Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm trying to be realistic!  While I'm still a slight coldie, I'm getting more ambivalent regarding temperatures nowadays.  Though I must confess the lack of sun during November and December did affect me, I didn't really mind the warmth.

Back O/T, I have a feeling the long-range, global circulation types on here will be left emmbarrassed by the end of March regarding their predictions of colder synoptics in February.

I'm on that list too - after my succinct view of the GFS 12z which was to a degree backed up by Nick Sussex (which got many likes) and mine didn't, one poster actually calling my post drivel! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hmmm...it's difficult not to get excited but the Met Office/BBC forecasts are a concern.  They were right to peg back the cold spells of last winter which gave us just quick snow to rain events here in the West Mids when the models had at times suggested more.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Having looked through the charts and the comments on the model thread my considered opinion is that Steve Murr needs to charge his phone more frequently. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Gord said:

Hmmm...it's difficult not to get excited but the Met Office/BBC forecasts are a concern.  They were right to peg back the cold spells of last winter which gave us just quick snow to rain events here in the West Mids when the models had at times suggested more.

The more cynical/twisted side of me wonders if the recent politics/cuts surrounding the 2 organisations that is having an affect but this is not an appropriate place for that discussion

An absurd assumption I know. Being an ex-teacher and what I went through has poisoned my views on public ran organisations!

In what way? In that budget cuts means poorer quality advice?

I work for a 'public run organisation' (although not meteorology) and cuts don't affect advice - quality is the same you just work harder and without a pay rise :) 

The MetO is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. The public likes having someone to blame when things go wrong, and there seems to be an assumption amongst the populace that modelling chaotic systems is a doddle now. I've lost track of the amount of times I've heard some bright spark (who needs 'caution - contains hot liquid' written on Starbucks coffee cups) moaning that we can go into space but can't forecast the weather properly. As if chaotic systems are the same as understanding aerodynamics and propellants :D 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Its been so mild so far this winter , forgotten how to work the zip on my coat

Need to know now , cold out there.

coat zip.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Its been so mild so far this winter , forgotten how to work the zip on my coat

Need to know now , cold out there.

coat zip.jpg

I'm still going out wearing jeans and a tee-shirt!:D

Posted

2009 I think it was Susan Powell bbc weather 3.57pm forecast she showed a huge band of rain over northeast France coming up to hit the cold air over the southeast pushing up towards north of London one to watch she said could have 10-15cm at rush hour London are never forget it was due to be around 5-6 o'clock and guess what happened yep rain pure cold rain not even sleet .

So since that day I never watch there forecasts I take all there forecast now witha huge pinch of salt

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowboard Tennison Down said:

Christ they get tetchy on the mod thread if you dare post something they don't like!!  Bit tooooo serious really!!

What did you post? If it was off-topic then the mods will have got tetchy because that is the only place for technical discussion of model output and too much "banter" makes it ten times harder for anyone to follow and normally leads to a massive off-topic conversation. Given the incredibly high-volume of serious, informative discussion being had with the current interest the effect of this "banter/offtopicality" is tripled - which is why they're being so harsh.

If you just posted a different opinion of a models output to someone else and got shot down - yes some people are over-confident jerks.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Snowboard Tennison Down said:

Christ they get tetchy on the mod thread if you dare post something they don't like!!  Bit tooooo serious really!!

It is serious! It's the weather! :D

We get tetchy in here too...equal opportunities grumps :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

It will only be serious if we don't get snow on the IOW!!! Lol 

i commented on the models today with a bit of Hope it's like 2010 mixed in!  As you say DSP stuck up.  

Whats ya feelings for snow in Hampshire?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

But some people seem to post what they like and their posts remain, while others get noticed straight away....

I am going to go and darn my homemade handspun knitted winter socks, as it has been so many years since I needed them that the moths have eaten big holes  :angry:

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Perhaps you need to put yourself in the shoes of the team, there are hundreds of posts being made, 99% of them are fine and on topic. 1% aren't, we can't read every post.  Some  iffy ones are reported, some aren't. When we get a report, or see a problem, we act on it.

People using the thread want it to be about the models, that's the feedback we get over and over again, so we try to keep it that way. And all we're asking is people have a thought about what they're posting, and if it's not actually about the models (as your post wasn't) then post it in the relevant place. I don't think it's very much to ask.

In short if you couldn't realistically throw a chart of some sort in your post and have it make sense (you don't necessarily actually have to) it's probably not a model output post. That's rule I use anyway and it seems to have gone okay so far except one incident.

Posted
On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, tynevalleysnow said:

Yes but he was using earlier charts not the latest stonking ecm

lol, where will this post end up? Lets see.

Something not right here! Still cant post/ quote where inteded:cc_confused::cold-emoji:

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowboard Tennison Down said:

Thanks Deep Snow I will try and reference with some charts next time - when I have worked out how to do it.!! Tutorials anyone!?

On a computer - right click the chat and copy image.

On a smartphone - hold down on to the chart and copy image.

On a archaic phone - press the left button and scroll for copy image.

right click on your post and paste.

Obviously the rest of the post needs to be coherent as well. Don't just post a chart and then go "I'd jizz on that"

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, LeeTofficial said:

With alarming regularity. At least they might actually be vaguely in right hemisphere of weather for once. Coldest winter in 58 years - I doubt it. That would require extreme cold for Jan and Feb given Decembers average. I want to feel sorry for readers of the express, but anyone still reading it gets what they deserve.

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Paul said:

XXX

Is it me or have the express screen-capped those charts from your website. If so do they have (or even need in the first place) permission to do so?

Posted

Actually there watermarked with neatweather.tv on so the question is weather they have or need your permission to use them and if netweather have granted it to them why the heck?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

GFS 18z showing troughing lingering over the UK, bringing cold zonality for most, before the Atlantic powers through with a return to mild.

Posted

I see that people are once again getting carried away and becoming despondent with one model run and over-analysing every "out of place" pixel.

Will they never learn?

• Like 1