Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
13 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Really hoping for something dry and settled to turn up soon, don't care whether it's mild, cold or dull as long as it's dry....We really cannot cope with any further rainfall, sadly that isn't going to happen this week with more worrying times ahead for flood hit areas with further rainfall forecast... 

Terrible pictures from Cumbria. Making the news over here on many channels. Sludge pump conditions for you and drought for us . Crazy weather. Only common factor is the amazing mild temperatures across much of Europe.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Right taking the kids out for a meal and panto, I want upgrades to cold from the 12hrs runs please when I get back and that means you as well ECM!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

At least we can have faith that a proper cold spell is likely in mid to late February,early March.

is it?

Posted
17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

is it?

I would say April/May before we see more favourable conditions but by then as we know the moment of promise has long gone. I expect a poor summer to follow due to the forecasted strong La Niña  during late spring onwards. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Look at this way if we do get a good spell of cold and snow after the New Year most of us won't care that it was mild and snowless in December (not that it necessarily will be) so lets think of it like that shall we. We're expecting too much too soon really.

That's as maybe; I suspect those flooded-out of their homes in the north-west in the run up to Christmas and through into the New Year might be the exception.:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

todays gfs looks gruesome a week before xmas  give us a break please

gfs-0-252.png?12?12

Posted
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That's as maybe; I suspect those flooded-out of their homes in the north-west in the run up to Christmas and through into the New Year might be the exception.:(

Granted. But honestly for most of us on here away from the North West our disappointment is more to do with the lack of cold and snowy weather in the models than the lack of dry weather, as for most of us that's what we look forward to in Winter. All I'm saying is just because this month doesn't show much promise of such (for now at least) doesn't mean that the whole Winter will be like this. And being as  December rarely delivers much in terms of such weather in this part of the world and January and February are traditionally much more likely to, we shouldn't get to despondent at this stage is all.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
Spelling error

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

At least we can have faith that a proper cold spell is likely in mid to late February,early March.

That's what we all thought in 2013-14 but it never happened, just day after day of rain and storms right through to March.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Try telling that to those who are flooded, I'm sure they'll agree with you.

But i did just say brisk mild southwesterlies, nothing regarding wanting excessive rainfall.  They dont necessarily have to go together. I am speaking for my experiences in my area where it has been a mostly dry weekend apart from a few showers today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I'm starting to think my 5yo daughter's generation will grow up to become adults who hark back to their childhood winters with "remember when temperatures got as low as the teens and you could even have days with just drizzle?! Very festive. Sometimes we gathered around the family iPad to Google photos of snow."

The stuff of nightmares.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

I'm starting to think my 5yo daughter's generation will grow up to become adults who hark back to their childhood winters with "remember when temperatures got as low as the teens and you could even have days with just drizzle?! Very festive. Sometimes we gathered around the family iPad to Google photos of snow."

The stuff of nightmares.

amazing I'm in single figures 8.3C, gone chilly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

amazing I'm in single figures 8.3C, gone chilly

Show-off :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Dr Cohen's blogs have been pretty accurate so far and tbh looks very unlikely that Europe is going to experience anything significantly cold this side of xmas unless something remarkable happens. As others have pointed out LRFs out for say a month ahead have been saying expect a mild December and that's what we look like getting. All rather depressing and December 2010 really looks like being a once in a 50 year event.  Just hope Jan & Feb give cold and snow loving fans something more positive than this December looks like doing !! 

Posted
On Fri Dec 04 2015 16:14:16 GMT+0000, knocker said:

I'm normally filled with much trepidation when I read comments such as "The pattern change to a blocked is pretty certain" as it nearly always presages the unseemly sight of grown men weeping.

Meto updates look ecouraging if you like cold. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

The stuff of nightmares.

Don't worry, Gleissberg minimum, cold AMO, east based La Niña's, -QBO, -PDO, mini Ice ages, volcanic eruptions.. .. and some of that next year! 

There's always stuff to dream about, the next generation may come out better than us! 

Clem

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
13 minutes ago, Fingers said:

Don't worry, Gleissberg minimum, cold AMO, east based La Niña's, -QBO, -PDO, mini Ice ages, volcanic eruptions.. .. and some of that next year! 

There's always stuff to dream about, the next generation may come out better than us! 

