Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nether where anything like what you would call cold in my neck of the woods

Looking at the stats from the metoffice the region you live in record a mean temperature of 1C in January 2010 which is cold (Average is 3.8C).  That said Jan 2013 was only 3.1C which was mostly due to the very mild start to the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
11 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looking at the stats from the metoffice the region you live in record a mean temperature of 1C in January 2010 which is cold (Average is 3.8C).  That said Jan 2013 was only 3.1C which was mostly due to the very mild start to the month.

I thought the rolling average for Jan is 4.6c not 3.8c?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I thought the rolling average for Jan is 4.6c not 3.8c?

The 61-90 average is 3.8C, the 1981-2010 average is 4.4C, well going by the stats posted by RJS in the January CET thread.

I guess the 81-10 average is probably the better standard these days though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
17 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looking at the stats from the metoffice the region you live in record a mean temperature of 1C in January 2010 which is cold (Average is 3.8C).  That said Jan 2013 was only 3.1C which was mostly due to the very mild start to the month.

Was probably that cold previous month that made January  seem like a mild month!!

Posted
5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

bib... disagree with that.

id sooner have 1 page of reasoned, informed, unbiased and more accurate posts then pages of ramping nonsense.

but then again, im here for weather, not cold only.

Yes, but you have a separate thread for the 'high brow' educated model discussion. Us mere mortals can't keep up with all the technical stuff, and shouldn't be excluded or be made to feel stupid for getting excited about our passion for weather (which we all have, not just for cold).

I'm here for weather too, but mainly cold at this time of the year like 90% of the rest of us :D

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

I'm one for ramping!!!  and why not after the weather patten we've had to endure so far this winter....So just for you cyclonic happiness :D

Capture.thumb.PNG.dedd14ad246b76ad1aadca

If we get this much snow, I will build a bigger castle, just for this forum alone to ogle :-D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
51 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

If we get this much snow, I will build a bigger castle, just for this forum alone to ogle :-D

And me :) but fearful you might be accused of being "unreasonable, uninforming, inaccurate, and ramping utter-nonsense :laugh:

EDIT' Agreed most on here have a passion for cold weather, OK most of the time we get the knock back regarding the models and our hunt for the cold and so be it.

The only thing that is 'utter-nonsense' is when peeps stop the fact that this is a fourm and so be it.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted

Good to see some interest in the model watching.

We're lucky that we've got 2 winters in the very recent memory that can remind us that it can go either way. Both on the backs of wet and stormy Decembers.

2012/13 is a good reminder that with patience, things can swing in our favour...and 2013/14 is a reminder that sometimes it doesn't.

For me personally, it helps me to keep level headed when we've had a December like the one we've had. I approached January 2014 thinking that it would be alright and it would just repeat 2013. But the wait went on and on and on until the hope faded with Spring. Was good for my own learning though.

So who knows which way it will go this year? Can't wait to find out! Still early in the season! We've still got 3 (maybe 4 at a push) months of cold and snow potential left. That's a quarter of the year!

(..and I don't go in for the idea that cold spells are rubbish in March/April. 2008 and 2013 are 2 years that spring to mind straight away. And I've seen very decent snow events in March/April in Columbus Ohio, the same latitude as Barcelona!)

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A frustrating time waiting for cold to arrive for snow lovers in Southern England. Approaching deep mid winter now and very little sign of snow for you, according to the UKMO. I just find it hard to believe some places in the south have hardly registered a snowflake or even at worse an air frost for near on 36 months . That's just crazy. Wretchedly unhappy weather set up.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

1 ground frost here in 42 days...says it all. At least it's looking like we might get an air frost in the next 8-10 days going by the models...that says it all about this winter. 'where's the In search of the big air frost thread when you need it'? :)

Posted
8 minutes ago, carinthian said:

A frustrating time waiting for cold to arrive for snow lovers in Southern England. Approaching deep mid winter now and very little sign of snow for you, according to the UKMO. I just find it hard to believe some places in the south have hardly registered a snowflake or even at worse an air frost for near on 36 months . That's just crazy. Wretchedly unhappy weather set up.

C

pretty much!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

pretty much!

Its just not fair for Sussex, my daughter who lives in Sweden, left Gatwick this afternoon in pouring rain and temp of 10C and just 3 hours later arrived home near Uppsala to snow and -10C.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Well, at least when it comes, it'll be amazing and we'll appreciate it more. I can't imagine how boring it must be to have 5 months of snow like Canada every year. everything in black and white, and unchanging. I imagine even 20 foot snowdrifts lose their appeal before long. And anything below minus 20 is just 'more cold'.

• Like 1

Posted

If you like cricket then it may be of some interest, that a certain woodshed has been obliterated by two Yorkers, and a devil of a bouncer.:D

Live match over on the MOD thread.

Edited by DAVID SNOW
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Poor 00 oz run from GFS pretty much same theme suppressed temps by day mild by night so feeling cool in the day and plenty of rain about. Scotland the place to be for the white stuff though.

Very encouraged by the model outputs across the last 48hrs or so, but quite frankly I don't give a monkeys chuff if it snows or not next week, all I want to see is drier, colder conditions finally becoming established across all parts of the country - the hunt for wintry weather can start in earnest once we have drier up/out. I think unless you have been underneath these recent deluges or have suffered in the past, it's really hard to comprehend just how miserable and soul destroying things can feel. So it's all about priorities for me and the good news is there is still c.9 weeks of winter left, we aren't even half way through yet.:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I normally come on here and read all the posts and only make a few comments but nice to see there are changes happening. Nobody knows what will happen even the experts few weeks ago a lot of people were saying its being pushed back the cold now and wont happen till Feb.

Now this cold spell will only last 3 or 4 days nobody really knows do they. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes looking far more seasonal next week! EC has widespread frosts by night and temperatures struggling a few degrees above freezing at best by day. But best of all it offers sunshine and dry weather, beats mild dross any day of the week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

MOD thread hilarious - once again ludicrous ramping yesterday evening has proven inaccurate.:D

• Like 3

Posted

So a brief northerly which will do diddly squat down here and then a coolish dry period. Does nothing for me but great news for those affected by flooding