Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

how???

Why don't you just ask in a polite manner...?

It's been mentioned many times in this thread how wildlife seems to be in spring mode already. When it finally does cool down it's not going to do it much good is it? Nature expects winter to be cold, not absurdly warm like it is now.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

"Devastating"?! Hmm......not sure that's how one would describe it.

ha yes , so devasting that some people have a little more money over christmas , instead of paying out  to british gas just to keep warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

"Devastating"?! Hmm......not sure that's how one would describe it.

Devastating:
"Causing severe shock, distress, or grief."
(Among other definitions)

Works for me.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, IanR said:

ha yes , so devasting that some people have a little more money over christmas , instead of paying out  to british gas just to keep warm

Wasn't aware wildlife paid gas bills, blimey! :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Actually the wild life will be loving this. More time to put the fat on for any cold spell so the impacts will be positive rather than negative.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It feels like a muggy summer morning out there. This is going to have a devastating impact on wildlife :(

I belive nature is more resiliant than we give credit, look at the ridiclously cold spring of 2013,  ok it killed many lambs, but nature just resumed as normal as soon as it warmed up ,  the daffs were just delayed rather than missing a flowering season 

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Just looked at the latest GFS and it's more of the same for that entire run. Ok, it's mild and wet which in my experience is the 'default' setting here in December. What is remarkable however, is the longevity of this spell of SW'ly weather. A bit like the constant, vile NW'ly flow for months earlier this year. Seems our climate appears to get 'stuck' into a pattern for months before changing to another, equally lengthy pattern. 

I like mostly mild temps in winter (with more seasonal snaps thrown in) but this constant wind, cloud and damp is really becoming depressing.

You're not the only one to notice that, it's been a recurring theme for the last few years with patterns becoming  entrenched for long periods. A lot to do with the meandering jet stream me thinks, I'll leave causation etc, etc for others to argue over.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Like 2

Posted

I can tolerate warmth, it's the rain and cloud and gloom that gets me.

Sunrise here at the edge of the Highlands is 08:45 and sunset 15:45 and the gloom during the day means that it feels like a 4 or 5 hour day.

We had average temperatures for the first half of the month but the last week or so it has been exceptionally mild but it has felt better because we've had less rain and the occasional bright spell. One day we even had blue sky for an afternoon and that's been pretty rare since October.

I enjoy snow and cold frosty mornings as much as most of the people here but if it is choice between cold and wet/windy and mild and brighter/drier I would definitely opt for the latter.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, IanR said:

I belive nature is more resiliant than we give credit, look at the ridiclously cold spring of 2013,  ok it killed many lambs, but nature just resumed as normal as soon as it warmed up ,  the daffs were just delayed rather than missing a flowering season 

A bit of a difference, the winter before that Spring of 2013 was not mild overall and what mild spells they were weren't on this level, so nature never really advance, it effectively kept in suspended animation during the cold of that March and early April.

This time it  has been exceptionally mild more of less since the start of November and I would nature is much more advanced.

Winter 1989-90 was exceptionally mild and that severe frost at the start of April 1990 did some damage. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Just fed my Goldfish which I shouldn't need to do. Noticed another problem with the mild weather. Blanket weed is growing so that is going cause problems. Normally too cold for that and tends to be a problem in spring which effectively weather-wise it is.

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Just looked at the latest GFS and it's more of the same for that entire run. Ok, it's mild and wet which in my experience is the 'default' setting here in December. What is remarkable however, is the longevity of this spell of SW'ly weather. A bit like the constant, vile NW'ly flow for months earlier this year. Seems our climate appears to get 'stuck' into a pattern for months before changing to another, equally lengthy pattern. 

I like mostly mild temps in winter (with more seasonal snaps thrown in) but this constant wind, cloud and damp is really becoming depressing.

Not really these sort of patterns ten to last for four to six weeks. So I'm not surprised at all.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A bit of a difference, the winter before that Spring of 2013 was not mild overall and what mild spells they were weren't on this level, so nature never really advance, it effectively kept in suspended animation during the cold of that March and early April.

This time it  has been exceptionally mild more of less since the start of November and I would nature is much more advanced.

Winter 1989-90 was exceptionally mild and that severe frost at the start of April 1990 did some damage. 

This followed the very mild winter of 1934-35, the one containing the record mild December.

May 1935

M1935b156.jpg

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

That it is so stupidly mild is one thing. Could almost be looked upon with a degree of baffled amusement. It is the utterly relentless damp gloom that has and continues to accompany it that is starting to drive people nuts. Too much of the same weather for a long period of time (yes I got fed up of the snow and bitter weather in March/April 2013 - and I'm a coldie) becomes utterly maddening to the point of being hateful. I shudder to think what people in Cumbria, South West Scotland and North West Wales make of the prospect of days more rain to come...as if they haven't suffered enough.

Can only hope that a change comes soon...doesn't necessarily have to be ice days and deep snow cover...a good sunny anticyclonic spell will do so much good for so many. What we don't want is a stormy westerly type that was such a scourge during the non winter of 2013/14. Swapping one weather type that has brought misery to so many for another is definitely not appealing in the slightest.

Posted

When was the last time we had a decent anticyclonic spell during winter? I'm really struggling to remember one. Last winter we didn't really get one, and the winter before that the less said about the better...

• Like 4

Posted

To be fair I'd rather there was some exceptionally mild days in it rather than just 10C all month. Though of course I'd much prefer some cold spells, more active weather and decent sunshine!

That is the thing that has got to me most in the last two months, the blandness and lack of sunshine.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

When was the last time we had a decent anticyclonic spell during winter? I'm really struggling to remember one. Last winter we didn't really get one, and the winter before that the less said about the better...

That's what is changing the most, lack of high pressure near the UK between Nov and Mar, and even in summer months nowadays maybe the trend is for more low pressure

I'm guessing we will have a vile below average April/May, slow start to summer, and maybe one of coolest Wimbledon's on record

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
4 hours ago, Snowmut said:

Yes things must be looking better,because the first post I usually see in the morning is one from Knocker that includes various shades of red and brown splattered all over us!!:santa-emoji:

Had an SOS from knockers woodshed, his  A/C has packed in:rofl:

crayons_no__1_by_pessimist-d4mvyaq.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

The early warmth will be fine for species who can have two shots at the whole reproduction thing, in case we get a late cold spell and then "real" Spring later. But if you are a species who can only reproduce once per year, and are tricked into doing so in December, you may be unable to repeat it in April etc and so your offspring may not survive that year. So it may be "devastating " to those species, and possibly the ones who depend on them as a food source as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

The days following Christmas day last year were very anticyclonic if I recall correctly. Clear blue skies, some fantastic frosts, and a lot of ice about. Definitely nothing during 2013-14. 2012-2013 had a frosty spell at the beginning of December, with a beautiful frost countrywide on I think the 12th. Before that, mid-January 2012 had a five day antocylonic spell. This is about as long as my memory of weather events goes back in detail, so I have nothing to compare these spells to before this. How frequent were such spells in past decades?

Edited by Relativistic Sting Jet

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I was down at local wildfowl centre and some geese were mating. 

Surely that's not normal for late December?

No of course not typically geese mate between February to early ish April. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

if there is to be a cold period this winter i hope its not from the east the lack of cold in eastern europe and russia  any cold pool would have to come from siberia 2000 miles away by the time that reached us the HP would be flattened  and would take at least a week to reach us a better bet would have to come from the north that would only take a day to reach us :wallbash: