Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
27 minutes ago, March said:

Not here it isn't. November is on average a bit cooler than March. Especially the max temps. 

I very much doubt that. Any proof?

But yeah, the average maxima for both months are roughly the same, around 8/9/10C depending on where in the country you are. Says it all really when sun starved November is just as warm by day.

You get a week of 15C maxima in March, chances are you will have to sit through a week of 5C maxima afterwards. Otherwise the average maxima for the month would be much higher than it actually is.

Anyway, the weather will do what it will do, some of us will be happy, others not so much.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ukmaxtemp.png

deepest FI but 2 runs on the trot now, bring on Spring! I live at low levels, cannot be arsed with farty rain and 3C

all know of course these charts will downgrade to wet

Looking at the "Models" thread that warm High (should it actually materialise) could just possibly give us our first 20C of the year.

Yes puleeeeeze:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted

Chucking it down in Leicester!! Temp at 2 metres is 5.7c, none of the white stuff for us me thinks.. Hope the charts above for mid March verify, desperately need to dry our speedway track out..

Something in my water tells me that this will be a poor Spring wet and not warm also no bbq summer more misery of well below average temps but I do feel a very cold next winter plenty of ice and snow so let's see if my forecast is more accurate than met office I reckon il be right 

• Like 1

Posted

Snow cover twice in a few days??...well I am being spoilt aren't I..no doubt it will turn to rain very soon but at the minute there's a few inch on the ground...and we aren't even in an elevated area!!:)

• Like 1

Posted

A great success for Met Office seasonal Winter forecast wasn't it?

Here's hoping that come October this year they're forecasting a three month -NAO bonanza. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

A great success for Met Office seasonal Winter forecast wasn't it?

Here's hoping that come October this year they're forecasting a three month -NAO bonanza. 

Not sure a great success..I don't think it was a particularly difficult winter season to call...most of the professional organisations got it pretty much right from what I can remember.

• Like 1

Posted

Why's it so quiet on here?  It's been snowing its weeble off all night in the Pennines and not just on high routes.  Forecast suggests it will change to sleet at some point and carry on all day.  If they're wrong and it stays as snow will be one of the biggest dumps for a long time.  Good couple of inches on low ground, significantly more higher up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Models showing some quite springlike charts 9-10 days from now. Problem is, they're 9-10 days from now and could go the same away as some of the cold spells this winter. Either way, nice to see. Congrats to those who have received snow, even places southwest of me have had snow too. I think later tonight might be the last immediate chance of snow for this area.

I wonder if this March will follow the last two with very unsettled first and final thirds with a quiet middle.

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Not sure a great success..I don't think it was a particularly difficult winter season to call...

Maybe not difficult,  but some other forecasters thought there would be an SSW in January,  there wasn't. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I can also report a rip-roaring success of a winter here, with a massive ZERO snow days, and a few chilly mornings! Just get this next 5 days over with, and build me in that azores high for some spring sunshine! I'm well and truly done with this godforsaken 'winter' now!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I can also report a rip-roaring success of a winter here, with a massive ZERO snow days, and a few chilly mornings! Just get this next 5 days over with, and build me in that azores high for some spring sunshine! I'm well and truly done with this godforsaken 'winter' now!

Agreed.

Havent seen a snowflake here. A bit of wintriness in showers one morning this week.

Posted
25 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Maybe not difficult,  but some other forecasters thought there would be an SSW in January,  there wasn't. 

Indeed so. Whereas if we look back at a snapshot of GloSea5 strat diagnostics (1st from late Dec; 2nd mid-Jan) we can see how clustering always favoured something late in season & progressively signposted it as late Feb or during March. Hence UKMO never bought into notion of a Jan SSW.

Screenshot_2016-02-27-23-04-09-1.png

Screenshot_2016-02-27-23-05-48-1.png

• Like 3

Posted

i'm now longing for some Spring warmth ........... just about had enough of this pathetic Winter. ( East Yorkshire has been dire )

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Every year I promise myself I will not look at the Netweather seven day forecast....so many promises of snow that never, ever transpire...yet still I do it....sick to death of this horrible winter, of the endless wind, rain, mud, wind, rain and yet more rain...and the mud. Lost count how many bad falls I have had trying to cross the field to feed my horses. I'm no spring chicken and it hurts!   Fed up with no snow, fed up with mud and fed up with downgrades.....rant over....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Models showing some quite springlike charts 9-10 days from now. Problem is, they're 9-10 days from now and could go the same away as some of the cold spells this winter.

only this time the noaa 500mb charts support the azores high shifting eastwards towards biscay/western france, so the ops showing this are imho likely to be something like correct.

the noaa 500mb charts never supported any deep cold spell this winter, despite some op runs suggesting as much . (there were some very wintry charts from both the gfs and ecm). so id have thought its highly likely that the azores high build in closer to our southwest/south , detail to be determined at a later date.

looking promising (for springlike warmth) - despite predictions of below average/cold (which might yet happen).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
52 minutes ago, Ravendane said:

sick to death of this horrible winter

It's been spring for 4 days now..Duh!!

Posted

Well the end of WINTER… and the start of SPRING!! And in OLDHAM, we get a decent dumping of the HOLY GRAIL… with still more forecast, till about 10… 2night!! Made mi very happy, lol… lets hope it stays all the way thru MARCH!! and I'll be happy, till next winter… and the hunt starts all over again… anyway those in oldham, pennines etc… ENJOY WHAT WE GOT, love the SNOW… and hope knocker doesn't get his way with his MILD RAMPS, lol… :yahoo::hi::)

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

Well the end of WINTER… and the start of SPRING!! And in OLDHAM, we get a decent dumping of the HOLY GRAIL… with still more forecast, till about 10… 2night!! Made mi very happy, lol… lets hope it stays all the way thru MARCH!! and I'll be happy, till next winter… and the hunt starts all over again… anyway those in oldham, pennines etc… ENJOY WHAT WE GOT, love the SNOW… and hope knocker doesn't get his way with his MILD RAMPS, lol… :yahoo::hi::)

Nah, I want 30C heat and 9pm sunsets now,  It is March after all, why isn't it happening?! I'll be looking for snow again in subzero October. 

In all seriousness though, I'm sat here looking at 4+ inches of snow on the ground and the snow is still falling. 5 hours and counting. Don't get me wrong, I like Spring and Summer like the next man, but I don't get the mad rush for it to begin. We've got months and months of that not long from now. No rush, I say.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Nice drive home through North Derbyshire,came down into Hope Valley,should be renamed little Switzerland today! Truely beautiful if a bit hairy on the road,much more what winter should be about,loved,loved it! How people could dislike such stunning views as what i've seen today is beyond me. This is proper weather,something that literally takes your breath away.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

All I can say about the ECM run is this.

Celebrating it is like celebrating a 0-0 draw in football. It isn't cold or warm, just grey and cool and pleases absolutely no one.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

my family think I am mad for still logging on to this site, I am hoping that what it looks like tonight holds: another week of chilliness and then a warmer week. Honestly, if it isn't snow I have ****loads of outdoor jobs to get on with and the days are long enough now to really accomplish things as long as there isn't ice actually falling into your eyes.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

All I can say about the ECM run is this.

Celebrating it is like celebrating a 0-0 draw in football. It isn't cold or warm, just grey and cool and pleases absolutely no one.

would say wet is the word for it! disgusting run

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

dont worry about the ecm.... it will not become reality!

• Like 2