Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well I'm just so happy, the word mild does not compute after today and it really does look like we are entering a more prolonged wintry feeling period with generally cold conditions bringing plenty of frosts, some wintry showers, especially for exposed northern and eastern areas and always the chance of frontal snow from Atlantic systems. This is going to be more like winter as I dreamed it might be back in November but which turned into a mild hell in December. To me, this next month or so should throw up some nice wintry surprises!:)

• Like 4

Posted

Oh good this isn`t just the moaning thread its the ramping thread too so anything goes on here positive,negative the lot.:D

Lets get an easterly again with the low way out west diving south, after this NW-ly/N-ly this week with plenty of frosts and sunny crisp days and a few snow showers.

Last 2 days have been horrible.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Just to stir the pot a little, when a model suggests rather cold or cold, what does it mean? There is an obvious difference in the maximum temperature at any site between mid February and mid March. For mine it is getting on for 1.8C

rather cold by Met O definition up to mid March is 2 to 3 C below normal and for cold it is 4 to 5 C below normal.

So 'cold' in March is probably only 'rather cold' by the same definition in mid February

tara

• Like 1

Posted

13.8C here at the moment.

Its quite notable how easily the temperature has seemed to reach the mid-teens this winter when the synoptics haven't been anything impressive.

We've had 14C in all three winter months which is highly unusual for this location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well, another weekend ruined by nauseating Atlantic garbage. I'm looking forward to a colder spell as more sunshine is likely, something missing from most of this 'winter'.

Posted
13 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Just to stir the pot a little, when a model suggests rather cold or cold, what does it mean? There is an obvious difference in the maximum temperature at any site between mid February and mid March. For mine it is getting on for 1.8C

rather cold by Met O definition up to mid March is 2 to 3 C below normal and for cold it is 4 to 5 C below normal.

So 'cold' in March is probably only 'rather cold' by the same definition in mid February

tara

Must admit I had wondered this myself. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

cold?... in light winds (by wednesday) itll feel pleasant in the strengthening sun. i dont see much more then a 'normal' cold spell that we get commonly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looksl ike a dry week ahead. I can't be excited by ppn about a week away. Always is the case with snow. I applaud those who have the energy to keep on chasing it. I am all for it but i shall just be happy if it arrives. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, Costa Del Fal said:

Looksl ike a dry week ahead. I can't be excited by ppn about a week away. Always is the case with snow. I applaud those who have the energy to keep on chasing it. I am all for it but i shall just be happy if it arrives. 

Quite agree looking dry this coming 

week,always the chance of a trough 

Cropping up out of the blue though

country file forecast later should

shed some more light on the situation at least there will be some cracking 

frosts to wake up to

C.S

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Quite agree looking dry this coming 

week,always the chance of a trough 

Cropping up out of the blue though

country file forecast later should

shed some more light on the situation at least there will be some cracking 

frosts to wake up to

C.S

Yep, quite right CS, after the last 3 months, and the last couple of days that will be brill.Maybe the odd dusting overnight to wake up to late in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't care what anyone says, something HAS changed...especially with regards to convective weather types. Infact, Kev, I'm pretty sure you noted the same thing at some point over the past year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Cold and dry, good, maybe I can get into the paddock and finally finish building my polytunnel which I started back in Dec. It's been wetter than an otter's pocket out there and I'm fed up with wading through slop! 

Posted

Wish the model thread was locked to certain members and you after be a proven member before you post! It just gets ruined by idiots when a cold spell is in the pipe line!!!

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 3

Posted

What's the precipitation been like this month? I've only had 28mm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 hours ago, Love Snow said:

Wish the model thread was locked to certain members and you after be a proven member before you post! It just gets ruined by idiots when a cold spell is in the pipe line!!!

In my opinion it gets far more ruined by people who tell others that they shouldn't enjoy the buzz of the run up to a cold spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Looks like a cold January

Our own strat guru Recretos chatting to Dr Ventrice in the comments.

Posted
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

In my opinion it gets far more ruined by people who tell others that they shouldn't enjoy the buzz of the run up to a cold spell.

thatll be me then.... unless theres a real cold spell that WILL bring a dumping of snow. the rest is just hot air (sic). i cannot understand why one should get excited about something that isnt likely to happen. what makes it worse is the never ending moaning by those who were suckered in , believing fi charts, getting all excited like a child at christmas - then moaning when it goes pear shaped. i can see no point in putting yourself through that at all.

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I don't care what anyone says, something HAS changed...especially with regards to convective weather types. Infact, Kev, I'm pretty sure you noted the same thing at some point over the past year.

but the facts dont support your idea based on 20 odd years of weather watching? i can more then double that mate, i mentioned the early 70's, and i remember similar rumblings about the lack of snowy winters. there was next to no snow from 71-77 - then the winters of 77-82 proved the concerns were misplaced.

mind you regarding convective weather types - i have some sympathy with this -

what first got me into weather was thunderstorms. and since september 15th 1973, i, here in derby, have not had one of the super storms that we had annually. true, theres been one or two decent storms, but most are just indistinct areas of grey cloud with 'farty' thunderclaps in them

from (the limit of my memory) the mid 60's to 73, storms always tracked up from the south, off france. the sky darkened south of west, southeasterly breeze. you could hear the distant thunder, we could see the baseline, we saw the squall and updrafts creating dramatic cloudforms. we could see the grey base where it rained and the lightning was observed, we got real thunder, real lightning, it was violent and loud. areas to our west got it first, areas to our east last, as it tracked (at an angle) northwards. then it cleared up, the storm passed and the sun came out again. not like these times when we seem to get several days of cool grey cloud after a jaffa cakes poor excuse of a 'storm', in fact i wouldnt describe it as a storm, but every time it thunders is regarded as a 'storm'.

i was begining to doubt my memory, untill i witnessed a storm like this in spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Looking like a lovely weekend. Gale-force East winds with the risk of driving(cold) rain.

Dosen't get better than that:wallbash:

Why can't we get these synoptics in winter,proper. Such a shame.

• Like 1