• Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That's a common misconception! -ize is actually the original... :D

http://grammarist.com/spelling/realise-realize/

just used it in scrabble! got me 75 points, facebook scrabble allows it

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

am i being thick here, i dont understand this... ?....

Question was asked surely winters (referring to those of decades ago) weren't as mild as this or 2013-14  I point out that mildest winter on record  currently was set in 1868-69 and two years after the famous severe winter of 1683-84, was one of the mildest winters on record. Infact 1685-86 is 6th warmest in the CET records.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Question was asked surely winters (referring to those of decades ago) weren't as mild as this or 2013-14  I point out that mildest winter on record  currently was set in 1868-69 and two years after the famous severe winter of 1683-84, was one of the mildest winters on record. Infact 1685-86 is 6th warmest in the CET records.

oh i get it, thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
47 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That's a common misconception! -ize is actually the original... :D

http://grammarist.com/spelling/realise-realize/

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/

to me, -ize looks like it sounds, with a nice zzzz sound, more so than -ise, which always sounds more hissing when I see it, as in concise, even though plenty of words have to have to have -ise, like surprise. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Indeed there could be a theme there of getting extreme Winters on opposite ends of the spectrum in close succession. Almost like mother nature balancing out these anomalies. After all wasn't Winter 1963/64 quite mild with little snow? Also after the generally cold and snowy Winters of the late 70s to mid 80s (which followed a period of mild Winters in the early to mid 70s), the late 80s Winters especially that of 1988/89 were quite a swing in the opposite direction. And also considering that the early 20th century was dominated with average to mild Winters up until the 40s it's interesting to note that from then onwards (excluding the bulk of the 70s and 90s) the century was dominated by average to cold Winters with nearly all the coldest ones with the exception of Winter 1916/17 occurring from 1940 onwards (though there were a few very mild ones from time to time like 1974/75 and 1988/89) and it does seem like overall the Winter quarter of the second half of the 20th century was colder than that of the first half or at least you would think so (maybe that's something you could work out with your knowledge of weather stats WH?).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a horrible, horrible 'winter'...and I thought last year's was dire enough..we keep horses so we have had  endless months of  wind and rain misery,  ruined fields, no grass , mud and even more mud. Just grateful we live up in the Chilterns, my heart goes out to all those effected by flooding, the homes, businesses, crops ruined and livestock drowned. Every year, I make a vow not to look at Netweather seven day forecasts....too many hopes of snow dashed...The worse was 95 percent of snow changed to zero with an hour of its forecast arrival...:wallbash:

Edited by Ravendane
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

It's strange but even though the charts look good for this weekend it's not translating into anything cold or wintry.

For me, winter is over at this stage of the game.

Looking forward to summer and the brighter evening again. Fed up with "winter" (if you could call it that) now.

• Like 2

Posted

After all wasn't Winter 1963/64 quite mild with little snow?

I can remember snow in the winter of 63/34.

All of the winters in the 1960's were a hell of a lot colder than this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Ok thanks for that...you obviously know your records as per your name :) So what record are we looking to beat this winter? is it since CET records began?

Interesting with the dates you have referred to with such a cold winter followed by such a mild one so soon after...some sort of solar impact?

6 minutes ago, Peter H said:

It's strange but even though the charts look good for this weekend it's not translating into anything cold or wintry.

For me, winter is over at this stage of the game.

Looking forward to summer and the brighter evening again. Fed up with "winter" (if you could call it that) now.

A decent day out there, a bit nippy but dry and with the brightness, I felt that spring is around the corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

13/14 was worse for me, it will simply never be beaten. Completely snowless and the rain was just endless. 

At least this winter has had a snowfall and nowhere near as much rain down here, but even so it's been garbage.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

13/14 was worse for me, it will simply never be beaten. Completely snowless and the rain was just endless. 

