Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

I have decided that I want the Earth to start spinning the other way round. OK, it'll cause some confusion tomorrow evening with the sun setting in the East, but judging by the topsy-turvy nature of the reports the last few days, the weather would be much improved in the West :p

You say that now but think it through. When I am two metres deep in snow and you're trying to scrape together enough for a snowball...

Posted

Beautiful day in NE Fife.

Just kidding. The haar is so thick you can slice it and spread it on your toast. 4.7c currently, never got above 5c in Crail.

Edited by Hawesy

3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Beautiful day in NE Fife.

Just kidding. The haar is so thick you can slice it and spread it on your toast. 4.7c currently, never got above 5c in Crail.

You must have a sharp knife if you can slice that stuff out there. It's thick as anything. We popped over to Duns earlier to get some milk and at some points I was down to 20mph and couldn't quite work out where I was. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You must have a sharp knife if you can slice that stuff out there. It's thick as anything. We popped over to Duns earlier to get some milk and at some points I was down to 20mph and couldn't quite work out where I was. 

Yes, it's disconcerting how familiar roads look entirely different in the haar. My sister, visiting one time, described  it as very atmospheric. I assured her that wouldn't be the term you would use after a few haar-filled days while the rest of the country basked in sunshine.

Posted

A cool start again at 3c and dull.    In  spite of some warmer sunny afternoons there is only a tinge of green in the fields as the nights are still too cold for  plant growth and purple yellow and brown still dominate.  But at least the ground is drying and we are progressing with stone removal from the cereal fields.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

A few scattered clouds, but other than that, it's blue sky from horizon to horizon. There's a slight breeze this morning so I don't think it'll have the quality of yesterday, even if it stays sunny.

Posted
On 3/16/2016 at 10:31 AM, 101_North said:

In summary: Awful, miserable, grey, damp, drizzly, chilly, pish! 

Can't be arsed typing it again!

• Like 1

Posted

How unusual is this view of the UK ? It's as if the weather gods have decided to see what the opposite of normality looks like and put all the high ground areas on the western side of the British Isles (West Highlands, Southern Uplands, Lake District, Snowdonia, Beacons, Dartmoor & Exmoor, W &  SW Ireland) in the sunshine, and put everywhere else in the cloud. Did the sun set in the East after all ?

Wall-to-wall sunshine now in Moffat. An excellent day for painting & paint drying as it's quite windy, but not so much fun being up a ladder.

cloud.JPG

Edited by moffatross

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No comment.

(Any other attempt to describe today's weather would just fall foul of the swear filter).

Posted

Business as usual by Easter.

graphe3_1000___-3.45_55.33_.gif

Considering what's been, and looking at that GFS ensemble spaghetti for Moffat, what's coming up, I want to say to the high pressure, bring it back, bring it back, don't take it away from me. They could be the words for a song I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I think while i was away it was pretty sunny down in Dumfries this week... But alas i was in cloudy, chilly and occasionally foggy Stirling with temperatures around 6-8c. 

Last monday was glorious but i had to do an essay while the boys all climbed a hill and then had a pint afterwards....

Can't wait for all this work to be over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Can't wait for all this work to be over.

A word in your ear... unless you have a rich daddy, the work never stops.

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

A word in your ear... unless you have a rich daddy, the work never stops.

Of course it doesn't but there are temporary blips.... 

1st and 2nd year uni were. I break up for summer (bar two exams in late April/early May) in 3 weeks so summer will be fun.

Next year i'll only have my Dissertation to do, so a year of being a waster awaits.

Once i leave uni i'm screwed. 

Edit: I just think there are times in your life where it's going great (when taken as a whole period of time) and you have to just enjoy it.

These next 15/16 months will be probably the best of my life. Little work, old enough to be free but still bankrolled by mum and dad.

Unfortunately i need to be home this weekend but the boys are going to a techno event tonight and going by the videos in the groupchat of our flat it looks amazing. 

As long as the police don't turn up there haha as many an illegal substance will be found i imagine, i've been reliably told this is the case. 

