Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
12 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

fair but you are not really representative of what most of theScottish  populace experience.

I get that some have done ok thus far but i've had ahandful of   frosts thus far... 3/4 instances of sleet, none were even remotely close to lying. Ridiculous levels of rain though.

True Saltire, though obviously I can only paint the picture from my area but it will certainly be a picture representative of numerous other communities that may not be on here, but experience a similar winter. It's certainly been reasonably pedestrian so far, so something more substantial, prolonged and countrywide would be great to see and very well received by the ski resorts too 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Early January is always a tough time after the Christmas/New Year holidays but this weather certainly isn't helping. Yet another day of grey skies, strong SE winds, occasional rain and temps stuck around 7c. Most Scottish stations are yet to record their first sunshine of 2016. The models are offering us some hope in the medium term - what I would give for a clear, frosty day!

• Like 5

Posted

Picked this up from twitter - Abergeldie Castle which is on the opposite bank and downstream meander from where the A93 vanished into the Dee. Was close to 40m+ from the heavily forested river bank on 29th Dec! 

abergeldie.thumb.jpg.4b4ecdccb00837939bc

Google Maps aerial view shows the distance well https://goo.gl/maps/xJ5pQzuVTK72

While the Dee reached the highest level since the Aberdeen gauging station opened in the 1920s, it's been suggested from how high the river got on the Bridge of Dee that it's probably the highest in the almost 500years since the Bridge of Dee was built. Given the Bridge of Dee carries around 40,000 vehicles a day (despite a width restriction to avoid pedestrians being decapitated) just as well it is unscathed!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Loads of pictures around under this link

Couldn't get google maps to load from link so in case anyone else had same issue here is the aerial picture and another of Abergeldie Castle from ITV news.

Capture.thumb.JPG.9cd438d2f146e1c15e19d7stream_img.thumb.jpg.a19a451ce805646e10c

Also found this! Now that's efficiency...

16010506_0406.thumb.gif.39c6740c88b7a8e0

• Like 2

Posted

In the autumn when anyone who knew my interest in the weather asked me for a winter outlook I said after the summer we had had we would have extreme weather whatever we got as I feel the UK has lost its benign climate. As the above posts show we have flooding on one side of the Cairngorms whereas at our side we are dry and breezy with the ploughing getting dusty on the surface.  So in the  space of one hundred miles we have one extreme to the other.     Currently dull , breezy and 5c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some drone footage here of Abergeldie Castle, I really hope it continues to stand. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/35219769

And more spectacular waves at een with plenty of foam building! 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Another angle taken just an hour or so ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

No idea about tidal conditions so went looking and found this - seems to differ with that the poster mentions on facebook?

Capture.thumb.JPG.6bf88760816286409f8154

Another view... remarkable..

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2

Posted

Ouch that looks nasty in Perth. Here in the NE the rain also continues to come down and both the Dee and Don are causing real concern.

For anyone that knows Aberdeen this was the formal gardens in Seaton Park an hour or so ago. It is a bit of a flood plain but rarely are these gardens inundated like this.

IMG_3240 -1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well the River Don at the bottom of our road is the highest I've ever seen it. We're at least a meter, probably two above the current height so it would take a huge additional volume of flood water across the flood plain to cause us any problems. If I was living in a few of the houses on the edge of the estate closest to the river I'd be getting worried though. 

IMG_20160104_124641664.thumb.jpg.53af0b3

IMG_20160104_155235592.thumb.jpg.0e2346d

IMG_20160104_155228784.thumb.jpg.1932ec2

IMG_20160104_155249565.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

A93 now passable by cars though still flooded south of Glenshee, earlier was only open to HGVs. I wonder how many people in Braemar need to travel East for work. A number of Glenshee staff are the wrong side for work and I believe some have been directly affected. 

I've seen the Don flow along the roadway a bit in Seaton Park, but never back along the paths like that. Always able to get through on a bike with dry feet in my time in that part of the world. Guess the Brig o' Balgownie is something of a bottleneck when the river is like me that! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

With all the focus on flooding...understandably....Thought would take a wee break from it and an outside chance still of snow on Thursday particularly at elevation and then next week a rapid change of temperature and a real cold snap....jury out on how long will be but looking like some of us  will potentially get a decent spell 

568ac7f77eb58_192_mslp850uk.pngcb585.png.71228d862ca6bf3828e61815e0f4eca9.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 hour ago, edo said:

