Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift
1 hour ago, doctormog said:

Can I ask your advice or recommendation for this Saturday please. We are wanting to go skiing this weekend (leaving from Aberdeen) and wonder, based on current or expected conditions, what the best place would be to head. My daughter has just had an intensive series of lessons on the dry slopes here but may be more confident than she is able! My son is relatively inexperienced too. Any advice about the best location (probably not Nevis or Glencoe for geographical reasons). :) I wondered bout the Lecht but wasn't sure about conditions.

Hoping for a few flurries here over the weekend but fear it may be of the melted snow variety..

If the snow conditions improve for the Lecht I would definitely go there.  It is perfect for beginners and children.  They have a magic carpet and chairlift making access easy and the poma tows are child friendly.  This weekend will be very busy at Cairngorm probably and Glenshee if the conditions improve.  The Lecht is just so much easier to manage with kids.  We used to opt for it when our boys were wee and they loved it, perfect for an Aberdeen start too.  Enjoy. I'm looking to four days (hopefully) at Nevis Range (snow dance in progress).

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Kind of in the same boat myself at the moment would like to get skiing this weekend but just not sure where. 

West seems best at the moment, well Glencoe anyway cos there seems to be a lack of reports from Nevis. From Aberdeen, to be realistic that involves making it a weekend trip, which adds expense. If conditions were great Wed probably go for that but I'm not convinced they are good enough to justify it. Western resorts don't have much snow forecast either so probably won't improve. 

Glenshee would be my preferred option, but as like last year it seems to be struggling to pick up the snow. If the forecast is right it might do better than the others for snow in the next few days. We can afford to wait and go on Monday, with the hope it's picked up more snow by then. 

As SS says, Lecht is great for beginners, gets going with less snowfall and never seems to have much in the way of queues even when the car park looks busy. If it picks up the same amount of snow as Glenshee in the next couple of days it might be the better option as it at least seems to have a base on the pistes currently. Best pre-book Ski Hire though if going as they can run out when busy. You can do that on the website the day before I think. 

Cairngorm has good beginners slopes up top, but it's a god awful place to be if it's windy and you are in the cloud. Gets slated a lot for lift queues and Ski hire used to be chaotic but that might have improved. Will probably be busy this weekend because of hols and the proximity to lots of accommodation in Aviemore. When fully open and quiet even it has the benefit that relative beginners can ski from top to bottom on one long run. 

Unless the wife finds a great accommodation deal in Ft William I think we'll probably wait and see what conditions are like by Monday and head to either Glenshee or Lecht if it looks worth it. Give me a winter where the only worry is if the resorts have managed to dig out the tows from the last storm. Beats this will we, won't we nonsense. 

Nevis Range is looking not too shabby at the moment, hoping for a few more showers before the weekend.

Posted

There is nothing shameless about that pic, isn't Scotland stunning in the snow.  I love my back yard!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We're in Glencoe (well sort of, actually near Kentallen) for a sneaky few days. Drove up earlier this evening and caught quite a heavy snow shower driving over Rannoch moor. It was quite short lived luckily, not keen on driving in snow, and doubly not keen on driving in snow over Rannoch moor. It was 0 degrees when we arrived at the cottage and sky looks clear.

• Like 2

Posted

Currently -0.7c here in Crail, so our first air frost in almost three weeks. Another nice day with good sunny spells. This week has comfortably been the best of the winter here.

• Like 5

Posted

Noticed today that some of the holly trees are finally losing their berries and birds are really attacking their feeders. I am a great believer in nature finding a balance even with the extreme weather we have been experiencing in the UK and after a very mild autumn and early winter my biggest concern for the farm has been another cold spring like last year especially if winds go round to north of west off a very cold North Atlantic. I might be wrong but I feel a cold spring is on the cards.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Great day here too sunny almost calm but cool with a maximum temperature of 4.8c currently 2.1c and falling

Setting sun highlighted in vivid pink some wintry showers on the northern horizon. Looks as if we will get an air frost tonight.

And the showers arrived overnight and we have 2 inches of slush with drizzle just now. Currently 0.5c. Horrible morning after such a nice day yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aviemore at the moment. Perfect for my drive up to Carrbridge today.

aviemore@2.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Got about 10cm overnight and snowing heavily as I left

image.thumb.jpg.b482ddfbe77417e7278b19d2

Snowy commute to Daviot (30mph crawl behind lorries)image.thumb.jpg.c4d49db6d10d961898d52f86

Snizzle/rain down in Inverness, so a different world above 200m as is often the case

• Like 8

Posted

Chilly morning in Crail, current temp -0.9c after an overnight low of -1.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow NS you really get some great snow....big surprise snowfall here just now...frost followed by rain and now heavy snow and lying 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

Got about 10cm overnight and snowing heavily as I left

Snowy commute to Daviot (30mph crawl behind lorries)

Snizzle/rain down in Inverness, so a different world above 200m as is often the case

I can confirm the different world - rain and at best slizzle on the coast - remnants of white mongooses above about 150m visible and a few cars that have obviously been parked at altitude.  Glad I had my long day out yesterday!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, edo said:

Wow NS you really get some great snow....big surprise snowfall here just now...frost followed by rain and now heavy snow and lying 

With all due respect edo  I don't think it's a surprise, the Euro4 has been on this for a day or more now. Still lovely though and not having a go bud :) 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Dry here this morning and 3.5C at 8am, light winds but cloudy. Hills to the west have a smattering of wet snow on them, as did some of the higher areas even towards the coast. Surprisingly the A96 at Tyrebagger had some signs that it'd been snowing there at some point overnight and that ain't exactly much higher than the surrounding areas.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Bonkers snow just now turned everything white in the space of ten minutes :)

Not surprised, there was even some wet snow falling at sea level here in St Andrews.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A brief soft hail shower now - also at sea level.  All is not lost.  About to pick up a new car - and guess what, it's fitted with summer tyres :wallbash:. Half-wits.

Just peeped at the charts... Topsy-turvy winter continues eh?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Hi @Ravelin all the hills round my part of Aberdeenshire are white,The tap 'o' the noth and the hills behind Leith hall have a covering.I had a mixture or sleet and rain all morning,I'd reckon the snow line starts around 700ft,my house sits at around 650ft :angry:.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We just had a 10mins worth of huge flakes but turned to rain now.   Next week or so should hold some interest for model watching though.1.6c/0.6c/W

aircam_pic.php.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Aye Edo we do very well, glad you saw some snow action too :) 

Looking at Inverness now that some of the showers/mist has cleared, snow is lying down to about 300ft so substantial parts of the city have some cover. Looking like a good few ice days ahead and the snow possibly pepping up again on Sunday in to Monday (mongoose free stuff as well HC!?) so this could be a decent wee spell. Beats 9C and rainy pash anyway 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Thought i would share this wonderful piece here, Love the sound of the Pipes it gives me the shivers.. :D And a time laps film of sights to behold over the Highlands.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 9