stuck to his guns even though things didn't really materialise country wide. We did well here earlier in the month for snow. But I hope next Winter will be better for the whole country, looks like no El Nino for starters!

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Fair play to Glacier Point though. He stuck to his guns even though things didn't really materialise country wide. We did well here earlier in the month for snow. But I hope next Winter will be better for the whole country, looks like no El Nino for starters!

What do you mean he stuck to his guns? He hasn't posted anything on here since about two weeks before the time period the torpedo was suppose to strike,

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

What do you earn he stuck to his guns? He hasn't posted anything on here, about two weeks before the time period the torpedo was suppose to strike,

Other than disappearing off here (which isn't unusual as most people have a life away from the internet) he never said he was wrong or changed his view point on what may or may not happen, but again maybe he is just busy with other things. That's what I was getting at. Whilst it probably wasn't so good where you live.... here we had 5 inches of snow earlier in March which lasted 3 days on the ground. Better than most of the rubbish from 1998 to 2008 ....I guess that was the torpedo & came a bit later than planned :laugh:

Posted
36 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I guess that was the torpedo & came a bit later than planned :laugh:

I thought GP's torpedo had destroyed knockers woodshed:bomb::bomb::D

BurningShed.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

What do you mean he stuck to his guns? He hasn't posted anything on here since about two weeks before the time period the torpedo was suppose to strike,

Aye, the plan didnt go to err, plan but hey ho, im sure good old stew will assess what happened and come back a better forecaster for it.

And therein lies the beauty of the weather and all the ifs buts and maybes associated with it, even the best are learning all the time, i look forward to GP's thoughts for summer hopefully..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Liking the look of early spring,no warmth,dry and a cool outlook,perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, markyo said:

Liking the look of early spring,no warmth,dry and a cool outlook,perfect.

Looks like becoming milder, apart from the GEM which still shows a chilly Easter.:)

When the charts allow it, I big up any cold potential and if they show a long draw southerly plume like the Gfs 12z did yesterday, I will highlight that too as I like warm and cold weather in spring.

Posted

My local forecast is looking frankly horrible. Cloudy/overcast every day after today and single figure temps, with not a single sunny intervals symbol out to at least the 24th

One can hope the symbol forecasts are being too pessimistic.

6 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Looks like becoming milder, apart from the GEM which still shows a chilly Easter.:)

When the charts allow it, I big up any cold potential and if they show a long draw southerly plume like the Gfs 12z did yesterday, I will highlight that too as I like warm and cold weather in spring.

Quite the downgrade from your 16C/17C's this weekend frosty. :D ....Even with warm uppers it feels really cold today. :cold: colder than a sunny arctic northerly, only in the UK. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sea mist never lifted today, wth? living here sucks balls sometimes, if not all the time

It never really lifted for anyone I don't think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Eugene said:

Quite the downgrade from your 16C/17C's this weekend frosty. :D ....Even with warm uppers it feels really cold today. :cold: colder than a sunny arctic northerly, only in the UK. :D

Warm uppers? They are +4 or +5c at best at the 850 level. More average. 

Horrible grey cloud all today with mist and fog this morning. 

Posted
On 16 March 2016 at 6:31 PM, Frost HoIIow said:

Other than disappearing off here (which isn't unusual as most people have a life away from the internet) he never said he was wrong or changed his view point on what may or may not happen, but again maybe he is just busy with other things. That's what I was getting at. Whilst it probably wasn't so good where you live.... here we had 5 inches of snow earlier in March which lasted 3 days on the ground. Better than most of the rubbish from 1998 to 2008 ....I guess that was the torpedo & came a bit later than planned :laugh:

The "torpedo" was forecast to strike about the last third of January and he hasn't made a post since at least a week before that predicted timeframe  So how can anyone say "I got it wrong"? You say it after the predicted timeframe. And it's honourable thing to do in my books putting your hands up and saying I got this wrong. 

You could even say that the fact he made no further posts in the run up to the "torpedo" might suggest that he was beginning to see this was going pear-shaped, if we are looking at this cynically.

And that is the issue for me. He has not posted much since taking up his new job or position, understandable. But he came on here and trumpeted this "torpedo". So he must have thought it significant enough to alert people on here about it. However it left some members scratching their heads exactly what this "torpedo" was? And it has left even more scratching their heads "what happened?" 

No explanation to what went wrong, maybe he should have made a post to why it went wrong. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

No explanation to what went wrong, maybe he should have made a post to why it went wrong. 

GP doesn't need to explain what went wrong or apologise, he gave coldies hope during the dark times of another abysmal winter. I would much rather read his posts than the doom and gloom tripe from certain others!

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

GP doesn't need to explain what went wrong or apologise, he gave coldies hope during the dark times of another abysmal winter. I would much rather read his posts than the doom and gloom tripe from certain others!

I see realism has now been redefined as doom and gloom tripe.

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The problem with that is, the doomers and gloomers were correct and GP gave what turnout to be false hopes. He doesn't need to apologise but I think an analysis of what went wrong would help. 

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Can we please swiftly move away from personal post preferences, As ultimately that only ends in doom and gloom.. And continue to discuss loosely around the topic of Spring.  

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
27 minutes ago, knocker said:

I see realism has now been redefined as doom and gloom tripe.

You are being over sensitive, i never even thought about you!