Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
33 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Bunch of masochists... Myself included! :)

Jeez Mr SWS, have you had to sell your last shirt??

Just had an abortive trip north (sodding stag leapt out of the ditch into the front of the car) which was very uninspiring weather-wise apart from some interesting thin wispy fog just now getting back to the Black Isle.

I also forgot to mention that Ms HC reported that the burn running down the Fairy Glen above Rosemarkie this morning was as full as she's ever seen it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Jeez Mr SWS, have you had to sell your last shirt??

Just had an abortive trip north (sodding stag leapt out of the ditch into the front of the car) which was very uninspiring weather-wise apart from some interesting thin wispy fog just now getting back to the Black Isle.

I also forgot to mention that Ms HC reported that the burn running down the Fairy Glen above Rosemarkie this morning was as full as she's ever seen it.

Yeah, mate. Was walking out the gym recently and i couldn't find my shirt so i just posed for a photo. 

I guess i look ok in it.... ;)

My abs could do with a little more definition but maybe i'm being picky... Idk

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
4 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Yeah, mate. Was walking out the gym recently and i couldn't find my shirt so i just posed for a photo. 

I guess i look ok in it.... ;)

My abs could do with a little more definition but maybe i'm being picky... Idk

Tut. Stick to the weather or I'll be forced to expose my flabby torso.  Young HC was commenting earlier how all his clothes are too small now - silly boy's like you with bulging bits all over the place, but he's handy to have around for axe duties...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

School bus driver was saying black ice is a problem locally here this morning. 

Quite a few cars slipping apparently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
7 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Tut. Stick to the weather or I'll be forced to expose my flabby torso.  Young HC was commenting earlier how all his clothes are too small now - silly boy's like you with bulging bits all over the place, but he's handy to have around for axe duties...

Haha....

i do hope you realise (as much as it pains me to admit it) i am not that man.... (Cries)

suppose i should post something on topic.....

pouring with rain as per usual

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just had an abortive trip north (sodding stag leapt out of the ditch into the front of the car)

Venison for sale? Well something has to pay for the repair bill.

Cool and dry here this morning, with the sun making hints that it might put in an appearance. Thought there might have been a frost, but there wasn't.

Working from home today due to one slightly sick child and school 'infection control' rules. Had to make an early dash into work and back to pick up some stuff and roads are much improved this morning. Even yesterday they were still quite bad in places with flooding. That's not to say they are perfect today, still some bits with a lot of standing water, one especially on the way out of the village that is deep but passable if you stick to the shallower bit.

Posted

Morning everyone!

On reflection, the last few (first) days of the year have seen a progressive normalisation of sorts, averaging 4.4C. Ppn still trending above average, with 87mm so far in 8 out of 11 days although that might change if we catch a shower or two later. 3 air frosts, which again is more in line with the average of 12-17, also there are no 'borderline' actual air frost days (when rooftop might not fall under 2 but you actually dip to -0. or below). 1.3 yesterday, yes, but whilst a sleet shower and as soon as it stopped temp went up again. 

I feel the weather hasn't delivered properly so far for this wee county of Scotland, even though you'd think that with the Ochils and that it would do better. The'Ochs probably do much better on more eastern and northern slopes, which is easy to see on a day out. Still in my humbly un-snowy daily reality, both in Barcelona and Liverpool-Manchester, Dollar is the best I've ever had on a daily basis so I can hardly complain. As we speak I can see the top of the King's Seat sporting a healthy cover of snow. 

Attached is a pic of the sort of day coldies live for, especially when inhabiting Barcelona's metro area. I was on the lilac spot. 24h's worth of snow in higher places, probably 8-9 in lower areas of Barcelona. Still the beach recorded lying snow. The town where my mum lives is thankfully at 300m asl so we did really well compared to some other lower-lying areas like my uni, 10mi down at 120m. It took me two hours to get home though, the whole public transport system was falling to pieces at around 12pm and collapsed at 15pm. Lucky that I did get home nonetheless as the storm got much freakier at 14pm or so and it just belted down for the best part of three hours. It was like one of our storms but with snow and temperatures that fell as much as -2 with heavy ppn. 

Overnight the white stuff melted in towns and cities of metro, but there were snow patches going in rural places for a week after that as well as the tops of the hills (1100m / 1700m) that we can see from some areas outside BCN city. Got a day off uni (yay!) and had the best time ever with pals at the 'parc/parque'. 

As you can see though the inner lower parts of Catalunya and indeed Aragon to our west did not get any ppn out of the low pressure system, the border of it drawing very neatly on the chart. For the central depression and the Ebro valley it was another cold day with dry NW's that the river canalises (the infamous mestral that ravages trees and stuff on a usual basis.) Down there anyway in winter it's either that or thick fog for weeks, which is when they record max of 0-2, sometimes lower than that. 

8th March 2010, a day to remember. 

nevada 2010.jpg

parc.jpg

hdhd.jpg

freak snow.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Bad black ice in the borders the morn confirmed. Our back road looked friendly at a glance; nice and black. However, a sheet of ice at points.

Soutra was carnage. Yesterdays mix of sleet and wet snaw frozen solid. 2 cars and a farmer 4x4 off the road in various smashed up conditions as result. Nasty stuff.

Salt not much help in such situations as if you put it down while its still raining / water running off the road it just gets washed away. Looks like that's what happened as the gritters were out in force trying to de-ice but still very bad.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
37 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Venison for sale? Well something has to pay for the repair bill.