At least this winter has had a snowfall and nowhere near as much rain down here, but even so it's been garbage.

where were you then? not Cannock I assume, wasn't that wet here, not like some places SW and N/NW

Posted

Still looking at the end of the cold snap towards the end of next week although no complete agreement on the influence of the HP

ecm_eps_z500a_nh_8.thumb.png.a1590471350gefs_z500a_nh_29.thumb.png.d280d449856ab

Of course this could lead to the return of the odd nasty storm for the north.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_10.thumb.png.bec7ba6b

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

where were you then? not Cannock I assume, wasn't that wet here, not like some places SW and N/NW

Reading. Central-Southern England was just completely washed out that year.

Rain_Winter20141.gif

Nothing will beat the misery of that winter.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Reading. Central-Southern England was just completely washed out that year.

Rain_Winter20141.gif

Nothing will beat the misery of that winter.

yes, I think the lows tracked a bit further South that year, NW dosen't look as wet as this year, also this year seen a bit more snow, where as 13-14 just 11th Feb and few flakes on 30th Jan, but turned milder by afternoon

Posted
27 minutes ago, knocker said:

Still looking at the end of the cold snap towards the end of next week although no complete agreement on the influence of the HP

ecm_eps_z500a_nh_8.thumb.png.a1590471350gefs_z500a_nh_29.thumb.png.d280d449856ab

Of course this could lead to the return of the odd nasty storm for the north.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_10.thumb.png.bec7ba6b

In like a lion out like a lamb.

A cold week(below average) followed by a spell of blustery weather from the W,NW,and NNW , (average temps)  Does seem likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Much better run on the 18z for wed/Thursday next week it clearly has the front stalling which is what we want to see, hopefully nearer the timeframe that mild sector gets mixed out as the cold gets entrenched. But if that front stalls somewhere could get 24 hours of snow where the boundaries meet. Why can't we just for once say it's going to snow without all this marginal debate this winter has been a form of torture for coldies lol.

Can't argue with that, sitting here in the SE with an east wind and only rain coming down, not sure we'll see any snow at all. DP just doesn't want to drop. Temp sitting at 3.3. Looks like the wave over the SW at the moment is more pronounced than on the models which has helped to keep things slightly warmer on it's SE side.

• Like 1

Posted

Being an island nation means that marginal snow events are the norm. Getting a straightforward, widespread no nonsense snow event is not a particularly common occurrence and has never really been the case unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, even when cold air is entrenched already, if a frontal incursion from the West if it gets far enough East to deliver widespread meaningful precipitation intensity then its rare to see an all snow event, some places to the West or SW usually see rain, the nearest thing to a perferct battleground ive ever seen was 5th Feb 1996, the only way to guarantee an all snow event is with proper high latitude blocking but with a Northerly you can get the wishbone effect and with an Easterly you still usually see places in the West missing out, there will always be someone unhappy unfortunately but I would rather take my chances with the latter scenario than risk a slush fest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Mention was made of winter 1963/64 earlier.

Winter of 1963/64 was very dry and anticyclonic, therefore frequently foggy. There was snow in southern England around 12th January but little over the remainder of the winter. If I had been alive then, the mid-January event would haver been my 'fix' of the winter and the rest would not have been so 'tedious'. 

1963/64 was the driest winter locally (69.1 mm) until 1975/76 (65.1 mm) and the notorious 1991/92 winter (53.7 mm). All three of these winters were anticyclonic and there were impressive frosts in Decembers of 1975 and 1991 and cold spells in Januaries of 1976 and 1992. There was slight snow in 1976 (late January) but 1992 was 'barren' and snowless.

Edited by Severe Blizzard
Forgot to include a quote

Posted

I can't remember any winters in the 1960's that didn't have at least one snow event, and I recall a significant snowfall here in early March '64.

Then again, there was a major snow event on a north westerly here in late January 1973 after a mostly very mild December/January and no one on these forums seems to remember that.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
6 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It's used to keep records tidy for data comparisons, nothing more.

'realized' is the American spelling btw. :p

While realize is indeed the preferred North American spelling, it is the older of the two and was the more widely used in British English before the 20th Century.  

The only reason I know this admittedly pedantic and worthless information is that I was myself corrected on it a few years back. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving this cold spell,makes one feel so alive taking a early walk in such crisp fresh air,so much better than in a few months i fear when the stupid o clock sunrises make their dreaded return!

• Like 1