All that freedom (to a large extent, i'll go into the police hopefully. My best friend is going to be a teacher) will be lost in a couple years. 

Just got to live it. From my point of view, life is great.

Sure, stuff happens. A girl who loved me died within 6 weeks of her Leukemia diagnosis. Wasn't great banter that. However, just got to live it, innit.

Party on! So many 21sts this year, v excited it must be said.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, moffatross said:

T-shirt weather today. Feeling warm under 30% broken cloud, and a gentle breeze.

Agreed.

10.5c, increasingly sunny. Sun feeling warm. Pleasant in a t-shirt if lightly active :)

• Like 1

On 18 March 2016 at 0:49 PM, moffatross said:

How unusual is this view of the UK ? It's as if the weather gods have decided to see what the opposite of normality looks like and put all the high ground areas on the western side of the British Isles (West Highlands, Southern Uplands, Lake District, Snowdonia, Beacons, Dartmoor & Exmoor, W &  SW Ireland) in the sunshine, and put everywhere else in the cloud. Did the sun set in the East after all ?

Wall-to-wall sunshine now in Moffat. An excellent day for painting & paint drying as it's quite windy, but not so much fun being up a ladder.

cloud.JPG

I couldn't work out was wrong with the map. Sure Scotland looks weird from that wonky angle you've used, it's never that size cos I've seen proper maps on telly, but where are the islands from the west of Scotland? 

As for it being t-shirt weather today, it is in the house as the fire is on, it's what seems like the new normal, grey and cool outside. 

Posted

Seeing as I've only been on here to whinge recently it's only fair to report a stunning day! Absolutely beautiful! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I couldn't work out was wrong with the map.

As for it being t-shirt weather today, it is in the house as the fire is on, it's what seems like the new normal, grey and cool outside. 

Nothing wrong with the projection, it's standard. It's more where the sunny breaks were that's unusual. Don't you agree ?

Sorry you're still not seeing any of the sun though. 

Edited by moffatross

17 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Of course it doesn't but there are temporary blips.... 

1st and 2nd year uni were. I break up for summer (bar two exams in late April/early May) in 3 weeks so summer will be fun.

Next year i'll only have my Dissertation to do, so a year of being a waster awaits.

Once i leave uni i'm screwed. 

Edit: I just think there are times in your life where it's going great (when taken as a whole period of time) and you have to just enjoy it.

These next 15/16 months will be probably the best of my life. Little work, old enough to be free but still bankrolled by mum and dad.

Unfortunately i need to be home this weekend but the boys are going to a techno event tonight and going by the videos in the groupchat of our flat it looks amazing. 

As long as the police don't turn up there haha as many an illegal substance will be found i imagine, i've been reliably told this is the case. 

All that freedom (to a large extent, i'll go into the police hopefully. My best friend is going to be a teacher) will be lost in a couple years. 

Just got to live it. From my point of view, life is great.

Sure, stuff happens. A girl who loved me died within 6 weeks of her Leukemia diagnosis. Wasn't great banter that. However, just got to live it, innit.

Party on! So many 21sts this year, v excited it must be said.

Enjoy it SWS, but you'll have other good times in your life too, don't be so resigned to your fate as an adult. 

2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Nothing wrong with the projection, it's standard. It's more where the sunny breaks were that's unusual. Don't you agree ?

Sorry you're still not seeing any of the sun though. 

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the BBC weather map and never explained it very well. Plus there are islands missing up the west coast...apart from that yes I can see the point about the sunshine :) 

Posted
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Seeing as I've only been on here to whinge recently it's only fair to report a stunning day! Absolutely beautiful! 

In for a cuppa again from working outside. I've left the doors & windows open and we've had both a butterfly and a bumble bee inside the house today.

Posted
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the BBC weather map and never explained it very well. Plus there are islands missing up the west coast...apart from that yes I can see the point about the sunshine :) 

Haha !! I get you now. Sorry for being dumb ... I'll blame it on paint and chainsaw fumes !! :oops: