Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Most will now if they aren't looking for cold..snow...me il keep looking out the window until 11 59 31 12 15

:cold::D

Ramp ramp ramp! Written off ??? Enjoy my snow southerners lol

DSC_0068.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Yep been pouring with snow here for 4 hours or so today with no warning. About 3 inches lay and still snowing. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

DSC_0068.JPG

At least it will all be gone within the next 24 hours - makes me feel slightly better. :oops:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
11 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

DSC_0068.JPG

I am enjoying your snow in the snow starved Alps as well !  But your thaw will be rapid, enjoy it while its still there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Indeed it isn't mild everywhere.Freezing in the snow in the far north of England.Scotland continually in the cold for at least the next 24hrs with frosts tonight.Colder air coming as far south as the midlands overnight too.

It shows the notable differences in perception between north and south at the moment.

It may be zonal but it isn't mild all the way.:) 

• Like 4

Posted
33 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Most will now if they aren't looking for cold..snow...me il keep looking out the

15 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I am enjoying your snow in the snow starved Alps as well !  But your thaw will be rapid, enjoy it while its still there.

window until 11 59 31 12 15

:cold::D

Still all quite surprising at my elavation. So anything is a bonus today. Nice to see the kids sledging and snowman making. Almost forgot what snow was after the last two snow starved winters.

Posted
14 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Indeed it isn't mild everywhere.Freezing in the snow in the far north of England.Scotland continually in the cold for at least the next 24hrs with frosts tonight.Colder air coming as far south as the midlands overnight too.

It shows the notable differences in perception between north and south at the moment.

It may be zonal but it isn't mild all the way.:) 

The perception matches reality; the north/south temperature gradient has been stark and persistent for a while now, with the midlands south being very mild and northern England northwards being closer to average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

Still all quite surprising at my elavation. So anything is a bonus today. Nice to see the kids sledging and snowman making. Almost forgot what snow was after the last two snow starved winters.

Yes it will defo be gone very soon but I was snow starved and a good few hours out there with the scene like a winter wonderland I won't complain. Today has been the best snowfall for a couple of years to be fair. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
6 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

The perception matches reality; the north/south temperature gradient has been stark and persistent for a while now, with the midlands south being very mild and northern England northwards being closer to average.

Indeed.I perhaps should have said perception expressed elsewhere of a very mild December when in reality it's been quite cold north of the border for a few days.As ever it's all down to where we live in the UK.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

Uh, not quite. It's been exceptionally mild here - only today and yesterday have been remotely cold, and yesterday was the first sub-10C day this month - and that was only 7C, exactly average for December.

The average for the entire month until this point is 10C which is 6 degrees above normal.

In fact, looking at the stats from Redesdale Camp, it's been very mild there too with 8 out of 12 days having highs above 10C - so I'm not sure the perception matches reality at all.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Uh, not quite. It's been exceptionally mild here - only today and yesterday have been remotely cold, and yesterday was the first sub-10C day this month - and that was only 7C, exactly average for December.

The average for the entire month until this point is 10C which is 6 degrees above normal.

In fact, looking at the stats from Redesdale Camp, it's been very mild there too with 8 out of 12 days having highs above 10C - so I'm not sure the perception matches reality at all.

Fair enough, by northern England I meant more Cumbria/Northumberland rather than our locations. Saying that, if Redesdale is very mild then I'm obviously wrong! 

In my defence, I never mentioned "below average". :) It only got to around 7C in my location yesterday, and in the wind it felt quite raw. Certainly felt closer to average December than "mild".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Want to ask a question. If you look at the GFS12z @348hrs there is a really tight squeeze in the isobars down the east side of greenland. I know this isn't un-common,and seems to happen regulary.

I think i'm right in saying,thay are called "katabatic" winds,although i may be wrong. 

My question is,are those winds really that strong and what kinds of speeds are we talking about?

Sometimes you can't see any space between the lines! Such wind speeds in the U.K would be a calamity of the highest order.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just feel GFS and ECM are onto something here, wet and wild, more of a typical December with the jet moving south

only time where I am confident of an FI coming off

ECM1-240.GIF?12-0              

gfs-0-228.png?12

this is more typical Dec weather, more than we've had, agree with Scott and Nick actually thinking about it, that's why my CET guess was only 7.1C, I thought the jet would be further South

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Come on, stop with this "very mild and rainy is average". This December is running as the warmest on record so far, and with the predicted CET, it could very much turn out to be the warmest. It's also seen the highest rainfall in just a 24-hour period as well. That makes this month just as exceptional as December 2010 was, but for mildness instead!

Agree Scott, more typical Dec is what GFS and ECM are currently showing in FI, wet/wild and temps around 6C, not 13C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like the polar vortex may be moving up a few gears if the GFS & ECM are calling it right as we move towards Christmas week, but we shall see... Stormy Christmas period perhaps? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very generalistic I know, but I normally stick to the idea that in November one would expect a lot of southwesterly winds, December more westerly, January more northwesterly, February northerly and so on, with easterlies more likely in spring months. Obviously very general and that applies to a more general pattern, but polar maritime air would tend to become more common throughout December with January and February being the best months for cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Sick of this winter already!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL FI may have a snowy Christmas according to GFS .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yawn another day of gloom, wind with some rain in the air - at least with this gloom I can get more out of the xmas lights on the house during the day! :) - still waiting for the first single figure max day this month never mind waiting for the first frost. Absolutley shocking....

Glad to see some parts up north have seen a brief glimpse of the mythical snow...blink and it's gone (like last winter).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
7 hours ago, kag said:

Contemplating giving the grass its first cut but too wet, at least the rain is cold just now and there is the prospect of our first frost of the season and probably the last for this month. 

I know what you mean by the grass needs cutting at least we had some frosts not many though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Heard someone describe our climate as being "Wonderfully  diverse " that must be modern PC speak for Sh...te

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Heard someone describe our climate as being "Wonderfully  diverse " that must be modern PC speak for Sh...te

Well, It hasn't been the same for months, has it? So yes, it is 'wonderfully diverse'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I reckon that parts of Suffolk, Norfolk and some parts of rural Essex might see their first sub-10C day, tomorrow?