Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

That's put paid to that one!:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
On 03/01/2016 at 2:31 PM, Timbo said:

Happy new year to all.

The 15th to 20th January needs to put in the diary, this is the point that we will see major changes to sub zero temps and very snowy conditions.

i will explain more about this period over the next few days, but be prepared for some of the worst snowstorms on par with 87. 

well looks like my prediction is starting to shape up, 

As expected the Greeny High is gaining ground, 

Expect lows to run along the channel and also polar lows forming in disturbances in the Northerly flow.

Later in the period keep an eye on strong low pressure in Europe dragging in strong Easterlies and blizzards.  

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hopefully Gordon, still not really out of FI yet though, but safe to say wettest Jan ever is off

Indeed. At the very least we should see some drier weather.

Although in this country...you can never say never!

Just casting my mind back:

August 2003: Hot summers will be the norm from now on, we'll see more 100F temps.

Winter 2008: Snow is become very rare and possibly extinct in lowland England.

December 2013: It has to balance out at some point, it can't stay wet and stormy for the whole 3 months of winter.

You can never relax when Mother Nature has the final say...and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Stunning ECM 216 with the reload.

JMA goes a different route and brings the low from the SW through.

JN192-21.GIF?06-12

It will be interesting to watch how the models handle this feature in the later output because has the potential to have a fairly impact upon our weather one way or another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

KABUNKAM  ---   YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS -  BLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAARDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS

ECH1-240_nvb8.GIF

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nice ECM follows GFS thinking why can't it be T96. A rare agreement between the two at so far out. Can't it happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

think a new 'That ECM' 12Z on Wed 6th Jan, whether it comes off though who knows, but gets the forum buzzing! that's what we're here for

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 hours ago, knocker said:

I don't think that's a problem as I asked Sidney this morning whether he thought it would be a lengthy cold spell he snapped back, "nuts". I'm not sure whether it was a comment or a request.

Well I'd tell him the only thing likely to be hanging upside down off trees next week are icicles. :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some epic looking charts tonight, the ECM looks to good to be true just a shame the uppers aren't lower (my only complaint) lol... I don't think the charts could look much better to be honest! Now can we maintain such charts into next week that's my worry as they can't really upgrade much.... As Frosty said in the MOD - Winter is coming!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Guys,can we calm things down a bit.

Please think of other's at this time. I can hear Knocker crying from here and i'm 10 miles away.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The model charts section is very lively tonight I really hope there isn't a downgrade now after all this :).

People are saying on there they have not seen charts this good.

What were the charts like re 1946/47. 62/63 then. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

This could be better than 1947

Really wow.:)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snipper said:
1 hour ago, Snipper said:

Cold weather confirmed by the experts. Thank goodness. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/631670/Flood-Britain-misery-Arctic-blast-UK-weather

Well they've got to get it right eventually, I mean they weren't entirely off the mark with their prediction of UK wide snowdrifts starting from December until March... http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/611100/Winter-2015-Heavy-Snow-record-cold-weather-forecast-UK

The other thread seems completely schizophrenic at the moment from the point of view of a complete weather noob who still doesn't really understand what all these pretty coloured charts actually mean (lurking since around 2010, I really need to do my homework...). Seem to be setting themselves up for a fall if it doesn't come off as modeled or provide the goods in their location or last long enough or whatever.

I appreciate that the people posting in the model thread in the winter are going to be more interested in cold, wintry weather just as those posting in the summer are going to be looking for heatwaves and thunderstorms etc. And I also get that the weather in this country has been consistently uninspiring in recent years, this summer was a non-event in many parts and winter has been very dull and dreary and downright disruptive in the places affected by all the rain. I suspect much of the angst in the model thread is because the weather has been so tediously similar for the last couple of months and boredom is setting in where nothing seems to be changing.

But at the end of the day you can't change what the weather does by comparing model outputs and cherry picking charts way beyond the reliable timeframe. Even with all the complicated algorithms and computing power meteorologists have access to we have to accept that we are still pretty rubbish at predicting future weather! Anything beyond 2-3 days and we're still playing a game of probabilities where small changes can significantly alter what happens later down the line and its no-one's fault, it's just the chaotic nature of the atmosphere.

Personally I'm sad that the models seem in agreement that the mild weather will be leaving us for a while but I won't complain as it is the winter! Hoping for some clear days as suffering from a lack of sunlight at the moment. On the other hand hoping any snow is fleeting and South Manchester's rain shadow will work for the snow as well as while pretty and nice for a day it is completely annoying and a nuisance in this country where we really aren't prepared for it.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

This could be better than 1947

Ridiculous.  None of the respected posters are comparing these charts to 1947.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Greenland1080 said:

Hold on il just check the title of this thread.

It isn't the "Cold rampers" thread, you know.

Posted
29 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Guys,can we calm things down a bit.

Please think of other's at this time. I can hear Knocker crying from here and i'm 10 miles away.

It's  true I am. It's at the thought of my heating bills being a poor pensioner

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

can't see knocker knocking around tonight? I ignore him anyway, but says, 'last post by knocker'

He's actually one of the most knowledgeable members here on Netweather; he can be a bit of a contrarian, but he's a valuable antidote to the more OTT people on the forum.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

He's actually one of the most knowledgeable members here on Netweather; he can be a bit of a contrarian, but he's a valuable antidote to the more OTT people on the forum.

Moi...a contrarian. Shame on you Chris

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

So the big question is, can the models with all the background signals and all the agreements suddenly drop this huge swing to cold? 

Absolutly great to see such cold charts but with all the sudden downgrades over the last few years I'm just worried this could all go bang still. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

can't see knocker knocking around tonight? I ignore him anyway, but says, 'last post by knocker'

Away helping a squirrel hid his nuts? Anyhoo, I don't know why some peeps seem to dislike knocks; he's one of our most reliable posters...

But, that aside, it's not often we see charts so reminiscent of December 2009 and November 2010...Two cold spells that did come-off?

So - ramp away!!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
1 minute ago, knocker said:

It's  true I am. It's at the thought of my heating bills being a poor pensioner

Ahhhhh. You can always come round here to get warm,still got some mince pies left over.

You'd have to swap benches,however. Only cold ramper's in this house.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Well well, the weather looks like making a fool of those who were foolish in writing off the rest of winter & saying they'd be no cold!

Some people will never learn, it doesn't matter how bad the models may be looking, a turn around can happen at anytime. 

• Like 3