Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

The wind is up and we've the occasional peppering of rain against the south facing windows this morning, a prelude to at least 5 days of very mobile weather. The weather station (pressure gradient change) alarm has already sounded twice today, and I have the feeling I might end up wanting to silence it by midweek :D

Edit ... beep, beep, beep, beep ..... again. Argghh !!

Edited by moffatross

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Much talk of a polar vortex on Friday/Saturday! This maybe similar to the storms that cut Arran off a few years back in March.

Posted
17 minutes ago, November13 said:

Much talk of a polar vortex on Friday/Saturday! This maybe similar to the storms that cut Arran off a few years back in March.

Is there?  There was a very brief mention yesterday, but that's gone now with the latest release of charts...

Posted

After a Saturday with temps varying from 4-7c and around three inches of ice still hanging on in water spots, yesterday was proper blowtorch. 14c whilst down at the Sled dogs and Loch Morlich had an almost autumnal feel to it 

image.thumb.jpg.388abc4e434b9e3b6f07237f

Snow showers remain in the local forecast for Wednesday onwards, which will mix things up but still hoping for something with more bite and plenty time remains between now and the end of March for this to take place 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, GraemeB said:

Is there?  There was a very brief mention yesterday, but that's gone now with the latest release of charts...

Yes it was yesterday the chat about this. It seems to have been downgraded to a northerly with potential snow!

Posted

This post from the model thread suggests GFS are currently suggesting a cold theme at the end of the week - whether the idea gets dropped or not in subsequent runs, who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Calm here now although still raining. And the builders have turned up! Can you believe it? Hammering going on just now. I know they won't finish tiling the roof today but even if they get something done that's a bonus! More pots and pans out to catch ever more drips coming through!

Posted
12 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

This post from the model thread suggests GFS are currently suggesting a cold theme at the end of the week - whether the idea gets dropped or not in subsequent runs, who knows.

The GFS, ECM & Met Office models have all suggested a transient cooling. Sleet & snow Friday into Saturday, rising temperatures & rain on Sunday, rinse and repeat. The best we can hope for out of the current phase is a transition to cool zonality as the jet stream creeps further south. As for the GFS, at the turn of its higher to lower res modelling (192+ hours), there's a broad high pressure straddling the Azores, Europe and reaching into Eurasia, and it looks kinda stuck from there into FI-land.

• Like 2

Posted

The brief colder spell Friday night to Sunday midday will be most welcome given this crap at the moment!

Posted

So the mildest bit of the week seems to have passed, bar Friday now colder air is coming in aided by a gentle breeze (30mph), temp down to 9.5 from 13C at 1pm. 

How cold will it get on Saturday/Sunday? The ground will be warm though...:(

Posted
2 hours ago, peborant said:

So the mildest bit of the week seems to have passed, bar Friday now colder air is coming in aided by a gentle breeze (30mph), temp down to 9.5 from 13C at 1pm. 

How cold will it get on Saturday/Sunday? The ground will be warm though...:(

Certainly a bit more seasonal now, temp was 12c here at noon, now 2.2c

Posted

Pib I think it's the cold uppers that will do the trick on Saturday. We had 6 days of sub zero last week and it rained due to the uppers being warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

3C at 5.30 tonight down from 11.5C this morning.  Dusting of snow back on the Nevis Range hills too, time to just sit back and see what happens.  I'm back to the LOTW Model (Looking out the window), it's accuracy will never be questioned by the MT crew, well unless the windows are dirty but I have I have factored in the skoosh and wipe factor to prevent any 'foggy' results.  Looking a wild one for tomorrow, hud oan te yir hats!

• Like 1

Hi, Like me I suspect a lot of weather enthusiasts out there, own and operate their own digital weather station. This is good fun and certainly helps us to understand our local weather. With wifi and the everywhere accessible internet, these home weather stations can link to many crowd weather sites such as Wunderground, the Scottish Weather Network and the Met Office WOW programme. Calibrating, re calibrating, and checking the accuracy of home weather stations is often missed out of the instruction manuals.

For those interested in making your observations as good as they can be, you may be interested in a lecture entitled “HOW TO MAKE YOUR WEATHER OBSERVATIONS AS GOOD AS THEY CAN BE” to be given by Dr. Geoff Jenkins OBE from the Met Office and who writes regular articles in the Weather Magazine about weather instruments. The lecture is being organised jointly by The Royal Meteorological Society and the University of the Highlands and Islands at their new Inverness College Campus. It’s a free event and everybody is welcome. There will be live video conferencing links to Perth College, Stornoway College and Thurso College. The date is the 10th of February at 7.00pm with tea and coffee at 6.30pm Hope to see you there

GaryJ

• Like 5

Posted

Gone from 14c this morning at 6.00am to 3.5c currently but still breezy .Very windy from the south  and dry most of the day until about 2.30pm when very heavy rain arrived. Quite a switch round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

we were at 15'C last night, back down to 4'C which is much more like it.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Gary J said:

There will be live video conferencing links to Perth College, Stornoway College and Thurso College. The date is the 10th of February at 7.00pm with tea and coffee at 6.30pm Hope to see you there

GaryJ

Do you need to pre-register or just turn up on the night? Date in diary - anyone else going along?

Posted

School reading 5.2, sensor has been dusted out and is now reading 3.2 which is more like it, like you guys say. Impressive temp drop as well, very pungent. 

Glad to see Scotland is cooling off thoroughly but sad to think we have a good lashing of rain on the way tomorrow and another one on Wednesday! 

EDIT at 20.53: right so that was it in terms of dropping temps, sensor bounced back to 4.1 and skies are getting cloudy again. School touched 5C, now 5.1C. 

Edited by peborant

Posted
23 hours ago, Paul said:

We're looking at organising a regional social meet up in Scotland this year, so as an initial thing I'd like to gauge if there's any interest. If it's something you think you may want to come along to, maybe speediest way to register an interest will be to 'like' this post. We can then take it from there!

Looks like there's a fair amount of interest then, which is great to know. Will start the ball rolling...

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Looks like there's a fair amount of interest then, which is great to know. Will start the ball rolling...

Depending if it goes ahead and where so forth. Might be interested. Can count me as interested

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
14 minutes ago, NUT said:

Depending if it goes ahead and where so forth. Might be interested. Can count me as interested

I think you need to say what you have in mind before going much further...  When, where, how much free beer, etc., would help us to say yay or nay.

edit: Sorry NUT, I meant to answer Paul's post with this :fool:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I think you need to say what you have in mind before going much further...  When, where, how much free beer, etc., would help us to say yay or nay.

edit: Sorry NUT, I meant to answer Paul's post with this :fool:

I gathered ;) No biggie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I will be honest if I tell the wife I'm going away a weekend as meeting up with a load of Internet friends I met on a weather site she will either think I've lost my marbles or I'm up to no good....it's a no for me..:nonono:

I look fwd to all the crazy tales though weekend at HC's is the new weekend at bernie's 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
36 minutes ago, edo said:

I will be honest if I tell the wife I'm going away a weekend as meeting up with a load of Internet friends I met on a weather site she will either think I've lost my marbles or I'm up to no good....it's a no for me..:nonono:

I look fwd to all the crazy tales though weekend at HC's is the new weekend at bernie's 

Christ you don't want to come here - the Highlands Snowless Capital.  I'd have thought a pished up snowball fight would be part of it?

Surely though for all of us, location is key due to time constraints.  I've spent this evening doing timings of various tasks for a tender and it makes me realise what a slave I am to the clock.  Who invented the sodding things?