Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
20 hours ago, Peter H said:

I can't remember any winters in the 1960's that didn't have at least one snow event, and I recall a significant snowfall here in early March '64.

Then again, there was a major snow event on a north westerly here in late January 1973 after a mostly very mild December/January and no one on these forums seems to remember that.

I mention it from time to time (if it's the one I guess you're referring to):

Rrea00119730214.gif

February 1973 generally had more snow than usual in the west, though it was a dry month in the east and thus not particularly snowy there, with alternating mild and cold spells.

My concern this winter is that we've been seeing the effects of the much warmer Arctic.  I can't help but feel that, for example, the northerly in mid-January and the current north-easterly, had they occurred prior to 2005, would have brought falling and lying snow to inland parts of eastern Scotland and north-east England without much difficulty, with more marginal conditions near the coast.    Instead, there has been a lot of sleet and wet snow which only settled locally.

Frontal snow setups have usually been marginal and reliant on evaporative cooling, but there was a time when, living in Tyneside, I would see forecasts of a deep northerly or north-easterly with sunshine and snow showers and expect falling and lying snow.  The main reason why north-eastern Britain often got relatively little snow between 1988 and 2004 is that northerlies and north-easterlies rarely blew in some winters.  This is probably because there was surprisingly little warming in the region from Svalbard across to the Barents/Kara Seas before 2005.  

But that area had a significant step-change towards warmer winters in 2005, and it seems to have spread: in January and early February 2016, the entire Arctic has been insanely warm for the time of year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Have to say will be glad of some Spring warmth and the sooner the better. Not sure why people want cold and snow in March ,I would rather be outside than sitting indoors looking at snow through the window.

Edited by Isabellesnanny
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

nope.... warmth over cold anyday, unless its a driving blizzard forget it, and wednesday as nick says looks utterly foul. at least warm rain wont cost us money heating, and pollute the planet by heating.

yes, prefer warm rain, but prefer dry at 1C than wet at 15C, or any temp really 20+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, prefer warm rain, but prefer dry at 1C than wet at 15C, or any temp really 20+

but a dry 1c isnt on the cards for wednesday... ID prefer a dry 1c to the cold raw wet 4c odd we are likely to get...

and any snow will be wet slush, which is neither use nor orniment. its looking just bloody awful for everyone.

Edited by mushymanrob
typo

Posted

not for wednesday, just in general, I posted my thoughts for horrendous wednesday earlier in this thread

Posted

As has been indicated for some we are still looking at the end of the week as the transition to a westerly regime and with the jet recharging it's batteries a return to some wet and windy weather, especially in the north. There will be drier spells with the south copping the best of these and temps will be around average

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.9fe5e72gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.544f22ac10gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.d76509146e

That takes us to the end of February

093a77fcbaa7d4da857cbd27d45d3a82.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no
1 hour ago, knocker said:

As has been indicated for some we are still looking at the end of the week as the transition to a westerly regime and with the jet recharging it's batteries a return to some wet and windy weather, especially in the north. There will be drier spells with the south copping the best of these and temps will be around average

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.9fe5e72gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.544f22ac10gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.d76509146e

That takes us to the end of February

093a77fcbaa7d4da857cbd27d45d3a82.jpg

Beware the hides of March..... dont want to get a burnt finger now do we :)

Posted

Wettest winters on record for England and Wales

455.5 2014

423.0 1915

420.9 1990

415.6 1995

388.3 1994

380.6 1869

374.3 1960

373.5 1916

363.0 1966

362.0 1937

~343  2016

Scotland

604.5 2014

~599  2016

Northern Ireland

452.2 1994

412.7 1995

407.7 1984

390.1 2007

~389  2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Snow shield of the year goes to ..... Thanet absolutely 120% for not having a single flake of snow. Pathetic on the east coast too

Posted

not sure why theres fuss over possible back edge snow on wednesday - falling onto wet ground? surely itll just be a slushy mess.

Posted

as I said earlier in the thread, wednesday is an absolute shocker washout for West midlands, full timed for the day, SE England get lucky, dry wednesday dry thursday, timed for the night, meto surely to issue flood warnings for north west/midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
25 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

as I said earlier in the thread, wednesday is an absolute shocker washout for West midlands, full timed for the day, SE England get lucky, dry wednesday dry thursday, timed for the night, meto surely to issue flood warnings for north west/midlands

or snow warnings especially the Peak District, all charts this morning show potential snow risk. This could still go either way. Have some positivity lol. :cc_confused:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

not sure why theres fuss over possible back edge snow on wednesday - falling onto wet ground? surely itll just be a slushy mess.

Indeed.....any front edge snow looks very marginal away from the higher parts of Scotland, so we are reliant on the undercutting cold air to turn the rain to snow. Considering most places will have seen a soaking before this process gets underway, your 'slushy mess' is probably best case scenario for lowland areas imo, with cold rain or sleet being the most likely options. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I'd be happy with a slushy mess after the last 3 winters we've had. Beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

I'd be happy with a slushy mess after the last 3 winters we've had. Beggars can't be choosers.

In that case I hope you get it and maybe even something a bit better, but I'm afraid the kind of rain to sleet/snow to mild Atlantic just doesn't cut it for me.....would rather see it stay dry so the ground could continue it's slow recovery.

• Like 1

Posted

well if today is the worst this winter can throw at us......

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I haven't seen ANY snow for two and a half years, and I've tried as much as possible to even avoid this forum. The models have been all over the place and every time I see all that cold air blasting its way into NE states, I just give up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
6 hours ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Just to see snow falling for a few hours would be nice and certainly better than getting NOTHING as at present. Obviously a covering and more prolonged snowfall would be appreciated even more.

Posted
8 hours ago, snowangel32 said:

or snow warnings especially the Peak District, all charts this morning show potential snow risk. This could still go either way. Have some positivity lol. :cc_confused:

yes, I think snow warnings for peak district, Pennines and Staffs moorlands might be issued, flood warnings for west midlands SW and Wales

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

Lovely day

certainly unusual to see clouds coming in from that direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Looks like another marginal setup for the midweek potential snow event. Nothing to get excited about until much nearer the time, that is if things haven't headed the wrong way by then! If no Met Office warnings by tomorrow then definitely nothing to waste any time on.