Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Seeing as most of the population over 60 and lots of folk over 40 don't use Twitter or Facebook, it seems pretty poor that those are the media used for getting info out to people.  My mother is reasonably ok with using the internet but at 85 she's not going to start Twitter or Facebook.  Neither am I for that matter!

They have helpline numbers too HC, for those who don't use Internet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
24 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Seeing as most of the population over 60 and lots of folk over 40 don't use Twitter or Facebook, it seems pretty poor that those are the media used for getting info out to people.  My mother is reasonably ok with using the internet but at 85 she's not going to start Twitter or Facebook.  Neither am I for that matter!

You don't need to use twitter/have an account to read a twitter feed; all you need is an internet browser, be than on a smart phone or PC.

I don't have a twitter account but have a few pages bookmarked for instant updates when required.

Here's Traffic Scotland's page:

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland

Just a webpage that updates when new tweets appear. It's really a good way of getting info out quick and accessible to all with basic internet. Better than facebook and just like some updating feeds on e.g. the BBC 'live' pages.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pish turned tae snaw and lying on the roads in the NE at A96 Foudland.

http://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/view/?cam=63

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
34 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Got my old boy on twitter at 68....cmon HC get involved....whilst twitter is excellent for quick messages most organisations use a triple threat of website Facebook and Twitter and there is software that allows you too update all 3 at the same time which seems sensible

Edited by edo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
27 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

You don't need to use twitter/have an account to read a twitter feed; all you need is an internet browser, be than on a smart phone or PC.

I don't have a twitter account but have a few pages bookmarked for instant updates when required.

Here's Traffic Scotland's page:

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland

Just a webpage that updates when new tweets appear. It's really a good way of getting info out quick and accessible to all with basic internet. Better than facebook and just like some updating feeds on e.g. the BBC 'live' pages.

Cheers, that's useful to know.  I thought it would be 2komplikaytd for me.

Got the first part of my new winter kit - big plastic discs to go on my Lekis.  (Had to clean off some Alpine limestone dust first...)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Just drove back to Westhill from girlfriends in the centre of town and wow what a difference 8 miles makes. It was 6C and drizzle when I left and 0C and heavy snow when I arrived which has made a good attempt lying. Still loads of flooding but thankfully I was able to take my time so no issues. Quite a remarkable day really. Hope everyone in outlying areas are OK tonight.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow snow already....great start to the spell that's not really started yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Just back from Arbroath to pull a van out of a flood, the AA must be struggling up that way. It was absolutely hosing it down with loads of surface water, but South over the Tay it's drying up and quite calm. Still not cold though.

Posted
17 minutes ago, GoldenJackel said:

Just drove back to Westhill from girlfriends in the centre of town and wow what a difference 8 miles makes. It was 6C and drizzle when I left and 0C and heavy snow when I arrived which has made a good attempt lying. Still loads of flooding but thankfully I was able to take my time so no issues. Quite a remarkable day really. Hope everyone in outlying areas are OK tonight.

image.jpeg

Similar story here. I was expecting to get some sleet but was surprised to see everything turn white so quickly, particularly given all the rain.

• Like 2

Posted

Big fat sleety flakes here on my bit of the coast, grass is beginning to turn white but not managing to lie on roads but temps are starting to fall now so I live in hope:D

• Like 1

Posted

It's really starting to accumulate and the original forecast was for it to rain all night...

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, GoldenJackel said:

It's really starting to accumulate and the original forecast was for it to rain all night...

Forecast for here is supposed to be heavy rain till around 1300hrs tomorrow so this is a very pleasant surprise:yahoo:

Posted
5 minutes ago, GoldenJackel said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. We had a similar event here in late November that gave about 3-4 inches and then was washed away by dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Good to see you chaps seeing the White stuff. Out of interest what temps and dew points you got? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Snow certainly accumulating in Aberdeen now could be a few tricky roads inland before it stops

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Good to see you chaps seeing the White stuff. Out of interest what temps and dew points you got? 

I got a weather station for Christmas but with the weather being so bad and B&Q being flooded I haven't been able to put the thing up! But from a station nearby they are reading a temp of 0C and a dew point of 0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Evaporative cooling at play I suspect:

image.thumb.png.b328d8aea272f80815d9d701

Yeah and wind direction? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Evaporative cooling at play I suspect. Currently 0.8cT and 0.9cd wind nw 24mph

Posted

Very strange all the same as most roads in the area are under water after a day of very heavy rain.we.ll now wake to white cars and flooded fields bring on the real cold air.