Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

I'll definitely be giving a lot more credence to the HIRLAM model in the future as it appears to have outdone the Euro4 on this occasion. The NAE was conservative and didn't model the eastern advance well, and Arpege wasn't a lot better. The GFS high res was just hopeless. The Moffat look up at yr.no (which I think is based on the ECM) also called the event very well though unfortunately for me, it only offers data and doesn't offer up the nice wee maps that I like to mouse-over.

Approaching 2 inches of fresh powder here :-)

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
37 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Probably about the same here, not much more than an inch, but it's still snowing steadily and pepping up in intensity from time to time. I noticed that Kercoobrie was getting hammered, the Galloway Hills are already loaded and the thought of a wee ski tour over there is quite appealing :-)

*Kirkcudbright :nonono:haha

over an inch here at least. 

High was -1.2c at 3pm. Now -1.7c and falling.... Still the snow falls.

Roads are a joke. The council might be skint but it's ridiculous. Go on the M74 via the Dalveen pass. A joke bad and then you hit 'south lanarkshire' council and roads are clear and gritted...

haven't been that way today but i'd put my house in it.

honestly only the bypass is gritted, every other road is white. Cars skidding everywhere... About 1 inch of snow and it's pandemonium although luckily being a Saturday it is very quiet.

rant over. I realise Dumfries is fairly mild but snow isn't rare and we can get a lot from 'sliders' etc. The council are always hideously ill-prepared 

image.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

2cm still fairly heavy a few hours left in this so should have 4cm by the end.

DSC_0019.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

No snow in Inverness :(

But I'm in Glasgow today! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

must be just too far south for here...looks like missing a decent event.....great so many have it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Cant't believe my luck in being in Glasgow today - best snowfall I've seen since 2010/11:cold::D (Not sure how it's not an orange warning and the general model failure is a bit concerning but SNOW!!!)

20160116_152741.jpg

20160116_152726.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Well done Glaschu! 

Yet again most if not all models have failed to forecast the extent and the timing of this impressive snowfall which has produced an inch of lying snow in Dollarrr :D Nothing marginal temperature wise, with the sensor reading -1.5 and school -0.6.

This is snow FREEZING on impact as well for a change haha

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, peborant said:

Well done Glaschu! 

Yet again most if not all models have failed to forecast the extent and the timing of this impressive snowfall which has produced an inch of lying snow in Dollarrr :D Nothing marginal temperature wise, with the sensor reading -1.5 and school -0.6.

This is snow FREEZING on impact as well for a change haha

Almost an inch here too now :D Absolutely delighted! 

Been moderate-heavy snow for almost an hour but looks to be calming down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Heavy in Newmills near Culross now and considering we are right on the coast, I think we are doing well. Didn't think the front woukd come this far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Beautiful day here in Narnia, Icy cold to start the day then the best slow motion snowfall all afternoon. Not a breath of wind, snow lazily making it's way to the ground. Brilliant. 

snaw.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Snowing steadily here.  Not very forcefully, but we have got a covering adding to Wednesday's fall and it should freeze, :) so I am well chuffed.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Really surprised at how much snow there is so it seems I'm in the same boat as everyone else. It's still snowing now. Tomorrow is expected to be dry and then another front coming in on Monday but I wonder if it will be snow or rain. I'll post updates here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Not done too badly here in East Kilbride.  .

941043_1201387009889114_9041788110710820593_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Surprisingly larger dump here than I thought (even if the timing's we're slightly wrong) Probably our best dump since last Janurary

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Well it had been a fantastic day here for snow and it's still going! Surprised it wasn't better anticipated 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

So the front has even made it as far as Edinburgh - who would have thought?! Had a sneaking suspicion yesterday that it would get a lot further east than the GFS or Euro4 suggested. The HIRLAM model has definitely performed the best today. Very surprised there wasn't even a yellow warning issued for areas further east when it became clear this morning that the front wasn't behaving as modelled. Probably warranted an amber warning in areas near Glasgow too! We even had problems with power cuts a couple of hours ago - not sure if weather-related but a lot of people in the area were having issues. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just checked the Met Office warning. Anyone spot what's wrong with this commentary for Dumfries and Galloway, West Lothian, Scottish Borders...

Outbreaks of snow spreading southeastwards from western Scotland into northwest England on Saturday afternoon will then reach the Midlands and parts of southern England during Saturday evening and night.

:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Just checked the Met Office warning. Anyone spot what's wrong with this commentary for Dumfries and Galloway, West Lothian, Scottish Borders...

Outbreaks of snow spreading southeastwards from western Scotland into northwest England on Saturday afternoon will then reach the Midlands and parts of southern England during Saturday evening and night.

:wallbash:

im surprised on the sheer amount of snow.....was taping off but its back on heavy

lorenzo how long would it be lasting over us?