Clem

Ha - I love your optimism! I'll share it until the day I die.... but right now this winter is awful, on the back of an awful one for the south last year. If we dont get the substantial wave 1 shunt to the vortex in the 3 - 6 week time bracket then this winter will end up a disaster throughout. I'm trying not to have a bad feeling overall, but with constant wind and rain it is difficult. And it is so damned warm too. Where are my winter heating bills? I miss them... :-(

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Ha - I love your optimism! I'll share it until the day I die.... but right now this winter is awful, on the back of an awful one for the south last year. If we dont get the substantial wave 1 shunt to the vortex in the 3 - 6 week time bracket then this winter will end up a disaster throughout. I'm trying not to have a bad feeling overall, but with constant wind and rain it is difficult. And it is so damned warm too. Where are my winter heating bills? I miss them... :-(

Optimism is all you have on the south coast! Been starved of snow for years now, even March 2013 was just very cold with no action. 

At least you're saving money on the heating bills. You can put it towards a snow machine purchase, the bad news you'll have to pick one of the three days we have a frost this winter to use it and be up very early! :D

Clem 

Edited by Fingers
  • Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Catacol said:

When has the UK ever been known for cold winter seasons? Our climate is mild, that being in winter and summer, with some periods of above or below average. How can this winter be awful, it's 6 days old! This december is no different to any other, wet, windy and snow for scotish hills. 2010 spolit us, and was a one off, we don't live in Scandinavia or Canada. This is normal UK winter fare, really don't get why people expect days or weeks of cold, snow, frost when it's not the norm for our shores.

Edited by MPG
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, MPG said:

When has the UK ever been known for cold winter seasons? Our climate is mild, that being in winter and summer, with some periods of above or below average. How can this winter be awful, it's 6 days old! This december is no different to any other, wet, windy and snow for scotish hills. 2010 spolit us, and was a one off, we don't live in Scandinavia or Canada. This is normal UK winter fare, really don't get why people expect days or weeks of cold, snow, frost when it's not the norm for our shores.

Can tell you're not replying to me!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
11 minutes ago, MPG said:

Hmm - well no. I've lived in Dorset and Somerset since 1993. In that time I've seen snow in November, I've seen harsh frosts in November (in the 90s some were very harsh), and plenty of cold days in December. This winter is so far shocking - and part of that by the way is the obvious westerly regime that will dominate for another fortnight at least. 

I think you are lurking in the wrong thread. Go and take your gloomy reasoned argument to the model watchers - nearly all of whom pour over charts in detail without bothering to take into account the global drivers that are making this winter so poor.

And as this Nino is far from "normal" then any comment referring to "normal" weather is pointless. And anyway - since when was anything "normal" in the world of weather when so much chaos dominates? Are you telling me it is "normal" to be warm in December... or should "normal" be that it is a bit colder? Bah - daft argument.

And my comment stands. So far - early days yes - this winter is a depressingly poor one.

• Like 1

Posted

Can we please smash the euro high to smithereens, and inject some freezing water into the equatorial pacific. It can't be a coincidence the super El Nino and record breaking rainfall here are linked. I am hoping for a major change, a big fat high pressure settling over the country for two weeks would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
18 minutes ago, MPG said:

Well after 5 days we are running 5C above the seasonal norm, this anomaly will be pretty representative of the first 10 days of this month given the forecasts. For the start of winter it doesn't get much worse to be honest, bland, windy and mild in the south, extremely wet for north western areas. This start is pretty much 88/89 material. The only way is up from here. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Can we please smash the euro high to smithereens, and inject some freezing water into the equatorial pacific. It can't be a coincidence the super El Nino and record breaking rainfall here are linked. I am hoping for a major change, a big fat high pressure settling over the country for two weeks would be nice.

What makes it more depressing is when we see the switch over from a Nino base to a Niña one we'll still be in a poor position for cold. It seems we have a very small window of goldilocks opportunity for everything to be just right..:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Or the 'chicken pox' opportunity: for everything to be just s**te!:)

Posted

We may only be 6 days in but the running CET is 10.1'c, 4.9'c above average so almost double the long term average with no real cold forecast down south in the reliable time frame. The start of winter is certainly not normal but hope to get SSW showing in the <240 hour timeframe and get that currently +2 NAO tanking negative. 

We don't get much sustained cold here in the uk but frosts would be a good start!

Not sure 275mm of rain in one day is that normal either! 

Clem

Edited by Fingers
  • Like 1