Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
38 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well it just means nowadays, can be used to describe anything, m☺dern era music, anything, but I do believe since around 99/2000 our winters are on average slowly getting milder

I totally agree with this. As a lad I can remember many winters with good snowfall even in my unlikely and unfavourable location. To emphasise I have a son of 30 years who has probably never seen more than 3 inches of snow in his lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

What exactly is the m@dern era and when did it supposedly become established? 

It is the period of time that we are currently living through. 

I have a Times editorial during the winter of 1928-29 which mentions modern frosts and they talk about winters not being like to what they use to be and then you go back about 40 years from then and  a Times editorial saying that mild winters are more common than severe ones.

And go back to the 1850s and a comment by a weather observer saying that it was an old fashioned winter despite people convince that the seasons had changed.

There is nothing modern about it, it's as old as the Ark.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, if it started in 1999 ish, and yuk hate christmas pudding

Why 1999 ish? After all I know you seem to think the 90s were a cold Winters decade which it wasn't (except Winters 1990-91 and 1995-96 and at a push 1993-94 and 1996-97 which is less than half of the 90s Winters). Why not 1988 ish or for that matter most of the 70s when there were 6 mild and pretty snowless Winters in a row from Winter 1971-72 to Winter 1976-77. Or for that matter 1900 ish when there were only a handful of cold and snowy Winters up until the Second World War, when there was quite a contrast from then up until the beginning of the 70s. Don't forget also that we had a cluster (longer lasting than anything the 90s had to offer) of cold Winters from Winter 2008/09 to (Winter 2011/12 pretty much excepted) to Winter 2012/13 which contained some pretty impressive cold and snow stats like has been mentioned the coldest Winter overall since 1978/79 (2009/10), the coldest December since 1890 (2010, which was the most remarkable record of all) and the coldest March since 1962 (2013, which was technically Spring but nonetheless). Indeed if we are living in a so called 'christmas pudding' that recent period (only a meagre 3 years ago) would have been so unlikely to happen, it wouldn't have done.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

Yep, as I've said before, the general set-up was all wrong for a decent cold winter in UK from the very outset.

And, has been for the past couple of years really.

So, I don't think it's just down to the strong El Nino influence.

I think it's time to end the angst, constant disappointments and heartache.

Today, I'm officially giving-up the chase for winter 2015/16   :wallbash:

I gave up in mid-December - by then all the signs were there that this winter would be by and large be a no show, very mild November and the continuation of consistent mild conditons. I said back then (I believe in this thread) that I'd be very surprised to see any real cold spell before the end of January if at all this winter. The strong el-nino effects were already being shown by then and considering we've had many a consistent mild winter even without this was always going to be a mild one but didn't believe it would be record breaking - some of the conditions we experienced in November/December were mind boggling and didn't think after the dire winter of 2013/14 we'd experience a worse one (in terms of mildness so soon).

We might have to wait a few more winters before when awe approach solar minima before good snow hopes (countrywide) start showing once more.

Posted

Good times for us coldies in the next 30 years or so re sycle 25(and different cycles in the sun) amo going cold and that the temp has flatlined on earth.And Joe B's triple cooling lol.

Law of averages say nxt year will be better,especially with e qbo and la nina to start with.And if not we've the winter after lol.

• Like 2

Posted

I see it's the fault of the models now! Silly me, thinking it was excessive ramping from some people who ought to know better, added to the eagerness of some to be taken in by anybody or any model showing them snow.

Never mind, it'll soon be May & we'll be chasing 1976 like charts & thundery events which hardly ever come to pass either, there's just fewer of us around to witness it :D.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, joggs said:

Good times for us coldies in the next 30 years or so re sycle 25(and different cycles in the sun) amo going cold and that the temp has flatlined on earth.And Joe B's triple cooling lol.

Law of averages say nxt year will be better,especially with e qbo and la nina to start with.And if not we've the winter after lol.

Yes I do, hehe :yahoo::hi::D… I keep saying this!! Look to the past, for the future

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

I see it's the fault of the models now! Silly me, thinking it was excessive ramping from some people who ought to know better, added to the eagerness of some to be taken in by anybody or any model showing them snow.

Never mind, it'll soon be May & we'll be chasing 1976 like charts & thundery events which hardly ever come to pass either, there's just fewer of us around to witness it :D.

Been saying that also about 1976, lol… :hi:

Posted

Wettest winters on record for England and Wales

455.5 2014

423.0 1915

420.9 1990

415.6 1995

388.3 1994

380.6 1869

374.3 1960

373.5 1916

363.0 1966

362.0 1937

340.0 1977

337.7 1912

~337  2016

Scotland

604.5 2014

~596  2016

Northern Ireland

452.2 1994

412.7 1995

407.7 1984

390.1 2007

~381  2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

posts popping up on the md thread suggesting the 'snow event' is back 'on' for wednesday.

if it shows this on tuesday, i might start to believe it, to me its looking unlikely away from higher ground - peak district northwards. even if it did snow i reckon it wouldnt settle, for long at best. ok if this will give you your 'snow fix' then fair play.

Posted
46 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

posts popping up on the md thread suggesting the 'snow event' is back 'on' for wednesday.

if it shows this on tuesday, i might start to believe it, to me its looking unlikely away from higher ground - peak district northwards. even if it did snow i reckon it wouldnt settle, for long at best. ok if this will give you your 'snow fix' then fair play.

Quite agree - wouldn't even label it transitory. Shows the desperation I suppose 

Posted
51 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Yes excitement mounts as this morning's installment unfolds but how active will it be?

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_18.thumb.png.7b8c76c1gfs_pwat_eur3_18.thumb.png.4878878336a9b

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

disagree with MOD then, snow is only going to happen in the north, at elevation, I'm dreading wednesday shocker rain timed right for daylight hours, 8 till 6, wouldn't mind it at night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
18 hours ago, Weather-history said:

January 1937 Times editorial

Note the first lines

Jan1937z.jpg

Then back to December 1891

times91a.jpg

Isn't this all relative though?...we know there were mild periods and decades going back a century or more with some colder winters but surley the winters weren't as mild as say as this winter or 2013/14?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Isn't this all relative though?...we know there were mild periods and decades going back a century or more with some colder winters but surley the winters weren't as mild as say as this winter or 2013/14?

I thought the record winter we were trying to beat was set in the late eighteen hundreds.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Warmest winter on record was in 1868-69, two years after the famous severe winter of 1683-84 was one of the mildest winters on record.

What I find fascinating is that Times editorial of December 1891 was a year after the coldest December on record, 10 years after January 1881, the severe winter of 1878-79 was just 13 years previous and yet they still say that severe winters are less common than mild ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks heavens the UK hasn't imported that ridiculous view from the USA of the winter. Every time I hear spring starts 21st March or Winter starts 21st December it sends me into a tirade. I mean whats the astronomical calendar got to do with meteorology. Forecasters should always use the met terms IMO.

I just realized this might sound a bit daft! given of course the earths orbit and solstices but forecasters should stick to using the met seasons and not the astro ones.

It's used to keep records tidy for data comparisons, nothing more.

'realized' is the American spelling btw. :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Warmest winter on record was in 1868-69, two years after the famous severe winter of 1683-84 was one of the mildest winters on record.

am i being thick here, i dont understand this... ?....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
20 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's used to keep records tidy for data comparisons, nothing more.

'realized' is the American spelling btw. :p

That's a common misconception! -ize is actually the original... :D

http://grammarist.com/spelling/realise-realize/

• Like 1