Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Traffic Scotland are reporting the Forth Road Bridge is closed to all vehicles. 

Just checking in from Stavanger.

The above was what I was worried about the morn. In fact when I crossed the 4RB north at maybe 11:00, the southbound lane was shut due do some sort of accident on the bridge. Maybe wind related. Traffic backed up a long way into fife.

Anyway, it was well windy in the central belt when I drove up but fine towards Aberdeen. However, by the time I flew out of Aberdeen at 16:00 the wind seemed to have picked up. Plane was a smallish / light turboprop and at 20% full, was all over the place as it took off. Quite a few nervous faces in the cabin!

Here in Stavanger it's damp, breezy and mildish. Typically scottish weather really.

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Your bin should be fine - probably be emptied in Norway though!:D

I'll post if I spot any.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

Just checking in from Stavanger.

The above was what I was worried about the morn. In fact when I crossed the 4RB north at maybe 11:00, the southbound lane was shut due do some sort of accident on the bridge. Maybe wind related. Traffic backed up a long way into fife.

Anyway, it was well windy in the central belt when I drove up but fine towards Aberdeen. However, by the time I flew out of Aberdeen at 16:00 the wind seemed to have picked up. Plane was a smallish / light turboprop and at 20% full, was all over the place as it took off. Quite a few nervous faces in the cabin!

Here in Stavanger it's damp, breezy and mildish. Typically scottish weather really.

Glad you're safely in Stavanger. Yes, people are uncomfortable with turbulence even when it can be expected. We LBA folk know all about it, and the number of times I have had the circulation to my hand cut off from stranger's grip or that of my OH...all I'm often wanting is the bag!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Wind rising now,not going to be a good night to sleep.     Currently 2.9c so windchill pretty high.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I'll post if I spot any.

You'll spot mine - paper covered in expletives and empty mouthwash bottles.

(Actually rather jealous - always wanted to visit Norway as their forests are similar/different to Scottish ones in interesting ways. Perhaps not quite how you described this afternoon's flight though....)

Wind's picking up a notch now.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Wheesht Henry, simmer down. I'm trying to watch the telly! Too many wind, structural and crashy bangy noises are making this evening's viewing rather difficult.  I've had to turn the telly up tae Malky:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Jut as well you will be flying back tomorrow SS!   don't think it would have been very pleasant tonight.  

Just have to wait and see if this storm picks up overnight as forecast.   4c/2.5c/WSW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

I think I might put my blue wheelie bin out in the street.  It's due for collection tomorrow so should be ok.

The Highland Council told everyone in Inverarnie just south of Inverness not to the worry that their bins weren't collected today as usual and just to leave them out overnight and they'll get them tomorrow! :D

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted

Wind really picking up here now. Really gusty out there. We're in a top floor flat so should be fun. Gertrude was the worst we've had this winter, wonder if Henry will top it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
26 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

120mph wind reported by a Gulfstream pilot approaching EDI at 3000ft.

Well if that's straight down the runway he could probably just about have managed a vertical landing. If it was a cross wind...even I'd be getting nervous. 

Wind sounding a little stronger outside at the moment but overall it's not been as windy as I'd expected. There were a few good bursts during the day, but long periods between that could be described as breezy at best between. Driving home from work you'd never have guessed we were in an Amber warning area, I've experienced much worse when no warnings were in place. Still, my bin is staying in the shelter of the back garden until the morning, several others have thiers out though (do some people not follow the weather, strange as that may seem?). 

Posted

My flight was in one of this type, so fairly small, light, and, at only 20% full, lighter than normal. They spread us evenly in the cabin before take off.

It was already swinging side to side like mad on take off from Aberdeen when the winds were just picking up. I found it exciting; others less so.:)

Wider%C3%B8e_LN-WDE_Q400.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

OK getting really quite bad here, gusting up to nearly 80mph now. 

Wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad? Reminding me of last January's storm which did a lot of damage in the area. 

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

OK getting really quite bad here, gusting up to nearly 80mph now. 

Here too. Slates not rattling yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Wind has died down considerably... Strangely.

Wheelie bin was sent flying at 11am for the record as the idiot i am thought i better remember to put it down. Then it fell again by 4pm and i am very sheltered from all sides here. It was feroiciously windy, although it has been worse before. So many storms, they all merge in your memory. 

My neighbour was remembering the time the roof of their caravan (they were building their current house back then) blew off. 'Oh yeah' i said. 'Remember when all the glass tiles shattered from the out buildings?' I said. 'Oh yes, i do' she said. Remember: 

The roof of the sheds blowing off

Tiles on the roof

chimneys breaking

windows smashing

the kennels shifting 10ft with the dogs inside

cars being damaged

etc etc etc.

As i said, they all merge into one...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Yeah, it's not great at all, feeling a bit too small in this one, starting to look around the house at where we can hide if this gets any worse.  Forget horrid, this Henry is horrendous.  Amazed the power has stayed on...stained glass window, that's me jinxed it.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Not too bad yet but still to peak.