Unfortunately not, it was a hit and run by the deer, leaving me and car with a cloud of steam and a heap of broken plastic and bent metal.  One tough stag - which probably means he would have been a bit of a slow cooker too...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Maybe its a sign of how hard it is to forecast at the moment that the monthly outlook that gets updated at 10am on the bbc website has still to be updated, procrastination maybe :)

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Models still flipping but the birds going crazy for my nuts so Im happy with that....the cold is coming 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good afternoon everyone,

As a "softy southener" from Essex I am flying up to Edinburgh for a 3 day break with my wife from Stansted tomorrow morning. I am feeling very snow starved as it must be at least a couple of years since I have seen a covering on the ground. What is it currently like in Edinburgh? Is there any snow settled on the ground or more to the point is there likely to be any before we return home Friday morning. 

Knowing my luck it will not snow during my visit, but will do so back home.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
23 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Good afternoon everyone,

As a "softy southener" from Essex I am flying up to Edinburgh for a 3 day break with my wife from Stansted tomorrow morning. I am feeling very snow starved as it must be at least a couple of years since I have seen a covering on the ground. What is it currently like in Edinburgh? Is there any snow settled on the ground or more to the point is there likely to be any before we return home Friday morning. 

Knowing my luck it will not snow during my visit, but will do so back home.

Kind Regards

Dave

Edinburgh isn't great for snow I'm afraid. We got a few periods of wet snow over the weekend but nothing lying in or around the city - even the higher parts. Snow in Edinburgh is generally a case of wait and see. The higher areas of the city can do OK sometimes but for the city center and low lying areas you really need everything to align perfectly! Who knows what the rest of the week will bring but you're certainly coming up at a time when there is at least some interest. If nothing else it's looking pretty dry with a good deal of sunshine - 2 things that have been in very short supply the past few months!!!!

There's snow just now though on the Pentland Hills which are just on the edge of Edinburgh and are very easily accessible by bus from the city center if you like hill walking:

pentland_hills.jpg?1452514433732

Stunning views of the city from various points as well. Given the weather this week you might be lucky and the hills keep their current cover. You can always check the webcam before heading out:

http://www.eastsidecottages.co.uk/webcam/

Here's the various bus options explained - best bet for snow cover is probably Hillend or Flotterstone but Harlaw has an easy route up to some higher hills:

http://www.pentlandhills.org/pentlandhills/download/downloads/id/88/how_to_get_to_the_pentland_hills_by_bus.pdf

Most of the buses will be under 45mins to get you out to the starting points - maybe less depending on the time of day. 

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edo said:

Models still flipping but the birds going crazy for my nuts so Im happy with that....the cold is coming 

The birds are going crazy for the wife's nuts here. 

Big differences between the GFS and ECM 500mb means at 8 to 10 days: 

image.thumb.gif.f406bee6e9dfe81e53b3c43f

So who knows what's going to happen? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Edinburgh isn't great for snow I'm afraid. We got a few periods of wet snow over the weekend but nothing lying in or around the city - even the higher parts. Snow in Edinburgh is generally a case of wait and see. The higher areas of the city can do OK sometimes but for the city center and low lying areas you really need everything to align perfectly! Who knows what the rest of the week will bring but you're certainly coming up at a time when there is at least some interest. If nothing else it's looking pretty dry with a good deal of sunshine - 2 things that have been in very short supply the past few months!!!!

There's snow just now though on the Pentland Hills which are just on the edge of Edinburgh and are very easily accessible by bus from the city center if you like hill walking:

pentland_hills.jpg?1452514433732

Stunning views of the city from various points as well. Given the weather this week you might be lucky and the hills keep their current cover. You can always check the webcam before heading out:

http://www.eastsidecottages.co.uk/webcam/

Here's the various bus options explained - best bet for snow cover is probably Hillend or Flotterstone but Harlaw has an easy route up to some higher hills:

http://www.pentlandhills.org/pentlandhills/download/downloads/id/88/how_to_get_to_the_pentland_hills_by_bus.pdf

Most of the buses will be under 45mins to get you out to the starting points - maybe less depending on the time of day. 

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay.

Thanks for your very informative post, which is much appreciated. We will definitely be taking our walking boots with us.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

A  very miserable day here with moderate rain ,very dark and currently 2.9c .We have however a very thin  strip   of blue sky to the east with what appears to be an old fashioned arctic sky clearence with snow showers highlighted pink  by the setting sun over the North Sea.

Just feeding and bedding cattle today fields are saturated. Hope we get some frost tonight to dry things up.

Birds here also devouring the feeders today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Rain yesterday, rain today! I'm not that disappointed as I wasn't expecting any snow anyway, but the frosty day we had on Saturday was lovely! More please!

• Like 1

Posted

Chance of a few flakes tonight in Midlothian?? Clouding over a bit just now...however radar looks uninspiring...

checks window, and indeed a few are falling!

Edited by dragan

Posted

Heavy cold rain here all afternoon, currently at 3.5C (according to the thermometer in the hire car) or 2C (according to the probe on the solar panels). I know which I believe. Car hire broke down on the way home. Think I'd like to rewind a few months...

I am at work just now so can't post charts due to a lack of time. However, there's a risk in a lot of places of either heavy rain or heavy snow tomorrow. The Euro4 is very pink and blue at times. Precip totals in the NE look worrying considering how wet it has been. 40-50mm not good!! Met-O all over it like a rash? Nope. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I am at work just now so can't post charts due to a lack of time. However, there's a risk in a lot of places of either heavy rain or heavy snow tomorrow. The Euro4 is very pink and blue at times. Precip totals in the NE look worrying considering how wet it has been. 40-50mm not good!! Met-O all over it like a rash? Nope. 

Aye. For example this could be one of those evening commutes where people get stuck up Soutra (A68) or on Middleton moor (A7).

16011218_1112.gif

:diablo: