Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
40 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

too right Backtrack, he's on my ignore list, cannot be bothered with him

That's a relief as I would hate to think my delphic musings were falling on stony ground.

Posted
On 21/12/2015 at 10:17 PM, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with this Winter now. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving up hope completely but it seems that we may have to wait till mid February now to get anything and to be fair that's way beyond the reliable so can't have great confidence. It was easier back in December and early January because at that point we were still only in the first half of Winter so felt we still had plenty of time left. Sure March 2013 proved how cold and snowy March can potentially be, but to be fair that was surely an exception so to expect that this year or any particular year for that matter is in the unlikely category. It's a bit annoying also how the north eastern USA is yet again for a third Winter running getting the depths of snow I would love to have here when the best i've had in that time is a transitory dusting. I know they're more prone to cold and snowy weather there so it's more normal and likely for them but it doesn't stop me feeling a little bit envious. Wish I was born there sometimes. It's annoying that our media feels the need to report on it though as if it is at all relevant to us. Their media would never report a heavy blizzard in the UK. I just have to hope that February and at a long shot March changes our fortunes, otherwise it's going to be a third Winter in a row that have been pants for snow round here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
16 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with this Winter now. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving up hope completely but it seems that we may have to wait till mid February now to get anything and to be fair that's way beyond the reliable so can't have great confidence. It was easier back in December and early January because at that point we were still only in the first half of Winter so felt we still had plenty of time left. Sure March 2013 proved how cold and snowy March can potentially be, but to be fair that was surely an exception so to expect that this year or any particular year for that matter is in the unlikely category. It's a bit annoying also how the north eastern USA is yet again for a third Winter running getting the depths of snow I would love to have here when the best i've had in that time is a transitory dusting. I know they're more prone to cold and snowy weather there so it's more normal and likely for them but it doesn't stop me feeling a little bit envious. Wish I was born there sometimes. It's annoying that our media feels the need to report on it though as if it is at all relevant to us. Their media would never report a heavy blizzard in the UK. I just have to hope that February and at a long shot March changes our fortunes, otherwise it's going to be a third Winter in a row that have been pants for snow round here.

Our media would struggle to report on a heavy blizzard here as they've no experience of it, certainly in lowland Britain in the 24 hour news era although no doubt they would big up a light dusting into severe wintry conditions.

hopefully we'll get our chance of some decent snowy conditions before this winter is out although it's not looking promising at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Princeton NJ today.

Theyve got another 12 hours of it to come. National Guard are busy. My friend promises more shots tomorrow when the blizzard stops. Got to be about 4 ft by then. 

PS. That road in the last frame has already been ploughed so is supposed to be clear - Just WOW!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Our media would struggle to report on a heavy blizzard here as they've no experience of it, certainly in lowland Britain in the 24 hour news era although no doubt they would big up a light dusting into severe wintry conditions.

hopefully we'll get our chance of some decent snowy conditions before this winter is out although it's not looking promising at the moment.

Yeah there has undoubtedly been a decrease in snowy episodes in the UK and by extension north western Europe in general since around the late 80s (though there was a rather snowless period in the early to mid 70s from what I can gather). At the time I thought 2009 was perhaps the beginning of a new era out of that lull (Winter 2011/12 excepted, at least round here) but we haven't had anything of note since March 2013 now and that's almost 3 years ago. I know we can't expect a Winter 2009/10, a December 2010 or a Winter 2012/13 every year but 3 mild and almost snowless Winters in a row feels like a lot. Still even if we get nothing this Winter now surely Winter 2016/17 will at least be a bit colder. I remember reading a post on this forum a few weeks back (forget by who) that mild Winters often come in threes and then provided examples, though the only one I can remember from that list is that after Winter 1986/87 we had 3 mild Winters (1987/88, 1988/89 and 1989/90) then we had the cold snowy Winter of 1990/91 (at least in early December 1990 here then early February 1991 nationwide). So maybe next Winter will be better for us cold and snow lovers, even if this one ultimately doesn't produce (even though it still might, fingers crossed).

Posted

How anyone could wish the US storm is strange? At least twelve people dead. I bet the bereaved families will hate snow with a vengeance for ever more

• Like 2

Posted

How anyone could wish the US storm is strange? At least twelve people dead. I bet the bereaved families will hate snow with a vengeance for ever more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

People die because of all sorts of weather, most often because they ignore it, trying to drive when they don't need to and such, apparently shovelling snow is one of the main causes. I suffer badly in extreme heat and know to stay indoors, put on what air conditioning I can and wait it out. I imagine that others do similar with storms, snow etc. I wouldn't want those who like warm weather to miss out on what they want.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'm pretty sure that no one on here wants to see loss of life but many get a buzz from being a part of something extreme and in all honesty there is probably more people die in this country from the effects of insufficient sunlight than through severe weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
14 minutes ago, Roy said:

All people here are wishing for is normal winter and summer weather, instead of this perpetual windy, wet, and mild weather in winter, and windy, wet, and cool weather in summer.

