Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

I only have one reason to check this forum these days. And that's to get comfort that I'm not alone in hating this kind of weather!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we have some sunshine please? 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Well, IDO has just written winter off in the MOD thread - the long-range anomalies are showing the current set-up lingering right through until spring, apparently.

Yeah my heart sunk when I read his post too. Although he did say that if there ever was a Winter when we need a SSW it's this one. Hopefully it's the case where those long rangers haven't taken that possibility into consideration and if we do get one this pattern will flip. The idea that this Winter is going to carry on like this all the way through though is surely improbable. Though maybe until mid January certainly seems possible, but even then seems like a long wait from now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

It was only a few days ago when the models couldnt even agree past a few days! The models have changed so many times I cannot begin to even harbour thoughts that they may be right out until spring.

• Like 1

Posted

A few weeks ago on here i asked a Q about the Euro High hanging around and scuppering a lot of Winter's chances for cold and snow. I was 'assured' it wouldnt hang around for long....

Hmmm........

This Winter will shape up to be like the early-mid 70s Winters (IMBY); we had 5 or 6 mild ones in a row with v little lying snow (IMBY).

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

A few weeks ago on here i asked a Q about the Euro High hanging around and scuppering a lot of Winter's chances for cold and snow. I was 'assured' it wouldnt hang around for long....

Hmmm........

This Winter will shape up to be like the early-mid 70s Winters (IMBY); we had 5 or 6 mild ones in a row with v little lying snow (IMBY).

But then was not 1976 winter a very good one. The snow seemed very deep in the north east of england, mind you, I was much shorter then :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
21 minutes ago, tempestwatch said:

But then was not 1976 winter a very good one. The snow seemed very deep in the north east of england, mind you, I was much shorter then :)

erm... no?... pretty average as i recall.

but i cant speak for the whole country, maybe the northeast did get more snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

erm... no?... pretty average as i recall.

but i cant speak for the whole country, maybe the northeast did get more snow.

Sorry it was 1978/79 :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Can we have some sunshine please? 

Nick you can have some of my. Day in, day out for the past 3 weeks. Want to see a cloud with snow or even rain falling from it !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
16 hours ago, Bradowl said:

Most of winters in late 70s and early 80s where we had lots of snow never got going until after Christmas, I think it was only 81 where we had severe cold in early December like 2010 and just like 2010 second half of winter was quite mild.

The severe winter of 1947 didn't get going until mid January. 

All is not lost yet, we could end up with a mild and snow free winter but my money is on us seeing lots of snow in January and early February. 

this gets rolled out every year and just isn't true...there was quite a lot of cold and snow around during December 1946 and early January 1947.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

this gets rolled out every year and just isn't true...there was quite a lot of cold and snow around during December 1946 and early January 1947.

I may be completely wrong but I thought the first half of January 1947 was exceptionally mild?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
48 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It was quite mixed, I believe. There was some cold weather during the first week before it turned quite wet and stormy in the middle third. Then around the 20th we went into the freezer. It has a CET of about 2.2°C (I think), so it was a pretty cold month.

December was cold as well CET of about 3c

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I haven't given up on winter yet just the first third. In central Scotland I have had no daytime lying snow.

Had two night snowfalls in November melted in hours. 4 frosts from November to now. 

It's been abject but heck we are now used to December being milder these days.

Let's imagine January as the start of winter and we will all feel better.

I really feel for the kids who never skate on the canals,sledge or make snow angels. It's what winter should be about.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, November13 said:

I haven't given up on winter yet just the first third. In central Scotland I have had no daytime lying snow.

Had two night snowfalls in November melted in hours. 4 frosts from November to now. 

It's been abject but heck we are now used to December being milder these days.

Let's imagine January as the start of winter and we will all feel better.

I really feel for the kids who never skate on the canals,sledge or make snow angels. It's what winter should be about.

I wouldn't advise doing that, unless daytime max temps have been way below freezing for days and days perhaps

• Like 1

Posted

37 hours of sunshine in the last 30 days and 14hrs in the last 18 days. What a complete contrast to December 2014 and January 2015 which recorded 91 hours each.

This has to be one of the most grim start to winters in living memory. There's not really been any benefit in the form of heating bills either as the lack of sunshine and constant wind blowing the heat out of our house (despite being well insulated) means we've used more gas than 12 months ago in a month that was 3C cooler!

Roll on a change, literally any change.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

I may be completely wrong but I thought the first half of January 1947 was exceptionally mild?

That's correct - temperatures in the teens a few days before the big freeze began!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=famous-winters;sess=

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Most have probably seen these reports but here they are again to refresh your memories:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/weather-phenomena/case-studies/severe-winters

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Most have probably seen these reports but here they are again to refresh your memories:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/weather-phenomena/case-studies/severe-winters

That's kind of you to remind me Blitzen  I've spent 53 years trying to erase 62/3 from my memory. Fortunately I was too young in 47 to be scarred for life.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

I have given my own day by day account of that for a place a few miles SE of Nottingham. Something I will never ever forget and never ever want it repeating while I am alive thanks very much!

1947 I was but a nipper and thought all the snow was well worth having no lights for about 20% of the time. Obviously no central heating, just a coal fire and no coal deliveries for about 6 weeks. So my father took the wooden sledge he had made for me and we collected wood from old pit shafts that had been sawn up. 5 miles each way, me on the sledge and in places walking over frozen snow drifts that had me able to touch the top of telegraph poles in one place.

them were the days.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, knocker said:

That's kind of you to remind me Blitzen  I've spent 53 years trying to erase 62/3 from my memory. Fortunately I was too young in 47 to be scarred for life.

Sorry Knocker!  

Can't remember much about the 62/63 one and I wasn't born in 1947.   Parents and in-laws had some stories to tell though!   I would have loved to have experienced the 1947 one but I suppose that is within the perspective of central heating, double glazing, loft insulation etc! :D   Can't have been easy!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like we could enter quite a disturbed pattern as we go into Christmas week, hoping there isn't too much in the way of disruptive weather for people travelling over the festive period to be with family & friends. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I met an old vintage skater in Norfolk during the summer who told me all about skating on the local streams from village to village in his youth, and about competitive racing on frozen fenland ditches. I remember going out on the meres in Norfolk and Suffolk when they were frozen in the 80s, and not really skating but slipping about. In Dundee I remember finding open air ice rink walls , one or two bricks high, all ready for the ice in the winter, but never got to skate there either. Now I am grown up and finally have pair of skates, it never seems to be the right weather to wear them. Fingers crossed for Port Meadow fun in 2016?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

will there be any butterfly effect on the weather when they launch the rocket on Tuesday, will it stir the cold weather in to action, any thoughts anyone.