Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Got it wrong yesterday and last night no faith in forecasts now.we should have snow now but hee haw.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

-2.2c the low here last night, that's chilly for Crail.

Looking forward to more blue skies and sunshine today and over the weekend. Such a relief after weeks of dreich.

Posted

Just come in and it appears that more snow inbound off the Firth. Radar confirms this   currently 0.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Icy and snowy pretty much sums it up❄️

Whats this with a possible surprise snowfall Saturday night into Sunday? 

Posted

Radar shows a large shower heading in this direction...hopefully it maintains current trajectory and doesn't fizzle out too much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 minutes ago, Altostratus said:

Radar shows a large shower heading in this direction...hopefully it maintains current trajectory and doesn't fizzle out too much.

Forecast as rain, but we can hope it's wrong. 

Currently 1.4C here so not as cold as yesterday morning, yet we have a much more obvious frost. Sky mainly clear again, with just a few light clouds. 

Posted

No idea what happened yesterday there was a big anvil with wispy tops building from the west and was getting closer and closer, to me it seemed a dead cert as it the sky was black, and it was building over a couple of hours, snow started coming on about half 4 here in Paisley then nothing, just fizzled out? There was a dusting when I got back home in Port, although only when I started gaining height. It looked like big flakes had started falling then stopped after about 5 mins. There was a few short showers till about 9 then it stopped and night was sparkling clear and bitter cold.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Forecast as rain, but we can hope it's wrong. 

Currently 1.4C here so not as cold as yesterday morning, yet we have a much more obvious frost. Sky mainly clear again, with just a few light clouds. 

Yup temperatures aren't great (haven't checked dew points but presume they are sub zero) but with light winds and heavy bursts, hopefully some evaporative cooling can swing the balance in our favour.

Posted

A few pix from a ski tour last night starting from Leadhills and taking in Green Lowther. It was brutally cold on the Lowther Hills ridge in the near gale NW'ly and we didn't get off the hill until 12.45 am but it was a great wee headtorch skiing adventure.

24096236870_f922eac83f_h.jpg24309362571_7fe5af6890_h.jpg24309328991_60622c23bc_h.jpg24309306291_7c7b947b66_h.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just come in and it appears that more snow inbound off the Firth. Radar confirms this   currently 0.2c

Well we have some damper  light snow falling at 1c. Sticking on ground very well as there is a reasonable depth of frost with any puddles having more than  two 2 inch thick ice on them yesterday. So we may have snow cover in the usual shaded areas for some time.

• Like 1

Posted

Aye working at home today NS so get to watch proceedings, been snowing for the last 40 mins topping up the snow cover, as of yet we are still to have as much as we got in some December falls though, although certainly managed our coldest lows of the winter so far during this spell and everything firmly frozen solid. Currently -0.5C

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
2 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Latest models show a snow event for most of scotland tomorrow night

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYvkL0jWMAAjLOD.png:large

Latest BBC forecast showed it moving in on Saturday evening but offered no real detail. By Sunday morning though it looked like a really weak affair so who knows what'll happen! It's on all the major models but the way things have been going the band is as likely to hit the Faroes as the Central Belt. After Wednesdays nonsense I'm not getting too excited by any forecast or ppn model! A case of wait and see...

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Latest BBC forecast showed it moving in on Saturday evening but offered no real detail. By Sunday morning though it looked like a really weak affair so who knows what'll happen! It's on all the major models but the way things have been going the band is as likely to hit the Faroes as the Central Belt. After Wednesdays nonsense I'm not getting too excited by any forecast or ppn model! A case of wait and see...

The current Met Office automated forecast looks really very good for parts of the South of Scotland snow Saturday night into Sunday. They appear to base their automated modelling on the Euro4 but while last night it projected 6 hours of light snow with a 40% precip probability for Moffat, it's now showing 7-9 hours of heavy snow at a 70% probability. And nothing marginal about it in those sub zero temps either ... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcvdc9ryg#?fcTime=1452902400

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like the same prospect for the Central belt as well. Will wait and see how far it gets East, but with the base we currently have it will great if it does transpire.

Posted

Still brick cold outside. Clouds clearing again (was a little cloudy earlier)  Tomorrow night going to be fascinating now

Posted
15 minutes ago, NUT said:

Still brick cold outside. Clouds clearing again (was a little cloudy earlier)  Tomorrow night going to be fascinating frustrating as hell now

Fixed that for you :-D

• Like 3

Posted

What's all this talk about snow tomorrow night? I thought that high pressure was set to dominate during the weekend killing off any frontal activity?

It's a very gorgeous sunny, cold icy day here today. I wasn't expecting anything at all today in terms of snow but we could see a few flakes at times, we're not going to get snowed in though. Defo a day for keeping a tenth of an eye on the radar :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Personally I've had enough of trying to decipher what could happen.  I don't think anyone can honestly predict what/if anything, is going to materialise yet.   Probably go down to the wire.   So, I have decided to turn to the tried and tested method of looking out of the window over the weekend.    Hopefully I will be able to say "Oh look, it's snowing!":D

Loving these clear blue skies and freezing temps though.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Euro4 looks not bad...

16011618_1506.thumb.gif.802d62578224bf3716011700_1506.thumb.gif.baed202d5aff360b16011703_1506.thumb.gif.3d5e6599dce4891b

The latest GFS doesn't look to good...

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.4b3fc6b2255bc2d

I think we will just have to keep an eye on the radar closer to the time to see what is going to happen.

• Like 2