Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Woke up to a dusting this morning and yesterday's rain frozen to the car, road etc. Gingerly start to the drive to Glenshee as the roads were ungritted until we got to the A93. Wife and I had a fantastic day skiing, mainly in the sun other than an hour or so around midday. Piste conditions were firm but much better than I'd expected. I didn't take many pics (wife would tell you when I'm skiing I'm like an over excited puppy that just won't stop until it collapses)  but I'll try to post a couple later/tomorrow. 

Oh, and drove through another snow shower on way home. Last 10 mins of drive, not that heavy but looked heavier to the east. 

• Like 1

Posted

Was just out back door to be greeted by a fairly impressive aurora.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Welcome to the NW kilted thread.

Everyone's pretty cool but ignore CatchMyDrift's flirting; he does that with all the female posters.

Are you saying that @Hairy Celt is a lady? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms, Autumn
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Welcome to the NW kilted thread.

Everyone's pretty cool but ignore CatchMyDrift's flirting; he does that with all the female posters.

Pmsl thanks for the welcome and the advice, it's always good to know who to watch out for be told about men like him! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, 48yrs on this earth and that's the first time I've managed to catch an aurora! Wife and kids impressed too, thanks for the heads up. Didn't look as impressive as the above photo and was partially obscured by clouds but no doubting what we saw. 

Oh, and it's been snowing here again. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Frosty night here at -3'C and the Northern Lights have been putting on a great show in the skies above Inverness for a few hours now!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Was just out back door to be greeted by a fairly impressive aurora.

What with meteors the night sky has been very impressive this last week ,aurora still ongoing

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Snowing nicely here now but had a lovely view of the aurorae earlier.

image.jpeg

Great shot 

• Like 1

Posted

Impressive aurora here too, best I've seen since moving to NE Fife.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Nice covering in town pity i didnt see the northern lights should have checked spaceweather.com earlier hope theres another show tomorrow night before the weather front moves in from the west later on ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
29 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Impressive aurora here too, best I've seen since moving to NE Fife.

Had a great view of it driving back over the hill from Coupar Angus earlier this evening.My daughter took a couple of photos on her phone that look very like the Docs pic above without the city lights but didn't really do it justice. Clear and frosty with a great view of the stars too.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Great aurora last night, thanks for the heads up on here as I'd have probably crawled off to my kip none the wiser if not 

cold one this morning at -6c, everything locked solid 

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely stunning morning! Blue sky, calm, heavy frost and yesterday evenings snow still pretty much intact. Overnight low of around -4c. Beautiful. Shame about having to work.....

• Like 2

Posted

A beautiful morning looking round the Firth.

Looking North56dd42fe553ef_20160307(2).thumb.jpg.811c

Ben Wyvis56dd42ffbc58b_20160307(3).thumb.jpg.124c

Cliffs at Dunbeath20160307.thumb.jpg.d5378aa92ec461ecacb6d

Hills to west of Inverness56dd430153561_20160307(4).thumb.jpg.b7e8

• Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.jpg.da3b38d87c0da6d85bdd4262

One last pic of the snow cover from this morning as it looks like it'll be on it's way by the end of this week. The majority of it fell very nearly a month ago now, with the odd warm(er) day trying to dent it, but a good few top ups to sustain it. Some patches underneath from the fall at the end of January too

It's been a wintery few weeks, average upland Highland material but would be happy to see some greenery for some respite to commence various DIY efforts around the house. Doubt it'll be the last of the white stuff though, final fall last year was May 7th, with 10cm falling so went to vote in a blizzard. The Scottish weather enjoys bringing the unpredictable to your door 

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

The only two photos I took at Glenshee yesterday, which don't really do the day justice. I really should take more but it always seems such a faff getting the phone out.

IMG_20160306_102815393.thumb.jpg.899fe08

IMG_20160306_102826052.thumb.jpg.c66ba99

Glorious morning here too, but the glare of the sun on the wet roads was beyond a joke on the drive to work. We've got a light covering of snow from last nights showers but the sun is getting to work on that. Temp got to -1/6C I think overnight and was half a degree or so below freezing when I left the house at 8am.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to a milder spell or not. On one hand if we're not going to get 'proper' winter weather we might as well have some spring warmth to start getting on with the garden, house maintenance etc. On the other hand, it starts the long wait for next winter to arrive. Then again, there's no saying that the expected warmer temperatures will last, I've not been keeping up over the weekend but looking quickly this morning the models seem unsure of that.

• Like 2

Posted

Glenshee looking very nice yesterday Rav, been some cracking scenes these last few weeks. Will enjoy some spring like conditions if they come our way but I have a feeling in my gut this may well be "in like a lion out like a lion"..

* important to note, make the most of this winter as if Trump wins the presidency next winter may be a Nuclear one ;) 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted

Did some snowboarding up at Glencoe this weekend. From a personal perspective I think I prefer the terrain and layout at Cairngorm and Nevis on the snowboarding side, even though it's still pretty good. Regardless of that though, what a place!

glencoe.thumb.jpg.79ae7aef3a2ec6bf51f0fb glencoe2.thumb.jpg.d77ebfa1d4d9428181a77 glencoe3.thumb.jpg.8a556f738682734a5e5a3

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snow potential tonight. I read somewhere about the potential for Siberian winds middle of next week!

39 minutes ago, November13 said:

Snow potential tonight. I read somewhere about the potential for Siberian winds middle of next week!

It's all in the charts :) 

image.thumb.gif.7415ec72c2601710a5766ef5image.thumb.gif.f9bdf18723b76be85f84577cimage.thumb.gif.cfd434f9333a73d0cd45123e