Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Enjoying the updates and pics :) 

Well no snow here yet but we're certainly frosty. Currently -3C and it looks like we're heading for the coldest temperatures of the winter so far tonight

• Like 2

Posted

Snow heading towards the central belt with no weather warning at rush hour, game on....:oops:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The snow is an illusion...................... I have just been in the MT and there is no possible way it can be snowing as the continual downgrades happen.....UKMO backtracking to the GFS and toys are oot ra pram................from a Scottish perspective it looks better to me with colder uppers and more favourable feeds for us.........

however warning I am not great at the models so hopefully have some more expert input from others......that's unless you are all out playing in snow :)

dry here and not feeling particularly cold but hope to see the weather station showing favourable temps later and cross my fingers a little shower makes it to here

nice to see the sun today and now been dry since 5pm last night

• Like 3

Posted

We got a couple of inches of moist snow here at Moffat and it'll still be lying by the morning so I reckon that's 3 snow days so far this winter, maybe 4, but they've all been pretty unconvincing.

As for the deep freeze, the 12Z GFS has warm air welling up from the Azores before next weekend, and the -8 850 contour barely gets south of the Scottish border and only stays with us for about a day. The MO threads here and over at TWO are going in a rather predictable direction.

• Like 1

Posted

Utter carnage here currently stuck in the snow in Newmilns. Was not expecting this. First route closed by accident. image.thumb.jpg.bdabb5abeb2f8e1499ac8dda

Managed to turn back and get half way home but stuck now. 

image.thumb.jpg.98f0c8d5a7aaf20e6f97f2c7

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, edo said:

The snow is an illusion...................... I have just been in the MT and there is no possible way it can be snowing as the continual downgrades happen.....UKMO backtracking to the GFS and toys are oot ra pram................from a Scottish perspective it looks better to me with colder uppers and more favourable feeds for us.........

aye just been in there for a bit mate, smashed the record for blocking a poster for being a WUM. then laughed at other responses.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Kayemill said:

Utter carnage here currently stuck in the snow in Newmilns. Was not expecting this. First route closed by accident. 

Vehicles without winter tyres shouldn't be allowed on the road between November and March.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

lol it is rather a perverse way of having fun but fun never the less....

As Moffatross pointed out though whilst it looks like small upgrades for us in the short term  not a great run for longevity of cold compared to what was showing.....still plenty of room for optimism and improvements....just hope a lot of us get something from this spell and plenty already getting a wee bonus

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Utter carnage here currently stuck in the snow in Newmilns. Was not expecting this. First route closed by accident. image.thumb.jpg.bdabb5abeb2f8e1499ac8dda

image.thumb.jpg.98f0c8d5a7aaf20e6f97f2c7

have a safe journey home.

• Like 1

Posted

What are the chances to get some snaw north of the Forth? 

Glad to see some of you have done so well. 

Current temp 1,2 on the rooftop of the academy but my garden sensor reading -1 so no doubt which one of the readings I am settling down for :rofl:

Posted
14 minutes ago, edo said:

lol it is rather a perverse way of having fun but fun never the less....

As Moffatross pointed out though whilst it looks like small upgrades for us in the short term  not a great run for longevity of cold compared to what was showing.....still plenty of room for optimism and improvements....just hope a lot of us get something from this spell and plenty already getting a wee bonus

The Met Office 12Z actually looks rather better than the GFS, with warm air pushing up to Greenland where GFS doesn't even see thicknesses rise there.  And yes, the next week looks interesting for the northern half of the UK at least. But the model watching melodramaticists are hanging (themselves) on every GFS and ECM run as they'd already convinced themselves they'd see the fabled Omega Block, and that the Met Office were wrong to expect a return of the Atlantic by the second half of January. Seems weird that we get the same happening every winter, and still none of them trust the Met Office !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
33 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Vehicles without winter tyres shouldn't be allowed on the road between November and March.

There's not even an excuse about cost and changeover. Mrs SS has those new style all seasons which have snow tread + ice snipes - so get the wee snaw approval symbol - but are fine for rain and dry summer roads too. Sure they lack the performance of a full summer tyre and are not as good as a full winter, but you don't get stuck in the snow or slide all over the place and unless you are racing in the summer, they're fine.

She's just come back from her first trip in snow on them (I've had a go) and she was well chuffed. No probs in 10 cm of fresh. I like my full summers and full winters so will continue to swap with the seasons, but then I drive 70 miles round trip and like my driving. If you are not that serious, the new types of all seasons are really good. For an unpredictable climate like scotland they're probably the best option in fact for your average motorist.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Snow coming down thick and fast here :yahoo:❄️

• Like 2

Posted

By the way may I add that this band of ppn that has blanketed parts of S Scotland has been terribly forecast in my opinion. Beebs maps showing full on snow at 8AM south of Peebles something that never happened until 11am and then fizzling out quite quickly before sunset - when it is still drifting north and I am actually getting my hopes up that it might leg the last 20 miles or so that separate me from it (L)

• Like 4

Posted

Raining at home according to the Mrs! Quite the disappointment!

Edited by 101_North

Posted

11 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

There's not even an excuse about cost and changeover. Mrs SS has those new style all seasons which have snow tread + ice snipes - so get the wee snaw approval symbol - but are fine for rain and dry summer roads too. Sure they lack the performance of a full summer tyre and are not as good as a full winter, but you don't get stuck in the snow or slide all over the place and unless you are racing in the summer, they're fine.

She's just come back from her first trip in snow on them (I've had a go) and she was well chuffed. No probs in 10 cm of fresh. I like my full summers and full winters so will continue to swap with the seasons, but then I drive 70 miles round trip and like my driving. If you are not that serious, the new types of all seasons are really good. For an unpredictable climate like scotland they're probably the best option in fact for your average motorist.

Yep, no excuse. Can you imagine the chaos on the M-8 just now with all the folk thinking they're invincible in their 4x4's with unsiped tyres, slamming into barriers and bumpers ?55ilax.jpg

Edit .. that was weird. Some forum auto-txt replacement going on and every time I typed the capital M followed by the numeral 8 it was replaced with 'mate'.

Edited by moffatross

Posted

Nice wee snowy drive home and a decent covering, but it's stopped now. T is -1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Great reading all the reports of snow, we have at least a couple of cm on the grass, so just enough to take the kids  out and have some fun. Time to wipe the dust of the sledge which has been up in the loft since 2010 I think :D

• Like 2

Posted

Made it home safe and well. 

Winter is alive and kicking in ayrshire!

image.thumb.jpg.10f595d9a309f5a81ca01be0

Edit: sorry about the photos. I have a prehistoric iphone. 

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Come on, folks...You're making my fellow softies 'green' with envy!:rofl:

• Like 4