Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Wouldn't blame the BBC presenters getting alittle excited when looking at the UKMO 144h

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2702/UW144-21_idq8.GIF

Does anyone know why UKMO stopped giving out the 850hpa data at 144h or even 72h,96h and 120h for that matter :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I think they'll go quiet in the next few days. Just waiting for the ECM to come out and see if that wants to play ball. GFS doesn't show anything potent the cold uppers not playing ball. T144 well out of the reliable time frame anyway so not getting drawn in.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Wouldn't blame the BBC presenters getting alittle excited when looking at the UKMO 144h

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2702/UW144-21_idq8.GIF

Does anyone know why UKMO stopped giving out the 850hpa data at 144h or even 72h,96h and 120h for that matter :cc_confused:

Because we're peasants? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A two day toppler a week0 away. Still will be nice too see some some sun at last. UKMO best solution but not backed by either GFS or ECM. Could well disappear in the next run or two as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Winter may be coming but this agapanthus doesn't know.

Took this pic today in a garden i work in. Flower spike in January!!!!

Summer 2016 has come early in cornwall:)

IMG_0107.jpg

cropped.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Still not seeing anything other than cooler temperatures for lowland England.

10 minutes ago, The PIT said:

A two day toppler a week0 away. Still will be nice too see some some sun at last. UKMO best solution but not backed by either GFS or ECM. Could well disappear in the next run or two as well.

I'm very confident it won't do anything for lowland England.  As with the non-existant easterly, the models go OTT, then backtrack to the "even larger teapot" norm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

I can't help think that the next weeks cold snap/spell will be a lot better than the models are showing atm, if they are talking about the cold snap on todays lunch time weather for the following week they don't normally do that

Posted

Something quite sad and fatalistic about folks getting excited about a possible 2 day cold snap where realistically about 5% of the country *may* see snow falling

is this what 'winter' has come to ?

Posted
4 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Something quite sad and fatalistic about folks getting excited about a possible 2 day cold snap where realistically about 5% of the country *may* see snow falling

Some haven't seen snow since March 2013 so anything will do.

Posted
30 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

No way of knowing that at this range. I know there are some WUM's on NW and you are most certainly not one of them joe, but i think you might be being a tad pessimistic :)

Posted

reading  the  model tread   lot of wrist cutting could  happen all because  the cold snap might  not happen!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
4 hours ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

Yes, exactly. This is why we need seasonal weather, and not just for spring aesthetics. Many species have evolved to require certain conditions that may be inconvenient or unpleasant to us, and entire ecosystems can be thrown off balance. As much as I appreciate saving a few quid on heating bills I'd much rather global flora and fauna populations be stable and not at risk :)

Going to philosophise a bit so I'll put this in this forum. Yes, it's a practical issue but it's also about how, as a country we have defined ourself. Look at the literature, art and even music and so much of it is inextricably bound up with the change of seasons. To have them blend into one other quite literally stops us from being who we have been, those roots have gone.  This is another effect of a changing climate, if it continues to change our year in these ways.

One other thing, somewhat unrelated, if there's one country that has more than its share of people who don't see the challenges of slowing down or even reversing this change they are in the US, if they continue to get cold winters then it's not going to change their outlook, only confirming that the earth is not really getting warmer. For the sake of the planet can the weather gods (pagan ones maybe) please send the cold somewhere else? Here would be nice but most definitely not there!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 minutes ago, tinybill said:

reading  the  model tread   lot of wrist cutting could  happen all because  the cold snap might  not happen!!!

I have given up looking on there today.  People are not allowed there own opinion and when I look to see what they are saying I come of even more confused than before. It's a bit more friendly on the moans and banter page and I love the snow lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I've done my bit; I've shaved my head. Whenever I shave my head, snow surely follows!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

To get snow here, I will have to go away, that will make it snow in Stafford

and If I move countries, winter will suddenly exist again, then what christmas pudding

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I've done my bit; I've shaved my head. Whenever I shave my head, snow surely follows!:drunk-emoji:

Well that's different, some of us don't have a choice....Hang on I'll pluck my last strand...ouch!!! see Ive done my bit.....NEXT!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

To get snow here, I will have to go away, that will make it snow in Stafford

and If I move countries, winter will suddenly exist again, then what christmas pudding

Airline tickets1.jpgGo for it !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

been looking at the model thread and how some people can get so into that is beyond me.  the models seem to hype something up only for it to be dashed and then they say maybe the next bite of the cherry will get us to the cold, rinse and repeat.  why bother?  the multi million pound models seem to better at determining a forecast than me sticking my head out of the window and saying its going to be cold.  i hate the weather in this country with a vengeance and just wish i had been born in a country which at least has kind of seasonal reliable weather or even fairly frequent winter and summer weather rather than the once a decade or two exceptions we get on this island.  Rant over.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Airline tickets1.jpgGo for it !

The winters in this country are getting milder, less interesting and wetter. The summers are getting cooler and cooler, with next to no heatwaves or even days over 22'c.

I'm either praying for an ice age or global warming, but I just wish something interesting would happen here!!! ><

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Typical Spurs supporter shaved head:D

My wife used the No.1 on me last nite; not that i've got much hair these days.

And i'm a Spurs follower.

Anyway model runs still show colder to come. If one has faith in GP and Tamara the real cold action will be last third of Jan and into early Feb, so maybe next week is just a 'taster'.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

We only had 2 thunderstorms in 2 years here too!!!

Everything that made me love the weather seems to be gone :-(

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/01/2016 at 5:32 PM, knocker said:

Rather depends on what you mean by extreme E & SE and warm

Map is pretty incredible. All the "1s" are locations setting a record warm December. Many others top 3.

And this as incorrect

The majority of the USA has not although you are right concerning areas of the south.

CXoYAkeWYAAQQtA.jpg:large

not sure the fact the eastern US having unseasonably mild temperatures is having an effect on our weather too.  last year they had record snow and cold in the eastern seaboard and we still had a mild winter.  i was hoping that the mild winter in the US might have meant we would have a colder winter here but obviously it doesnt work that way either.  it seems that on this island on the edge of the atlantic just gets the dross of the weather whichever way you look at it.

Posted
2 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

We only had 2 thunderstorms in 2 years here too!!!

Everything that made me love the weather seems to be gone :-(

i agree.  hardly any thunderstorms in our area last summer either and no real heat either considering it was supposedly one of the warmest summers on record.  all the excitement seems to have gone from the british weather unless you like lots of wind and rain that is.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Greenland1080 said:

With you on this one Bristol....bit severe a number one though?

You should see my head - one of the girls i used to work with reckoned i had a used tennis ball as a head! As of today that is being kind!!

• Like 1