Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Thick haar this morning. The start of what I fear might be a week of considerable greyness! 

Posted
16 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Thick haar this morning. The start of what I fear might be a week of considerable greyness! 

First haar of the season here too, though the sun has just broken through! 7c.

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

First haar of the season here too, though the sun has just broken through! 7c.

Today shouldn't be too bad, it's tomorrow and Wednesday which look particularly grey along the east coast. Gorgeous warm sunshine here, it is forecast to be dank and skanky tomorrow though. 

The temp forecasts are a dead give away of a slight change in the wind direction:

image.thumb.gif.fb62fa1c1a175f772b0f6d21image.thumb.gif.bcb36eb56c844848e37b3b8b

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

A belter of a day again I could get used to this you know

Posted
50 minutes ago, NUT said:
50 minutes ago, NUT said:

A belter of a day again I could get used to this you know

Same here but with a sea breeze from the north just like summer. Was  2c first thing however.

Posted

Bright sunshine but just 7.8c with the wind off the North Sea. Meanwhile I see it's 15c for the likes of Glasgow and Prestwick.

Posted

A fabulous, fabulous day !! :) Barely a breath of wind, and with warm sunshine, and blue skies, working outside from 8 am - 6 pm (and in a t-shirt from 10 am) was a total pleasure, and getting some rays on my pasty white skin to make some much needed Vitamin D was a proper brucy bonus :D

All was peachy until I heard the news that airport taxes are to be reduced (reducing government income) while D&G are about to slash their (already scant) bus services because they don't receive enough money from government to support them. Government used to be about the people ... now it's all about big business :angry:

Posted
9 hours ago, knocker said:

From my view of the mountains I can see some massive drifts  in the gullies and depressions after some big falls of snow and periods of severe gales in the last 2 months down to about a thousand feet.Yes any wind scoured areas are bare wth the thaw of the last few days but there are massive scars of snow and this will last for while with the temperature currently 0c  and clear here this morning. Read further down the twitter feed and mention is made of up to 15 metre drifts.Even with the late start to winter there has been considerable snowfall and last year fresh powder snow was accumulating all the way to the 17th of June  

We fed cattle at grass until the end of July because of such low temperatures with very poor grass growth  and I think  there was  a thousand metre run  still left at Glencoe for midsummer sking at Glencoe

• Like 1

Posted

Not quite the same as yesterday (it's cloudy for a start) and obviously cooler but not all gloomy trying to brighten up

Posted
10 minutes ago, NUT said:

Not quite the same as yesterday (it's cloudy for a start) and obviously cooler but not all gloomy trying to brighten up

The sun's out now, but we've got a proper fohn wind with it. Very unusual for this part of the world :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not even a half hearted attempt to clear up here, too close to the coast I suspect. Currently a cloudy, very low cloud in fact, 5.7C in Dyce currently, compared to a sunny 11.2C at the same time yesterday.

Funny though, we got a lot more sun yesterday than there was on Sunday but Sunday's high was a couple of degrees warmer.

Forecast for here up to and beyond the weekend is looking rather uninspiring. Daytime maxes of 6 or 7C under mainly cloudy skies, which of course means the mins only drop to 3 or 4C. ZZZzzz...

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

From my view of the mountains I can see some massive drifts  in the gullies and depressions after some big falls of snow and periods of severe gales in the last 2 months down to about a thousand feet.

I think Iain Cameron's impression is right though. He and I have done surveys  in the Moffat Hills in the Spring over the last few years and we'll need to get out in the next couple of week I reckon as there may be little left by May. If you compare the Ben Nevis photo in the twitter link to this one from a couple of years ago when I was skiing the gullies with some pals at the end of April you'll see it's been a very lean snow winter.

14077620003_594043c181_h.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

^^^ Although the pistes at Glenshee were in good condition last weekend when I was there, there definitely wasn't the depth of snow there was around the same time 2 years ago (wasn't at Glenshee last year so can't compare to that). In general the hills looked quite bare of snow compared to what I'd expect for this time of the year. I doubt it'll be a good season in terms of snow patches remaining come summer unless something unexpected happens soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffatross said:

The sun's out now, but we've got a proper fohn wind with it. Very unusual for this part of the world :)

I'm paying for it though. 6.7C, grey and breezy, it's back to November yet again. At least the drizzle has stopped, that's the most positive thing I can say about today :) 

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm paying for it though. 6.7C, grey and breezy, it's back to November yet again. At least the drizzle has stopped, that's the most positive thing I can say about today :) 

I have sympathy. Moffat is an absolute cool, dreich drizzle magnet on anything with a SW'ly component. There is lots of flat ground between us and the Solway Firth that doesn't suck up any moisture and when the air gets here, it's just pure minging, whereas  just 20 miles east at Selkirk & Hawick, the sun can be shining with temps 4 or 5 degrees warmer with the Moffat and Ettrick Hills having sucked up the moisture before it gets there.

As I said, it's a remarkable effect in Moffat when the tables are turned but you can console yourself that WSW is the status quo !

11 minutes ago, moffatross said:

I have sympathy. Moffat is an absolute cool, dreich drizzle magnet on anything with a SW'ly component. There is lots of flat ground between us and the Solway Firth that doesn't suck up any moisture and when the air gets here, it's just pure minging, whereas  just 20 miles east at Selkirk & Hawick, the sun can be shining with temps 4 or 5 degrees warmer with the Moffat and Ettrick Hills having sucked up the moisture before it gets there.

As I said, it's a remarkable effect in Moffat when the tables are turned but you can console yourself that WSW is the status quo !

It doesn't happen here too often so despite my earlier post I don't mind it too much. I lived in the west of Scotland for long enough to know what it's like to suffer from sea based moisture. The weather here is far drier and sunnier than in a lot of other parts so a few grey days is a price worth paying :) 

Posted

Anyone else seeing strange lights to the north? This is looking towards Glasgow City centre. Never seen anything light up the sky like this in the 15 years I've been here.  It is also noticeable towards the Kilpatrick Hills to the west of the city. Cloud cover seems thin so is there a chance this is the Northern Lights?

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6178 reduced.jpg

Edited by chemikal
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, chemikal said:

Anyone else seeing strange lights to the north? This is looking towards Glasgow City centre. Never seen anything light up the sky like this in the 15 years I've been here.  It is also noticeable towards the Kilpatrick Hills to the west of the city. Cloud cover seems thin so is there a chance this is the Northern Lights?

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6178 reduced.jpg

Yes when I looked out about an hour ago there was a medium Aurora which faded fairly soon.We have a starry sky and its currently 2c

Posted

Had sun for about 5 minutes today then clouded in really got quite breezy too with a little drizzle earlier what a difference from yesterday but it was expected