With all the focus on flooding...understandably....Thought would take a wee break from it and an outside chance still of snow on Thursday particularly at elevation and then next week a rapid change of temperature and a real cold snap....jury out on how long will be but looking like some of us  will potentially get a decent spell 

568ac7f77eb58_192_mslp850uk.pngcb585.png.71228d862ca6bf3828e61815e0f4eca9.png

I noticed that - quite a nice cold trough setup on the ECM, with a slack northerly type flow from Monday onwards. Perhaps a bit overdone, but these temperatures are based on that run:
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Edinburgh/long.html

A very nice looking Arctic high in place by the end of the run too:

ECH1-240.GIF?04-0

Just one option but certainly a lot more interest than we've had lately, and hopefully a lot less rainfall after this stuff passes through.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Seriously cold air coming into the North by a week today so gathering pace towards the reliable...

ECM0-168.GIF.1b053a1647a2c3973c2909629cea38cb.GIF

Posted

An awful lot of very heavy persistent rain falling in a stationary spot in the southern Borders/NW Northumberland at the moment.  Hope everyone's up a hill down there.

Posted

I would not say 'seriously' cold, only a few degrees below average which, admittedly, would feel seriously cold considering the temperatures we have been accustomed to as of late! Was outside before and I felt it was freezing under the belting rain but temp was 7º so not cold enough for it to snow on the hills. Worst weather type ever and SW Saltire in Dollar we have recorded 30 days with measurable precipitation so the figure in Stirling will not be far off. Only three completely dry days since 1st Nov, rather freakish if you think about it, although that takes into account the 0.2mm measured each day on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Nov by the dense fog. 

Happy this evening with the BBC's outlook, let's hope we do get a cold snap next week, I for one would not mind piling up on wet days as long as they are of a white nature! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, edo said:

Seriously cold air coming into the North by a week today so gathering pace towards the reliable...

Plenty of time for it all to go mongooses up.  I've probably jinxed it tonight by ordering a pair of white-mongoose-shoes over t'internet, much as did Blitzen a few winters ago with her snowblower (at least I think it was).  At least I'll be able to take mine on hols....

Edit:  I like John Hammond's 'polar view'.  He was supressing quite a big grin in the last few seconds there...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
9 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Plenty of time for it all to go mongooses up.  I've probably jinxed it tonight by ordering a pair of white-mongoose-shoes over t'internet, much as did Blitzen a few winters ago with her snowblower (at least I think it was). 

GUILTY!!!!........Wonder if it still works?:unknw:

You seem to have had a bit of a shoe fetish lately HC? what with snow shoes, white shoes, but thankfully not at the beige Hush Puppy stage yet I see!:D

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

From Traffic Scotland;

Start Time:05 Jan 2016 - 04:34Location:A939 Cock BridgeType:Snow Gate ClosureRoute Name:A939Direction:NorthboundDescription:A939 is closed at the snow gate at Bridge of Lecht due to adverse weather conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, for some strange reason we haven't had rain for two whole days! Now there's something very wrong there! I see that Aberdeenshire is taking a soaking, things not looking good for Aberdalgie Castle though. I'd hate to lose my home like that, you have to feel sorry for the folks who live there. 

11 hours ago, edo said:

Love that chart Edo, I pray it will come to pass!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yep, still raining in Aberdeenshire, though at least the level of the river Don has dropped significantly from yesterdays high. Going from memory here but my weather station recorded roughly 24mm of rain on Sat, 21mm on Sun, and 27mm yesterday. Not huge amounts by standards elsewhere, nor record breaking for here, but it's still a fair total in the last 3 days.

Around 9am it was only 3C and the rain was ever so slightly sleety. Hoping the models are correct and we get a cool down for next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

4.9c/4.6c/ENE.   This really is so depressing!   It's not so much that the rain is heavy it's the persistence.   10.8mm so far today with no sign of stopping.   Very dark also.

Posted
5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

From Traffic Scotland;

Start Time:05 Jan 2016 - 04:34Location:A939 Cock BridgeType:Snow Gate ClosureRoute Name:A939Direction:NorthboundDescription:A939 is closed at the snow gate at Bridge of Lecht due to adverse weather conditions.

Good news since the headwaters of the Don are in the hills above Cock Bridge, and the more precipipation which falls as snow, the less water is going straight into the river system as rain.  Snow levels dropping in the hills should be a good thing for flood-hit areas.

Lecht webcams certainly looking pretty snowy now:

the-lecht1.jpg

• Like 1