Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

White out on some North West cams! Interesting blob tracking south east from Oban. Could hit Central Scotland. might be an hour of snow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

There's a band of ppn heading east towards me, shown as snow.  I can guarantee that it will not be snow if it gets this far.  I can even guarantee that it won't get this far anyway.  Woops, there goes the rattle, and the dummy, and the teddy, the rubber duck, the squeaky babbit and the teething ring.  mongoose the mongooseing lot o the mongooseing mongooseers.

Yup, got the odd spot there. That worked.:cc_confused:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted

Temperaturerose to 5c about an hour ago. Have just had a sharp shower of hail after  turning very dark currently 2c and the hail is lying.

Posted
3 hours ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

About an hour ago Stav on the BBC said there could be heavy snow in central and southern Scotland on Sunday

:angry:

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is that the hangover face? :p

My face this morning is much worse! The abv in an IPA over here is criminal LOL

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A sad day in the Scottish hills. A hillwalker has died and two others taken to hospital in the S. Uplands, there are casualties from an avalanche on Creag Meagaidh and Tim Newton and Rachel Slater remain missing on Ben Nevis.

Posted

Just looking at hills round the Firth this afternoon as I pulled  a tractor bucketful of fresh turnips for the wintering sheep you could see the bare ridges and some massive drifts after yesterdays gales. The hills will have scars of snow well into summer and potentially a lot of surviving snow patches until next winter.

On another subject the last holly tree with masses of berries on it was stripped in last few days.I was always intrigued that the birds would choose just one tree and then strip it. We have about  eight trees round the farm .       In the past few years a lot of these trees have retained their berries until the next summer.   This is the first year for a while that they have all been eaten in the winter.  Stocking up for a late spring!!!

Currently  1c wth ground freezing up under a starry sky.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, back home now and I find a couple of inches of snow in the back garden. Sure it's melted / compacted, but seems I missed one event while enjoying another in Carrbridge.

0.4 C and falling.

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Forth-Clyde streamer anyone? 

image.thumb.gif.af27d96d881dff5bc5554c0eimage.thumb.png.6b09c1f9ab4e9d78731e86b5

Well I was just thinking Great Glen streamer for tomorrow morning... as I head down to Oban for the day. Unfortunately the latest charts have lifted the snow line uphill somewhat so I could just be driving into sleet or drizzle or nothing at all.

1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Well I was just thinking Great Glen streamer for tomorrow morning... as I head down to Oban for the day. Unfortunately the latest charts have lifted the snow line uphill somewhat so I could just be driving into sleet or drizzle or nothing at all.

If you're involved it'll be mongooses all the way. 

Posted
32 minutes ago, M1245 said:

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the potential snowfall on Sunday?

Yeah steer clear of the Black Isle!

56c4dc2d3558f_naesnaw.thumb.jpg.d4421974

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, M1245 said:

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the potential snowfall on Sunday?

Given the charts on Monday had us at 11c on Sunday I don't have a mongooseing clue...cross model support though...will decide on Sunday if it's likely or not

27 minutes ago, edo said:

Given the charts on Monday had us at 11c on Sunday I don't have a mongooseing clue...cross model support though...will decide on Sunday if it's likely or not

Aye, it looked a bit like spring at one point. I wonder how long it will take before one of us starts using "mongoose", or a variant, in everyday chat? 

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

A min of -2.9C overnight. The graphics on the BBC this morning didn't look as good for snow on Sunday as they were showing yesterday with the weather front further south although Matt Taylor still said there was the chance of sleet and snow in Scotland and I'm sure the position of that weather front will continue to change between now and Sunday. But the temperatures that the met office and BBC are showing for Sunday (4-6C) aren't really conducive to snow but sometimes they do overestimate the temperatures a few days away.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

Morning all,

Frosty morning at -1.2c. Overnight low of -1.5c.

Posted

After bemoaning the arrival of the milder front, it ended up saving my ar*e as the heating packed in, fixed yesterday just in time for a return to colder temps. -4C this morning with a now slimmed down but complete snow cover of 3-4 inches. Plenty snow symbols and cold temps in the week ahead to hold interest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Cracking morning here in Aberdeenshire,-6 earlier.Nice clear skies,no wind and a lovely warm sun on my back as I exercise the dogs (no mud around either,bliss).

There's a fair bit of chatter on the MOD thread for the possibility of cold as we head through March.Anyone any thoughts on this for us in bonnie Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What @Standfree 1903 said, glorious morning. Overnight low was -5.5C with -4.9C at 8am so a good frost, which is now disappearing in the sun. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Standfree 1903 said:

Cracking morning here in Aberdeenshire,-6 earlier.Nice clear skies,no wind and a lovely warm sun on my back as I exercise the dogs (no mud around either,bliss).

There's a fair bit of chatter on the MOD thread for the possibility of cold as we head through March.Anyone any thoughts on this for us in bonnie Scotland.

My view on that is that if they are talking about 'cold', we might as well be talking of the next glaciation :D. Nah, pretty much always decent that it snows south of Manchester as that means we will not be suffering any marginality. Unless we have the situation of the elongated A on top of us sending cold straight down from the continent into Iberia aided by a L in the Gulf of Lyon (Marseille). That is some cool situation for Barcelona but definitely not for Scotland with uppers of 0C whereas most of Europe is chilling under -10C (Barca is lucky if it smells the -5C though). 

Back to reality and today I have woken up to another dusting of snow, second day in a row as well so I might be getting too treated for my own good haha. Low temp in school of -2.4 so cold cold, in reality it would have been around -4/-5. Then at 2.30am it clouded over, I reckon, and it stopped going down. We had three fleeting snow showers earlier on, still there's less than an inch on the ground. Bitterly cold at 0C right now. Winter is finally here! 

• Like 1