Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Got 4.6cm here in Grangemouth. That is very good for here. I was working from 2pm to 10pm so missed most of the action. Had a max of -0.3C which is the joint coldest day of the winter along with a Sunday in December. The drive home was the first time I've driven on relatively deep snow after passing my test in the summer of 2013.

Posted

6cm of snow for me yesterday which was better than I expected and no melting although temperature has crept up to just above freezing 0.5c/-0.4c.

Today for me it's a case of keeping an eye on the radar to the south west of England to see how far north and how intense the rainfall is.

The challenge today is that precipitation north of the border looks light and the colder uppers have moved away temporarily so I am not expecting much in the way of snow, if any.

On the plus side embedded cold is better due to more snow on the ground than previously forecast so you never know.

The forecast from the models this morning still looks as though the Atlantic milder air will win out Thursday/Friday although GFS looks like there could be a bit of snow from this and I like the GEM as it's not as progressive as the other models, it's got it pretty close over the last couple of weeks and continues to be less jumpy than the other models.

Edited by Blizzardo
amended

Posted

Morning all,

Overnight low -1c. Currently +1.5c here in Crail, -2c at Leuchars.

Met Office forecast has some drizzle for us east coasters tonight/tomorrow, so there's that to look forward to! 

I'm considering hiring a large van, driving west, filling it with snow, coming back and distributing it around the garden to end the snow drought. Having said that the Crail snow shield would probably cause the van to break down before I made it back. ;-)

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Temperature - 3.3C outside currently with an overnight low of - 6.4C, by far the lowest of this winter here, that I've noticed anyway. Be interesting to see if we manage an ice day. Forecast for now is -1C so we're running a couple of degrees below that, and the forecast high is 2C so you never know. 

No snow of course, otherwise similar to the last couple of mornings ie broken high cloud and light winds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Pram now empty of toys. Yesterday a mere flurry of the white stuff followed by light rain. Temp hardly got above 2c. House is like an icebox as no central heating! Builders are in after Frankie's visit and radiators have been removed in some rooms. Stove on in kitchen, going like a wee train, fire on in sitting room, tiny fan heater for anywhere else. Cloudy and cold this morning currently 3.4c. Not expecting any more white stuff so shouldn't be too disappointed today! Stay warm folks!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted

Bit too much rain in the forecast for later for my liking! Backed up by Euro4 and NMM for my area. A case of wait and see...

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Wait and see indeed. Yr.no are forecasting snow with temperatures hovering around 0C which seems pretty sensible considering that lying snow might help us for that. Temperatures are there at the minute, with 0.5C sensor and 1.5C school, but low dewpoint ensures that snow is keeping really well. Cloudy but relatively luminous skies aided by 3-4cm of snow pastied everywhere (bar middle of roads). 

The most important thing is that ppn is on its way. Cold air is still very plentiful so we will probably scrap quite a few more cm's worth of a top-up, the higher up you are the better of course but I presume that even Edinburgh could get an inch if situation is wrongly forecast again. That has certainly become the rule as of late. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Noticed that.     Temps have fallen slightly here and are back down to freezing, which, if they level out at that, would help preserve what we have.

Is that the expected front showing currently on the radar?   Doesn't look all that strong yet, so we would need it to pep up a bit  - (a lot even.)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Temp is picking up from where it was yesterday, I just can't see the cold holding on enough to produce snow later on.  Having said that, one of the biggest snow events in Stirling that I can remember, came from a very similar set up to what we've currently got...maybe temps were a bit lower, but not that much.

YerWindae for tonight I think.

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office Warning issued:

DatesWarningChief Forecaster's assessmentWeather Impact Matrix

Issued at:
1130 on Sun 17 Jan 2016

Valid from:
2300 on Sun 17 Jan 2016

Valid to:
1000 on Mon 18 Jan 2016

A mixture of sleet and snow will gradually spread eastwards overnight on Sunday, before easing during Monday morning. This is expected to lead to further accumulations of snow in places, with 1 to 3 cm quite widely, and 4 to 8 cm in some places, particularly over higher ground. Ice will be an additional hazard in some areas, especially where sleet falls onto sub-zero surfaces. Please be aware of the potential for difficult winter driving conditions.

