Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

It seems to me that some folk in these forums can and often do make arguments out of absolutely nothing, but this latest offering about who had the worst flooding and who took longest to return to their homes pretty much takes the biscuit. OK it's been exceptionally mild and at least for now there is no imminent or guaranteed change to cold in sight, but surely to goodness we can find better things to discuss than who has experienced the most misery....can't we?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Rather than argue about whose floods are worse (or blaming this or that person or government department) wouldn't we be better off all getting behind those affected? :cc_confused:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

It seems to me that some folk in these forums can and often do make arguments out of absolutely nothing, but this latest offering about who had the worst flooding and who took longest to return to their homes pretty much takes the biscuit. OK it's been exceptionally mild and at least for now there is no imminent or guaranteed change to cold in sight, but surely to goodness we can find better things to discuss than who has experienced the most misery....can't we?

Totally agree,its the current situation that is important,not some silly discussion as to whom had the worst experience in years gone past.So pointless

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Rather than argue about whose floods are worse (or blaming this or that person or government department) wouldn't we be better off all getting behind those affected? :cc_confused:

Quite right Ed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sadly looking at the current trend it looks like flooding will be a topic that is going to go on for a while yet. Plus more areas are likely to join in as the ground isn't getting a chance to dry out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Plenty of Winter left yet :)

true, but imho the signals are not good for something cold, not now the current potential with northern blocking appears to be failing.

of course anything can happen, but  a wild swing from something very mild to something very cold is pretty rare - most cold winters ive seen dont happen after an extremely mild start.

2 hours ago, Paul White. said:

I wish there was a thread for cold model output discussion. In the MOD thread it drives me insane reading people's posts about mild mild mild. Where is the skill in predicting mild for the uk? In the new cold model output discussion nobody is allowed to use the M word and certainly not the B word just post charts of cold be FI or reliable. And here is the best bit if cold is not on the horizen the thread should be empty, then we don't need to waste time wading through the endless posts about mild.

just a thought.

yeah, this is a weather forum, not a cold weather watchers forum. i too have championed having a thread for cold weather watching, id like that because we could get all the seasonal  nonsense out the way and us real weather enthusiasts could have an unbiased, discussion about what is really happening.

i see no point at all in trying to talk up any prefered weather type if its not on offer.

as for "wheres the skill in predicting mild for the uk"? has to be one of the most offensive (to the knowlegable and pro forecasters) let alone stupid comments ive ever read on here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

true, but imho the signals are not good for something cold, not now the current potential with northern blocking appears to be failing.

of course anything can happen, but  a wild swing from something very mild to something very cold is pretty rare - most cold winters ive seen dont happen after an extremely mild start.

yeah, this is a weather forum, not a cold weather watchers forum. i too have championed having a thread for cold weather watching, id like that because we could get all the seasonal  nonsense out the way and us real weather enthusiasts could have an unbiased, discussion about what is really happening.

i see no point at all in trying to talk up any prefered weather type if its not on offer.

as for "wheres the skill in predicting mild for the uk"? has to be one of the most offensive (to the knowlegable and pro forecasters) let alone stupid comments ive ever read on here.

i asked the sane thing last year for a cold weather model discussions ...fortunately this year its been so mild the MOD thread has been quietly civilised and nicely balanced...much like it is during the summer..only when any cold appears on the horizon do the lunatics take over the asylum 

• Like 1

Posted

And, with no ramping whatsoever, a new article on the possible ramifications of the current Super Nino: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35197887

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, coldcomfort said:

Who's arguing? Not me.

It's a weather forum, we were discussing the impacts of weather, what's up with that? Personally I'm not that interested in the search for snow, it's pretty if it happens, not that bothered if it doesn't. There's page after page after page devoted to the search for cold weather and snow, surely in all that conversation there's room for a couple of posts discussing something else? If it doesn't interest you, you can just skim over it.  This is after all the grumbling/moaning thread, or are folk only allowed to grumble and moan if it's not cold with an imminent snow mageddon arriving soon?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Deadlines have passed for 2010 and 1963, so now we are on to 1947. When that passes it's all aboard March 2013. :D

I never had much hope of December producing much given the monster El Nino and the lack of anything significant on the Glosea et al. Certainly the pattern's changing though, and it does appear that there could be some HLB in the offing in January. Whether it will produce anything other than the square root of eff all for us is a different matter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

you forgot 1979 deadline lol

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

This winter is shaping up to be a repeat of winter 2013/14.