I detest this sort of winter weather, and we've now had about five completely snowless winters in a row with this annoying strong "jet stream" due to cold weather in North America.

It's very frustrating watching this winter after winter.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Lets be fair here how many on here only post cold charts and then when they are not showing 'hide'

Maybe the mod thread should be re-named "The Hunt for Murr" !!

• Like 3

Posted

Along with James Maddan predicting a big freeze and the coldest winter in living memory every October.

One these days he'll get it right, but I'll probably be dead by that stage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 hours ago, Roy said:

No one wants people to die. My friend is staying inside until the blizzard is over tomorrow - he's an artist/photographer - then he'll go out and take some shots. Apparently, it's not that cold ... yet. People adapt to this stuff, called a North Easterly and they've happened before and will happen again. Last year it was further north and NJ got a covering, but Boston had 6 FOOT. roofs were collapsing under the weight.

I'm planning to relocate Stateside this/next year and had visions of living out in the back woods. Now I'm not so sure.  I couldn't manage this without huge logistic planning in the middle of nowhere. Yes it's bad when people miscalculate, but common sense comes into it. The worst thing you can do is leave your car. Clear it when the blizzard stops and just wait, don't set off without a blanket, thermos, chocolate and charged phone. 

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 5

Posted

Indeed, people die here because of the wind and rain, not generally snow.

As you say, it's not that cold over there and parts of Canada like Calgary and Edmonton are having temperatures above freezing, unusual I think for those parts at this time of year ?

But this drizzle and murk along with this perpetual mildness winter after winter is simply depressing.

I was a child/teenager in the 1960's and winters were never, ever like this. Now it seems to be the norm with snow and frost a very rare exception.

Oh, and summer here last year was really bad, especially July which was very wet and cool.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

Posted

Ian Fergusson ‏@fergieweather 2h2 hours ago

Awful conditions stateside: so many livelihoods & businesses affected. We're lucky our temperate isles rarely see such extreme disruption.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Sick of the pathetic winter weather in this country. Boring dull and rubbish.

Game over now for this winter, in my opinion. Nearly into February and just a load of mild dross for the foreseeable.

Edited by The Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted

The winter storm that's creating tragedy and havoc races across the Atlantic to bring severe gales and rain to the UK on Tuesday.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_6.thumb.png.5774b30f04gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_9.thumb.png.5a45f96353gfs_uv200_atl_10.thumb.png.cc0524f7afdba

gfs_mslp_pcpn_eu_11.thumb.png.e0af251216

That's some jet

gfs_uv200_atl_30.thumb.png.63751fecff427

Edited by knocker

Posted
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

The winter storm that's creating tragedy and havoc races across the Atlantic to bring severe gales and rain to the UK on Tuesday.

That's some jet

gfs_uv200_atl_30.thumb.png.63751fecff427

At lest them people stuck in America at the moment due to the winter storms will get home a little earlier from there flights if they ride the jet! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Ian Fergusson ‏@fergieweather 2h2 hours ago

Awful conditions stateside: so many livelihoods & businesses affected. We're lucky our temperate isles rarely see such extreme disruption.

Err has he forgotten the floods as a result of the mild, zonal weather we've had? Per capita I'd imagine that they were just as disruptive. If it's just 'had to close for a couple of days' that isn't disruption it's just a bit of a nuisance that you can get over.

Now tornados, earthquakes, floods - they do cause true disruption to lives.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Err, has he forgotten the floods as a result of the mild, zonal weather we've had? Per capita I'd imagine that they were just as disruptive. If it's just 'had to close for a couple of days' that isn't disruption it's just a bit of a nuisance that you can get over.

Now tornados, earthquakes, floods - they do cause true disruption to lives.

Well I'm not privy to what Ian has, or hasn't forgotten, but East Coast officials report at least 17 deaths related to massive snowstorm so I would consider that pretty disruptive to lives. In fact in my book that's a permanent disruption. Each to their own priority of course.

But why the hell does everything have to be a battle on here between peoples own preferences with one in particular taking preference?

Edited by knocker

Posted
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well I'm not privy to what Ian has, or hasn't forgotten, but East Coast officials report at least 17 deaths related to massive snowstorm so I would consider that pretty disruptive to lives. In fact in my book that's a permanent disruption. Each to their own priority of course.

But why the hell does everything have to be a battle on here between peoples own preferences with one in particular taking preference?

I think you posting that tweet indicated your preference  so presume you were after a reaction ?!

• Like 6