Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

For the southern half of the UK it looks to me like mild rain will just be replaced by cooler rain. This is supported by the 12z London ensembles with the mean never going below average except for a blip on the 1st Jan. Further north the wintry potential is greater but it cant be denied that the cold uppers are having a hard time reaching our shores battling against the Atlantic onslaught. This is by no means set in stone however. I really hope we get a settled spell soon!

Posted

Sleet/snow for parts of Grampian and the Highlands New years eve/day. Forecast, as it stand, for the start of next week is for wet and windy weather for the same areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ECM1-240.GIF?29-0

deepest FI, at least sees shot of the Russian high, good riddance too! doing no good, making rainbands stall potentially, at least deep FI shows standard setup, maybe even bright spells between fronts, just hope for as little rain as possible between now and 7-8 Jan, IF Russian high buggers off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Indeed, NE Scotland might do ok for a bit of the white stuff, surprise!

As for the rest of us, we go from warm rain to cold rain, and lots more of it too. grrr:angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
24 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

An Easterly is just not going to happen any time in the next couple of weeks. End of.  Any cold is going to come from the North and West.

Yes our best chance for something wintry will come from the ever popular toppler! 

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

How appropriate. Just turned on Chanel 5 and am watching "HELP Snowtrapped" 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

This cold chasing in the MOD thread will continue until the end of March, then everyone will look outside and realize it's 21c and spring.:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Looks like the rubbish winter 2015/16 is to continue into January. Meto going for stronger heights towards Europe (again) after next weeks 'blip'. If you look at the latest ecm's at 240 you can yet again see height rises to the south over Europe and westwards.

When will this rubbish end?

Posted
9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

This cold chasing in the MOD thread will continue until the end of March, then everyone will look outside and realize it's 21c and spring.:drunk-emoji:

I wish! so do most on here I would imagine

Posted

Well, this cold spell is pretty much an emergency brake for us but nothing to write home about so far. Average/slightly below average temps at best and still dry as hell. ECM is not good at all. Right back where we started from. Let's hope for better outputs tommorow. 

Posted

Really has been horrendous the past 2 years here in the Midlands. Last winter I only got 3 air frosts, and this winter so far zero.

It's really going to be a pee take if the only snow we see this 'winter' was in autumn.

I really do stick by my statement that 'climate change has just robbed our weather of variety' It's just one long boring autumn from one end of the year to the next.   :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

The worst thing is though that, even in the mildest winters, we always got one or two days of snow and frosts, but now it's just nothingness. We don't even get much rain or wind.

Also we don't get heavy showers like we used to in spring, you know, the ones you can see coming for miles in lovely clear air. With black bottoms and huge convective billowing cumulonimbus clouds.

Something really has gone seriously wrong with the weather :-(

Posted
Just now, cyclonic happiness said:

The worst thing is though that, even in the mildest winters, we always got one or two days of snow and frosts, but now it's just nothingness. We don't even get much rain or wind.

Also we don't get heavy showers like we used to in spring, you know, the ones you can see coming for miles in lovely clear air. With black bottoms and huge convective billowing cumulonimbus clouds.

Something really has gone seriously wrong with the weather :-(

gfs-2015112100-1-6.png

could be the best it gets this season, saw a bit of snow, few hours before time of this chart, seen 1 frost early on 23rd, but from 24th Nov, nothing

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

gfs-2015112100-1-6.png

could be the best it gets this season, saw a bit of snow, few hours before time of this chart, seen 1 frost early on 23rd, but from 24th Nov, nothing

Yep and the warm sector meant that just 20 miles from here it was rain. Luckily we have a bit of hieght here at 400ft , that really helped.

I can't have really come to this...can it?

We don't even get northerly topplers like we did in the last decade either. They were all the rage on netweather for quite a few years.

Posted
4 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Yep and the warm sector meant that just 20 miles from here it was rain. Luckily we have a bit of hieght here at 400ft , that really helped.

I can't have really come to this...can it?

We don't even get northerly topplers like we did in the last decade either. They were all the rage on netweather for quite a few years.

Not just cold spells though that have become fewer, it's high pressure as well, mild, average or cold, very unlikely now we'll see HP in charge between Nov and Mar, even a ridge, since the christmas pudding began in 2000, when the floods really started in late 0ct

I'm sure back then people were describing the floods as a 1 in hundred year event! how wrong they were

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

With at least another week of deluges likely to affect already flooded areas (100mm+ on the latest EC), you do have to wonder whether we're seeing the northern equivalent of 2013/14.

Posted

Seems to me that we have a repeat of January 14 shaping up for January 16.

Stormy and v wet. 

I wouldnt bet against it, despite some of the straw clutching that's been going on in the 'other' thread of late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Nick L said:

With at least another week of deluges likely to affect already flooded areas (100mm+ on the latest EC), you do have to wonder whether we're seeing the northern equivalent of 2013/14.

Yeah.. but much, much worse. Nothing like the flooding we've seen this year in Cumbria et al in 2013/2014.

Posted
22 hours ago, Weather-history said:

January 1937 would have coldies tearing their hair out. That was a very wet month, for two weeks a large high pressure sat up around NW Russia and into Scandi, low pressures unable to get under the block until near the end of January and then it was about a 48-72 wonder for the British Isles.

I think some would even take that as things stand! 

I enjoy weather extremes, but I just want some clear sunny days to be honest, as this kind of extreme I can live without!

Posted

gfs-0-126.png?0?0

Just wondering if GFS is right with this low, other models don't really develop it, I expect them to start modeling it, write off for 4th Jan, and why these washout systems never timed for the night

Posted

As someone pointed out on Two, how can we expect cold weather, when even the north pole is above freezing in the middle of the Arctic night, in mid-winter???

Something is very, very broken this year.  Are these temperatures unprecedented up there???

(2 metre temps shown)

gfsnh-9-6.png

Posted

Im starting to fear these kinds of winters are becoming the norm.

Watch those purples over Greenland vanish when we hit April, and watch the yellows and orange replace the purples.