This is far far worse which is unreal given how horrific 13/14 was. December 2013 was drier than average here. This month has been wetter than average. I managed to record 17 air frosts in winter 13/14 plus seven in the preceding November. I have had a grand total of one this month and one last month. Numerous days with temperatures in the 10-13C range. Totally dire and tedious - temperatures you can get at any time of the year. 

Have lost count of the sleepless nights due to the wind rattling away incessantly and today is the second day in less than a week in which it hasn't stopped raining all day. Utterly revolting and can't see January being any better. Just an unmitigated horror show :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Ive lost count of the amount of times I have have to have the fan on in DECEMBER, wheras only twice has the heating gone on, oh and I cant open the window because insects are still everywhere and It would end up like July with them flying around the lights.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just bought the Mrs some. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Plenty of Winter left yet :)

I'm ever more convinced that the pattern we have now is the one we will hang-on to until April.

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm ever more convinced that the pattern we have now is the one we will hang-on to until April.

I well remember saying exactly that, in January 1975...Some of the snowfalls, come March, April, May and June were quite memorable.:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Look's like i'm entering my third month of ground-hog weather(wet,windy,mild)

temps might drop of a bit(10-11c instead of 13-14) I say,lucky me.

Can't for the life of me understand what all the exitment is about,all i see is rain,rain and more rain.

Good luck to those of you in the shetlands,you might get lucky.

To many people chasing pot's of gold,i think.Need to take a truth pill and start building your Ark.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

But you no that this is a completely false way of looking at things and it's just another way to throw a toy out of a pram. So if we apply your annalogy then I could say if we can get our winds sourced from Spain then we will have a temp of 4c ? Or an easterly wind will get us well below freezing ? The temp is unusual in the sense the southerly sourced air gets so far north but it's not the fact that's 'somethings very very wrong' , it's just an unusual set up , but very plausible given the set up . Once we loose the euro high and low pressure goes south then we loose the warm temps so far north .  Also it's very normal for warm air to move north on the western side of the high with cold air flooding south on the opposite side , it's basic physics.

It's nowhere near 'normal' to have that much warm (not just mild, actually 'warm') moving up so far north at this time of the year.  I mean, they barely get those temperatures in summer let alone mid-winter.

So, ofc it's going to bugger up the models and the hemispheric patterns. We are in uncharted water at this moment in time, nothing is off limits 

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

That's a ridiculous comment because just look at the chart! Comment would make sense if nowhere was below freezing but look at the chart!

I'm looking at the huge thousand mile long and 800 mile wide record anomoly in the Arctic, you know, the unprecedented one? The one that has thrown all the models in a chaotic mess over the next few days?

That America and Asia are bitterly cold goes without saying, but to have the high Arctic at almost 9'c in the middle of winter is nothing short of amazing. They don't even get those temps very often in mid-summer let alone almost January. :D

Posted
7 hours ago, snow freak said:

This winter is really starting to annoy me now.  the thought of yet another mild soggy winter fills me with despair.  Yes I know there are those who keep saying it is only the beginning of winter but after 2 months of this dismal depressing atlantic weather and with no end in sight, it hardly fills you with hope.  I am sure that true to UK weather form we shall have the 'winter' weather come the spring....when we don't want it and it is no good to anyone.  Very fed up at the moment to say the least.

It 'might' be ok , were we to get summer as well, but that has been awol for as long as winter has.

• Like 1

Posted

This is really unfortunate. You guys will get colder rain, we will get colder drought and then straight back on SW express. We are still stuck in this horrible pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
3 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Deadlines have passed for 2010 and 1963, so now we are on to 1947. When that passes it's all aboard March 2013. :D

I never had much hope of December producing much given the monster El Nino and the lack of anything significant on the Glosea et al. Certainly the pattern's changing though, and it does appear that there could be some HLB in the offing in January. Whether it will produce anything other than the square root of eff all for us is a different matter.

There is also 1987 to call upon. It did not look very inspiring on this day in 1986,  but as we know, an epic cold spell followed. I would admit that when I moved to North Norfolk this year I was hankering after something similar. I have looked at the charts and still find the report of snow falling at Coltishall at -9c with a moderate easterly breeze mind blowing. I also believe that I saw snow crystals against the low sun on the 12th January. I have never seen mention of this elsewhere, so could have been mistaken. Anyway chart for December 30th.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Bad day for snow lovers on the model output. It really is going to be the second half of January before we can possibly tap into the colder air. 

Yeah i wouldnt be at all suprised to see the METO mrf backtracking tomorrow.

Running out of words to describe 'winter' 2015/16.:wallbash:

• Like 2