Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

How anyone can describe this first week as "normal winter fare" is beyond me! Have some folks not seen the news lately...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Nick L said:

How anyone can describe this first week as "normal winter fare" is beyond me! Have some folks not seen the news lately...

Indeed, Nick...And while the poor folks up north have been inundated, many of us down here (like me) are still walking around wearing only tee-shirts & jeans. IMO, it's been far from normal!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Hmm - well no. I've lived in Dorset and Somerset since 1993. In that time I've seen snow in November, I've seen harsh frosts in November (in the 90s some were very harsh), and plenty of cold days in December. This winter is so far shocking - and part of that by the way is the obvious westerly regime that will dominate for another fortnight at least. 

I think you are lurking in the wrong thread. Go and take your gloomy reasoned argument to the model watchers - nearly all of whom pour over charts in detail without bothering to take into account the global drivers that are making this winter so poor.

And as this Nino is far from "normal" then any comment referring to "normal" weather is pointless. And anyway - since when was anything "normal" in the world of weather when so much chaos dominates? Are you telling me it is "normal" to be warm in December... or should "normal" be that it is a bit colder? Bah - daft argument.

And my comment stands. So far - early days yes - this winter is a depressingly poor one.

I think your first sentence or so completely agrees with my point regarding sometimes above and sometimes below average. November isn't winter...winter started 6 days ago. I've lived in the same area since 1981, and as u describe some snow in November and colder days in December. 1991 for a few days great, 2009/10 the exception. Cheer up, winter has just begun. Move to a more seasonal country is my advice for u. It's only the weather.....

Edited by MPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, MPG said:

When has the UK ever been known for cold winter seasons? Our climate is mild, that being in winter and summer, with some periods of above or below average. How can this winter be awful, it's 6 days old! This december is no different to any other, wet, windy and snow for scotish hills. 2010 spolit us, and was a one off, we don't live in Scandinavia or Canada. This is normal UK winter fare, really don't get why people expect days or weeks of cold, snow, frost when it's not the norm for our shores.

This might answer your question :)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=

Sure, we've had a rubbish couple of decades from time to time but it's not unreasonable to expect the phenomenon we used to refer to in the 80s as 'frost' in December nor to have to don more clothes than just a T-shirt and jeans to light fireworks on Bonfire Night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

Sure, we've had a rubbish couple of decades from time to time but it's not unreasonable to expect the phenomenon we used to refer to in the 80s as 'frost' in December nor to have to don more clothes than just a T-shirt and jeans to light fireworks on Bonfire Night. 

And one might expect at least a 24/36 hour toppled in December, not too much to ask is it? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

T shirt weather here today. Very mild and so does a fair bit of this week! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Needless to say, our winter averages don't constitute tee-shirt weather at any point during the winter. This weather is almost interesting in that it is 'so' mild - hopefully something to be got out of the weather's system before it starts behaving itself again. It just feels like it's been the same temperature since about mid-October. Starting the day at 13C is on par with early September!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
23 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

...just for fun, try reading through last novembers (2014) thread, youll see that quite a few 'big names' were proven to be talking 'guff' - the point being that no one, ... NO ONE , knows whats going to happen. even the very best (glacier point) was wrong (and he would be the first to admit it) .

viewing the noaa anomaly charts - theres no sign of a pattern change mid month, which is quite apt really because a pattern change x weeks ahead was promised by so many last november-december. the mean upper flow for days 6-10 suggest a transitory colder snap before the 8-14 brings the upper flow back to a more south westerly one.  of course these charts might be proven incorrect, but they are also proven to be the most accurate in predicting the mean upper flow for the time period they pertain to.

so for those hoping for a pattern change mid month, (and i suspect many are) the bad news is that the noaa charts suggest that it is unlikely to happen - in this timeframe. 

for me?... ill be surprised if we keep a generally westerly based regime all winter, i do expect a pattern change (but not necessarily to very cold), just not yet.

well.................. after saying all that yesterday, the latest anomaly chart ARE hinting at a possible pattern change 10-14 days time as the 8-14 day mean is now edging towards pressure rise over scandinavia. IF this builds there might be a significant change to something much colder.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

well.................. after saying all that yesterday, the latest anomaly chart ARE hinting at a possible pattern change 10-14 days time as the 8-14 day mean is now edging towards pressure rise over scandinavia. IF this builds there might be a significant change to something much colder.