A complex set of frontal systems will push areas of precipitation into Scotland late on Sunday evening, this easing again on Monday morning. It will be worth keeping up to date in case of changes in the expected extent of heavier snowfall.

Local Authorities affected and associated warning levels

Argyll and Bute, West Dunbartonshire, East Dunbartons

• Like 3

Posted

Yesterday's light cover is disappearing pretty rapidly where exposed to the sun. Temp on the way up too. 

Posted

Wonder if that frontal system heading in our direction and currently over Ireland will reach here or fizzle out to a band of cloud due to the high pressure?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still a good covering of snow here, not much thawing going on and 0 degrees according to the car.

Posted

Hi All!

I'm a long time reader of this forum although not much of a poster.

Great to see so many of us get some snow over the weekend. Here in Prestonpans we have been pretty unlucky. No lying snow all Winter despite other parts of East Lothian receiving a few coverings. Got a slight dusting yesterday but were too far East and missed the heaviest of the precipitation, typical! Still, the seasonal weather is definitely a bonus! 

On another note, I am heading up to the Glen Clova area this weekend and have been hoping there would be snow but it's not looking good! Do any of you know the area at all? I've never been and was wondering if there are walks in the area that go up to a decent height where it's likely there would be snow on the ground even if there's none in Glen Clova itself. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks :) 

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, Snowman09 said:

On another note, I am heading up to the Glen Clova area this weekend and have been hoping there would be snow but it's not looking good! Do any of you know the area at all? I've never been and was wondering if there are walks in the area that go up to a decent height where it's likely there would be snow on the ground even if there's none in Glen Clova itself. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks :) 

You could walk up to Loch Brandy - it's a beautiful loch which sits in a corrie at just over 600m above sea level on the east side of the glen, starting at the Glen Clova Hotel.  It's a steep climb but on a good well-constructed path (unless the lower slopes are obliterated by snow!)   The route details and some photos are in the link below. I would still make sure you have a map though and check the MWIS forecast for mountain weather before setting off.   Not sure if you'll be guaranteed snow there as it appears to be becoming milder towards the end of the week - from info online it appears there is currently full snow cover at that level though.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/loch-brandy.shtml

I wouldn't recommend going up onto the plateau above (Ben Tirran area) unless you have well-practised navigation skills and winter hillwalking experience as it is a vast rather featureless plateau with great potential to get yourself into difficulties in winter!  It was still snow-covered in early May 2012 when I visited the loch and continued on to Ben Tirran.

There are some other walks in the area amongst these too (Corrie Fee also has some stupendous scenery):

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/angus-glens.shtml

Link to MWIS forecast for East Highlands (updated daily) is here;

http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/EH/

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

You could walk up to Loch Brandy - it's a beautiful loch which sits in a corrie at just over 600m above sea level on the east side of the glen, starting at the Glen Clova Hotel.  It's a steep climb but on a good well-constructed path (unless the lower slopes are obliterated by snow!)   The route details and some photos are in the link below. I would still make sure you have a map though and check the MWIS forecast for mountain weather before setting off.   Not sure if you'll be guaranteed snow there as it appears to be becoming milder towards the end of the week - from info online it appears there is currently full snow cover at that level though.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/loch-brandy.shtml

I wouldn't recommend going up onto the plateau above (Ben Tirran area) unless you have well-practised navigation skills and winter hillwalking experience as it is a vast rather featureless plateau with great potential to get yourself into difficulties in winter!  It was still snow-covered in early May 2012 when I visited the loch and continued on to Ben Tirran.

There are some other walks in the area amongst these too (Corrie Fee also has some stupendous scenery):

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/angus-glens.shtml

Link to MWIS forecast for East Highlands (updated daily) is here;

http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/EH/

Hi, 

Thanks very much for the information! I would be hopeful some snow cover could be retained up there at 600m but as you say it depends how mild the weather becomes. Fingers crossed the breakdown continues to be delayed, at least till after next weekend. 

I will take a look at those links and bear your suggestions in mind for our trip, a visit to the loch sounds like a great idea!