Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Sick of this winter already!

Day 12 of 90+, it is going to seem a very long winter to you, even if it becomes colder as time moves on!

• Like 1

Posted

It does seem that the more knowledgeable don't  expect any real cold until some time in January anyway. This gives me hope at least. Even if we have to wait until February as long as it's a good cold spell all this mild muck would have been worth it in my opinion. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

At least I'm saving on the heating bill, not needed to put it on much at all since the month started, maybe an hour or so on some of the colder mornings, but this evening quite comfortable in t-shirt with no heating. The mildness doesn't really bother me unless we go into the New Year without as much as a night with a frost, the lack of sunshine is really beginning to grate though!

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

Has anyone else noticed, that since the floods in northern England happened, the beeb  weather presenters have stopped saying " At least it will be mild"?

Perhaps the penny has finally dropped, that in winter " At least it will be mild"  often equates to very wet and windy weather, and flooding..................

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
14 hours ago, carinthian said:

Its a good job we have this moan site to take out our frustration. Lived for quite a time in the Northwest and know what your constant rain and cloud is like, but reading reports from your regional site, you have had a crap 12 months, I mean no snow last winter, not much to speak of, a cool cloudy summer and incessant rain since. Ok, I am lucky where I live, hot summer , followed very warm Autumn and mild sunny start to winter. But I tell you, plonked under Euro high, day after day is like sitting under a water drip torture on the brain. The charts are boring and the worst start to a winter I have ever encountered. Enjoy your drip as well !

Agree wholeheartedly. 2015 has been a truly AWFUL year!! No snow, no thunderstorms, very dull and rain in frequent nuisance small amounts. Annoying gusty wind making cycling difficult. Always wet on Tuesdays when I have my only opportunity to have a ride in the countryside. Lack of sunshine making me very stroppy and not helped by working in retail with fellow people suffering with this nightmare seven weeks of vile muck. Vile unfriendly atmosphere everywhere - reminiscent of my first uni year in 1988/1989.

The mildness is useful and temperature stats could prove to be interesting this month - trying to find something positive! Cycling could be pleasurable if the drizzle could hold off and wind decrease if the high could move a little more north and push the warm sector muck further north. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

At least I'm saving on the heating bill, not needed to put it on much at all since the month started, maybe an hour or so on some of the colder mornings, but this evening quite comfortable in t-shirt with no heating. The mildness doesn't really bother me unless we go into the New Year without as much as a night with a frost, the lack of sunshine is really beginning to grate though!

Agree with you. The lack of sunshine is really starting to annoy me too but not as much as the constant howling wind. It seems to just have not let up throughout the entirety of 2015, vile!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you. The lack of sunshine is really starting to annoy me too but not as much as the constant howling wind. It seems to just have not let up throughout the entirety of 2015, vile!

The only few treasured times the sun has come out in the past week I have had to close the blinds as I was giving presentations with a whiteboard and people complained they couldn't see it with the sun streaming in :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

it comes to something when you have your central heating on - not to keep warm but to keep dry! everything so damp without it.

it looks highly unlikely now that there will be any pattern change this side of crimbo, and probably into the new year. i cant see the current synoptic pattern shifting anywhere fast - but of course this isnt set in stone.

Posted
On 12/11/2015 at 9:07 PM, cornish snow said:
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

it comes to something when you have your central heating on - not to keep warm but to keep dry! everything so damp without it.

it looks highly unlikely now that there will be any pattern change this side of crimbo, and probably into the new year. i cant see the current synoptic pattern shifting anywhere fast - but of course this isnt set in stone.

?morning   all all i say is quick  get to the bookies  this  morning   if the gfs is right  things on the big day  could be interesting on the  big  day

gfs-2-288.png

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

It comes to something when you have your central heating on - not to keep warm but to keep dry! everything so damp without it.

Yes Rob, had the Arger on low yesterday/last night to keep the damp at bay after nearly 19mm. Was a very wet 12 hours indeed. A nip in the air this morning though here with temps hovering around freezing.

Posted
On 12/11/2015 at 9:07 PM, cornish snow said:

looking  at the  gfs  deep into fantasy world  i hope its not right its pretty grim looking for all the flooded areas   dont look any let up to the consent wet weather

Edited by tinybill

Posted

11C here in Southampton and grey again. I've seen lower temps in June! 

