Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

Hi all I no I should not post this here but the bbc weather just said it will turn colder next week then went on to say There will be some snow but won't last long..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

It is unusual outside of the Highlands 

only very cold air/ complemented by slack flow little to no wind, clear skies, to more widespread parts of the country, can give those sort of temperatures. Snow cover also helps.

It can't be that unusual; I think Norwich recorded -14C in December 2012?

• Like 1

Posted

Jay Wynne BBC weather has said cold air will flood across UK next week.

He also said, it will be cold enough for a little bit of snow, but hopefully it won't last too long!

He didn't seem very excited about the upcoming cold snap, is he a mild lover?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It can't be that unusual; I think Norwich recorded -14C in December 2012?

I do not believe it got below -10C in London although close during 2010 just goes to show how hard it is. December 2012 had that failed beasterly? 12/13 winter arrived in the February.

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
typos galore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

He also said, it will be cold enough for a little bit of snow, but hopefully it won't last too long!

maybe he meant not long as in, it should warm up by May. Jay like's May maybe......:ninja:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
4 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

I suppose he's mainly talking to OAPs at that time of day and doesn't want to worry them. 

Generally the over 70s hate the snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

I do not believe it got below -10C in London although close during 2010 just goes to show how hard it is. December 2012 has that failed beasterly? 12/13 winter arrived in the February.

But that's due to the Urban Heat Island Effect. And I do know that MK saw -22C in January 1982...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

the next 48 hours may tell us a lot about GLOSEA-5's ability to change tack in the face of a marked pattern change. we have previously seen MOGREPS-15 being slow to the party.

of course, the extended eps may be clustering towards a weakening of the cold signal and that could be giving Exeter the confidence to state it wont be long lasting.

BBC forecast I saw ten mins ago said "there may even be a bit of snow about" no mention of short lived......

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Climate Man said:

BBC forecast I saw ten mins ago said "there may even be a bit of snow about" no mention of short lived......

Jay Wynne did say "hopefully it won't last long"!

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But that's due to the Urban Heat Island Effect. And I do know that MK saw -22C in January 1982...:D

The outskirts of London did forgive me certainly not for Central London. My freezer is currently sitting in that region, it's as far as what I'm going to get, such cold is inconceivable imby unless the Gulf Stream cuts off, a hydrogen bomb being dropped, on the capital that'll flatten it all out, and solve the problem of UHI. RIP me. :D

Edited by Earnest Easterly*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
13 minutes ago, abbie123456 said:

Hi all I no I should not post this here but the bbc weather just said it will turn colder next week then went on to say There will be some snow but won't last long..

That isn't really model output discussion..,

but no, Jay Wynne (sp?) said 'hopefully it won't last long'... That is quite different to 'we think it won't last long'.

They will change their forecasts according to the models. If the models continue to upgrade, then their presentations will also.

i'd place faith in some very knowledgable members on here who called this a while back.

How long it lasts is unknown, so is who gets snow... But the BBC will always be more cautious to avoid creating alarm....

Anyway.... I avidly await the 12z!:)

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I suppose he's mainly talking to OAPs at that time of day and doesn't want to worry them. 

Generally the over 70s hate the snow.

Eh, senior citizens if you don't mind.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Jay said it with a wry smile. He's a keen skier after all

if it snows it snows. Anything can happen between now and next week. Too many times I've seen the hype on here over the last ten years and too many times it's gone wrong. I shall be getting excited from Monday. 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Stupid thing for him to say - I suspect those that have been flooded out recently will be glad of a pattern change!  Seriously if the cold breaks early, it will likely be back to very wet conditions due to the activeness of the Atlantic systems during el nino episodes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
10 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

'hopefully'?  what a spoilsport he is.  I mean whats a few days of snow after the awful December mild mush we've been subjected to.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves
5 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

That isn't really model output discussion..,

but no, Jay Wynne (sp?) said 'hopefully it won't last long'... That is quite different to 'we think it won't last long'.

They will change their forecasts according to the models. If the models continue to upgrade, then their presentations will also.

i'd place faith in some very knowledgable members on here who called this a while back.

How long it lasts is unknown, so is who gets snow... But the BBC will always be more cautious to avoid creating alarm....

Anyway.... I avidly await the 12z!:)

Ok thank you ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
5 minutes ago, joggs said:

Maybe I fergieweather could she's some light on tge glosea)))) 

She? :rofl:

Oh I know what you mean now, "Maybe Fergieweather could SHED some light on the Glosea"

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
54 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Can anyone help me, we seem to be a man down in the Mod Thread..... Calling CrewCold, hello hello wherever you are MIA since predictions of absolutely no chance of heights linking with Greenland. I'm sure Crew is going to be back in the Mod thread tonight and admitting he was perhaps a little to hasty in his dismissal........ TBC

thats a bit premature, the possible linking with the greenland high is a week away, and it could well be gone on the next run. CrewCold might yet be proven to be correct.

25 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

sorry sir thats daft. hes a professional tv presenter, its not really his job to get excited about a bit of cold, and maybe the data he has access to still doesnt expect this cold snap to be as harsh as one amplified gfs run suggests it might be!

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Well I've just seen some Met Office Tweets saying about cold weather expected next week, but not expected to last past the end of the week..... I'm more inclined to look at what the models show us to be honest, as it will soon be clear i think. But at the same time you won't see the met office going gung ho on cold, because they have a responsibility to the public and won't want to scaremonger, or be wrong 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snow freak said:

'hopefully'?  what a spoilsport he is.  I mean whats a few days of snow after the awful December mild mush we've been subjected to.

How dare he influence the weather! Hope you've complained to your local MP

Posted
1 minute ago, mushymanrob said:

thats a bit premature, the possible linking with the greenland high is a week away, and it could well be gone on the next run. CrewCold might yet be proven to be correct.

sorry sir thats daft. hes a professional tv presenter, its not really his job to get excited about a bit of cold, and maybe the data he has access to still doesnt expect this cold snap to be as harsh as one amplified gfs run suggests it might be!

Yes he could well be, but he certainly did state that a turnaround is not going to happen.........and it did. I on the other hand am not yet convinced either way, so won't be guessing.

Posted
5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Excuse me, but I'm not daft, nor is Jay Wynne.

Quite a few of the professional TV Weather Presenters do get very exited about cold & snow!

• Like 1