I think at this moment in time a lot of us will be looking for something that's drier with the hunt for cold and snow being put on the back burner, as we've far more pressing concerns to contend with for now. I'm not saying that's what you're looking for Mushy of course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
11 hours ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

And one might expect at least a 24/36 hour toppled in December, not too much to ask is it? 

Posted

Yes its way, way too mild. Of course daylight is now dwindling down to the Winter Equinox minimum, but I suspect that if the days had been just slightly longer, Ie it was early November,  we could have achieved 20c in a few locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Superb weather today. A bit cloudier currently but has been quite sunny and nr 15c. Shorts are out to walk the dog. :)

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

16c just now coming across Avon bridge on M5 towards Bristol.

More like mid-September.

I wonder if the weather will balance out as some people like to think.......are we in for some really cold days soon??

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

16c just now coming across Avon bridge on M5 towards Bristol.

More like mid-September.

Aye, it's positively balmy. Or, should I say 'barmy'!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just seen someone out in flip flops... and another out in shorts and a gilet! Who are these people! :doh:

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Just seen someone out in flip flops... and another out in shorts and a gilet! Who are these people! :doh:

GFS has the flip-flops; Tim Sherwood, the gillet?:)

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Sadly, we have cloud and, until an hour or so ago, drizzle to accompany the mild weather.  That's been the biggest negative from November and the first few days of this month - the heavy, leaden skies.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I've just walked the dog in a t shirt and shorts. Extremely pleasant conditions. Obviously this in July would be cool but at this time of year, not at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, MPG said:

I wonder if the weather will balance out as some people like to think.......are we in for some really cold days soon??

doubt it, but I think we (the south) will have to pay for this good weather, days of rain coming up I feel, as the jet moves south, bringing much cooler weather, say 6C max and min, where the north enjoys colder brighter weather with snow at times

Posted

Absolutely vile day. 4th sunless day of the month and the most repulsive of them all. Drizzly filth with barely any daylight. 9.7C now and rising. Yet again the disgusting wind that never lets up is rattling away preparing to give me a third sleepless night in less than a week.

Never felt so hacked off and disinterested in the weather. This is just total garbage. The worst first week of winter since 2002 and no end in sight. Just day after day of soul-destroying dross :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I know what you mean, I listened to the local forecast earlier, the girl gave out more of the same rubbish and then started enthusing over the as she put it " wonderfully mild temperatures" I'm sure the poor devils getting flooded out of their homes and losing practically everything are loving them as well.

It just hacks me off with this constant obsession with having to put a positive spin on things You can't polish a turd.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, 78/79 said:

I know what you mean, I listened to the local forecast earlier, the girl gave out more of the same rubbish and then started enthusing over the as she put it " wonderfully mild temperatures" I'm sure the poor devils getting flooded out of their homes and losing practically everything are loving them as well.

It just hacks me off with this constant obsession with having to put a positive spin on things You can't polish a turd.

Well what's your location? NW England? if so it sounds like it could be dianne oxberry or Eno Equator

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

240-777UK_xes5.GIF

My parents up on the Lancs/Cumbria coastline border are now without power. They'd had enough even before the weekend with constant south westerly gales and downpours but I fear for them. They're in their seventies and can't cope as well as most. Having just looked at GFS and just thinking for God's sake stop! 

I'm reduced to appealing to a deity, that's how appalling this weather is!! 

I hope GFS is wrong and high pressure pushes in because their lives could be about to get an awful lot worse......

Edited by ukpaul