Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

No posts in the main model thread for over seven hours in the middle of Winter. 

Says it all really  

It's a shocker that's why with one low after another barrelling into the UK. I don't care what the teleconnections or GLOSEA5 says, but until we see a lowering of heights over Europe things won't change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

always 'mid month' when cold due to arrive! I'm still waiting for mid Dec 2013's cold, guessing cold won't arrive mid Feb, then late Feb, then mid Mar, typical posts on here , straw clutching really, very typical of the christmas pudding

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Parts of Taiwan have reported snow including Taipei.

Yeah,intresting listen.

• Like 1

Posted

must admit its like groundhog day every day looking at the 0z runs.

I really dont want to see extensive northern blocking come april onwards.

I fear thats exactly whats going to happen though...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

( delete )

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I am so close to writing off this winter... really hoping the models start showing something even remotely seasonal let alone this. Got to say, the jet being in full blast at the end of January is as unusual as prolonged northerlies in high summer. I just hope we get something cold before mid Feb, and failing, that the end of Feb. By March, attention turns to more springlike conditions of the sunshine/showers variety and sunshine. Typically, we'll probably get more cold airstreams in March and April, writing off those months. May anyone?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

You can just tell we are heading for a horrible wet and cold spring, which is a bout as much use as T**s on a bull....!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

You could probably bet money that we'll see perfect winter blocking set-ups come spring, yes we can have cold & snow in March but we'll all be saying ''shame it didn't happen a few months ago'' or we could have a dry and settled spring then summer will probably be a washout!! 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Well I don't speak Taiwanese but the fact that falling snowflakes has made a news report shows the significance for them. Taipei is about 25N. 

In fact, much of China has been hit by an intense cold wave over the last few days although it's easing now. It also apparently snowed in Guangzhou for the first time in 60 years and it was close to freezing in Hong Kong. It was -17 here in Beijing on Saturday with a near gale-force wind - not pleasant at all!

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

You could probably bet money that we'll see perfect winter blocking set-ups come spring, yes we can have cold & snow in March but we'll all be saying ''shame it didn't happen a few months ago'' or we could have a dry and settled spring then summer will probably be a washout!! 

our climate is slowly starting to get very depressing liam esp for us in the north wet of england..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I blame it on the jet stream, which for the last decade seems to have set up position at 50 degrees north for 12 months of the year. Dreary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

seems we are getting summer synoptics in winter and winter synoptics in summer...we would have had a very nice summer so far if the last 2 months set up had occurred in June and July

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
10 hours ago, TEITS said:

The only positive for me is a certain forecaster who is always predicting the next ice age, has produced the most inaccurate forecast in the history of  Meteorology!

Despite only a few frosts and no days of snowfalling, I am sure this person will take credit because a snowflake fell on top of Ben Nevis.

some on the md thread too.... noticable by their absence...

meanwhile the charts ARE suggesting a large trough over scandinavia in a few days time onwards. gp looks like calling that correctly in part at least (without the western ridge).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
On 24/11/2015 at 5:15 PM, *Sub*Zero* said:

R.I.P winter 2015-16...  :rofl:

post-9615-0-04966200-1448385321_thumb.pn

Posted this 2 months ago and we are still waiting for winter to bite... lol But I did have a cm or two of snow last weekend which is more than I've had for a while!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

this winter is rapidly turning into yet another abysmal period which I would rather forget.  After all the forecast predicting a winter of two halves with the second being much colder and snowier now not coming to fruition it seems I for one will be glad to see the back of this depressingly mild and wet Autumn....I mean winter.  The UK weather patterns need to buck their ideas up and banish the jet stream once and for all.  Fed up to say the least.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Cycling to work wearing cycling shorts instead of leggings again and not feeling cold at all. Love it.

at least you're happy. 

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I am so close to writing off this winter... really hoping the models start showing something even remotely seasonal let alone this. Got to say, the jet being in full blast at the end of January is as unusual as prolonged northerlies in high summer. I just hope we get something cold before mid Feb, and failing, that the end of Feb. By March, attention turns to more springlike conditions of the sunshine/showers variety and sunshine. Typically, we'll probably get more cold airstreams in March and April, writing off those months. May anyone?

yes I am sure that knowing the way the UK weather patterns go we will start getting the right 'cold' patterns appearing in April/May, when they are no use to anyone and we will have a cold spring which will just be an extension of what we are experiencing now.  Why the UK always produces what we want, but at the wrong times of the year is just so annoying.  I give up with this countries weather now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I was lucky enough to spend a week in iceland after Christmas and it's definitely a place I would consider living. Would highly recommend it to anyone. 

Shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 minutes ago, snow freak said:

yes I am sure that knowing the way the UK weather patterns go we will start getting the right 'cold' patterns appearing in April/May, when they are no use to anyone and we will have a cold spring which will just be an extension of what we are experiencing now.  Why the UK always produces what we want, but at the wrong times of the year is just so annoying.  I give up with this countries weather now.

Yep, move like I did. Our problem over here is drought conditions, increasingly hot summers and mild winters. Some low lying parts of Austria still not had snow yet as well. If you are going to move , live at 1000m asl to see snow lying for more than a week or two.  I lived in Vancouver for a while and only saw rainy mild winters there, so not exclusive to swampy blighty. Snow we have at the moment soon to start melting as freezing level shots higher up the mountain this week.

C

Posted

Well Chionomaniac has just said that he can't see any help from the strat now to save this Winter.

So,  indeed on the 25th January,  Winter is over. 

I'll bet Spring is freezing though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Even if people don't like cold Iceland in Summer is just as beautiful; be in Reykjavik if you want people, culture and going out, stay further afield if you like the vast outdoors and getting away from crowds. Plus you get the Northern Lights, volcanos and maybe the odd earthquake! Of course, they put us Brits to shame by speaking good English. Their footbal team's doing pretty well too!

I'm just looking for a winter break (or rather a break to actually find some winter), has anyone been to Tromso, northern Norway? Any other recommendations? Not a ski person really, just looking for a place with enough to do and see for a few days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, snow freak said:

Indeed, if ever there was a sentence that perfectly encapsulates things for the UK it has to be' right synoptics, wrong time of year' During May/June will will almost certainly see N winds progged to blast down across us at T+240hr and come the day there will have been no eastward correction whatsoever, meaning we will find ourselves directly under a 400 mile wide sausage of -5c 850's, that stop in the middle of the English Channel and then helps pump +10c 850's back up into Iceland. The UK has always had what I would call a largely 'uninteresting, climate, unless of course wind and rain is of interest then you are in Nirvana, but from what I can see unfolding the current changes are only going to make things even worse...if that is possible! 

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 1