Ridiculously mild for the week ahead too at times.

Remarkable really but the lack of sunshine is dismal.

Nov/Dec going to be record breaking surely for the extended warmth, one I hope won't be repeated for a fair few years.  Sadly, though I think that more and more unlikely.

I am missing the cold.

• Like 1

Posted

This year. What the **** is up with that high in south? It has been sitting there with short breaks whole year, making our summer unbearably warm and dry and now it's killing winter. I don't like winter that much but we are in desparate need of cold and wet weather. Our region will run out of water in June if this continues. I've been waiting for the pattern to change since summer 13. It's the same old story.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
40 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

This year. What the **** is up with that high in south? It has been sitting there with short breaks whole year, making our summer unbearably warm and dry and now it's killing winter. I don't like winter that much but we are in desparate need of cold and wet weather. Our region will run out of water in June if this continues. I've been waiting for the pattern to change since summer 13. It's the same old story.

Daz, its crazy. High sat right over us for months on end. No rain or snow. Wish they could send some of that from over in the UK.

C

Posted
9 hours ago, Severe Blizzard said:

Agree wholeheartedly. 2015 has been a truly AWFUL year!! No snow, no thunderstorms, very dull and rain in frequent nuisance small amounts. Annoying gusty wind making cycling difficult. Always wet on Tuesdays when I have my only opportunity to have a ride in the countryside. Lack of sunshine making me very stroppy and not helped by working in retail with fellow people suffering with this nightmare seven weeks of vile muck. Vile unfriendly atmosphere everywhere - reminiscent of my first uni year in 1988/1989.

The mildness is useful and temperature stats could prove to be interesting this month - trying to find something positive! Cycling could be pleasurable if the drizzle could hold off and wind decrease if the high could move a little more north and push the warm sector muck further north. 

Hell SB, you are affected worse than me. I wake up feeling depressed with sunshine, day after day but the drizzle , wind, mild and constant dullness would finish me off ! Glad I got out.

C

Posted

Let's hope Winter pulls it's finger out into the new year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, Steve Edgefield said:

11C here in Southampton and grey again. I've seen lower temps in June! 

Ridiculously mild for the week ahead too at times.

Remarkable really but the lack of sunshine is dismal.

Nov/Dec going to be record breaking surely for the extended warmth, one I hope won't be repeated for a fair few years.  Sadly, though I think that more and more unlikely.

I am missing the cold.

In the land of crazy contrasts it hit a low of -3.7c here overnight and that'll be far from the lowest Scotland will have seen. If the forecast is accurate well be lucky to get above freezing all day, but it's a sunny cold at least. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, daz_4 said:

Yes I know, it's crazy, my family in a Moravian village have had to drill for their own well as the water supply they had is drying up. No washing machine, shower, cooking when you need it. Madness!

• Like 1

Posted

What can I say. That's about the worse chart you could imagine for a melt down New Year. No cruel frosts and snow crisp deep and even there, only in Lapland. I know it is the far reaches of F1, so likely not to be the case. If it is correct, help.

C

Rtavn3841.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Looking bleak for pre or post-Christmas skiing. I fancied a run over to Sancy next weekend to set up the Christmas mood, but travelling for warm hill-walking does not appeal to me!

I'm heading back to the UK for Christmas on the 23rd - I'm guessing from the charts there'll be another storm and travel uncertainty (another fun ride coming up - I'm just pleased I didn't choose the ferry option!)... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Someone needs to switch the GFS off and on again, it's gone flip flopping mad. Regarding cold, it will be  Easter soon and the cold will still be out in F1 and before you know it, 20c and sunny as spring arrives. I'm not saying winter is over:ninja: it never arrived in the first place, so technically it is:oops::friends:

Posted

If only it was 20c and sunny when Spring arrived, this default of teen's celcius murk seems to take over every season now, exhausting.

• Like 2

Posted

Might take peoples mind off of things for a minute some impressive images of the Bering Sea bomb

At last check, the Bering Sea Bomb was down to 924 MB ! Check it out on this satellite loop. http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=himawari-8/north_pacific_ahi_band11_ash&width=1600&height=676&number_of_images_to_display=24 

Himawari-8 water vapor images: rapid intensification of Bering Sea storm since 12UTC/12 DEC http://go.wisc.edu/4ud0j3 

• Like 3