Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Wow, sounds bad there. I know it's a minor irritant, but if it does snow how am I supposed to get to ski at Glenshee if the A93 has gone? 

Keep safe everyone. Benign weather here in Austria, another blue sky day. Think our last 2 days are supposed to be cloudier, with maybe some light snow. 

Snow gates at the back of Braemar, closed, due to flooding. Something tells me we won't be at Glenshee this season. Imagine how busy Cairngorm will be as a result, if or when they are able to open for snow sports.

Posted

Here's one for SS from Highland Weather, Carrbridge a few mins south of here

image.thumb.jpg.e23b326cdfdbf7000efa5f57

thankfully it would take a lot more to shift the oldest bridge in the Highlands 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

Snow gates at the back of Braemar, closed, due to flooding. Something tells me we won't be at Glenshee this season. Imagine how busy Cairngorm will be as a result, if or when they are able to open for snow sports.

Blimey! I drove that road for 20-odd years; but this's the first time the snow-gates have been closed because of rain...I think!

• Like 1

Posted

A couple of pics I took when out earlier. Lots of homes being evacuated, including an old folks home, emergency vehicles all over the place. Hats off to the council and emergency services for getting everyone out so quickly. It's devastating :( 

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

It's possible to get from Ballater to Crathie via the A939 and B976, but the gates are closed at Braemar - there is flooding to the South of the Cairnwell Pass, but given photos of the River Dee I've seen there could well be problems from the Clunnie Burn further up towards the Ski Centre, it runs very close to the A93 in a few places. 

Posted

Young Mr. Northernlights has just been out to feed cattle and complained about the windchill crossing from the house to the steading about 40 metres . He is right we heavy rain and a strong S wind  with a temperature that has gone from 12c to 3c in the last few hours.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ similar here, we're down to around 3'C now as well. Met Office going for some heavy snow before the bells, even down at sea level. That'd be quite nice to see in a hopefully much colder January! The models certainly seem to be playing ball (or maybe shinty in this case!) a bit more anyway

edit: should say the conditions look horrendous in parts of the country. In our own wee drier bubble up here though some of the rivers (see NorthernStrath's photo) are absolute torrents at the moment. Not much in the way of actual flooding in most of the Highlands, looks awful for many further south though. Stay safe folks! 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Well even by Scottish standards that was a pretty wild night there was pretty severe flooding in Aberfoyle today and a number of businesses affected  for the 2nd time in 3 weeks including the forth inn which is probably one of the best pubs in the area. after a refurb 5 years ago and a 6 month closure due to flooding this must be heartbreaking 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Not looking pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wind has dropped quickly here. Now fairly calm.

Temperature has bombed too. Was 11 C earlier, now 4 C.

But then you don't get strong storms from air of similar temperatures mixing...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Some of the pictures from Deeside, especially Ballater, are incredible. So many scenes of devastation from an area we have spent some great days out. No doubt the pictures so far are only scratching the surface too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

10314473_907690232611472_470010113035980

Most roads closed at some point today in the upper Tay area also. Here is the caravan park at Aberfeldy this afternoon.

Posted

one mention of the snow gates shut, regardless of the reason and the MT looks like a grenade went off in it. :rofl:

• Like 6

Posted

The Dee is really making its presence felt in parts of Aberden this evening with flooding reported and roads closed - I just hope the Bridge of Dee stays intact as the river is (remarkably) approaching the tops of the arches. Today's flooding up here has been very unusual for NE Scotland.

Posted

Some crazy scenes today, glad no ones been hurt 

It was 9c and blowing a wet hooley this time last night, 24hrs on it's a starlit sky, -1c with snow in the forecast for tomorrow evening, roller coaster weather 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Too true cscrim been chuckling away....I nearly bit on a post saying cold so close when the chart showed the majority of Scotland in significant cold but I thought I would leave them too it :)

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, a cooler damp last day of 2015. Currently 5c here in Crail. Here's to a drier start to 2016 but that's not looking too hopeful right now.

December temp anomalies look to finish around +2 or +3c above the mean for many stations in Scotland. http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html Needless to say rainfall is well above average for most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sleety here too for a time this morning but mostly cold rain. Cloudy and dry now at 2.5C

folks tell me it was snowing this morning in Aberfeldy but too wet to lie.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Better day with a top temperature of 3c with bright intervels after a ground frost early am at 0.5c. Little or no wind.

One of those days when you feel something is brewing in the weather .Lets hope its snow for New Year

On that subject hope everyone in the Scottish thread has a Happy and Prosperous New Year

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Came back up from England today, playing the game of 'match weather forecasts (doom merchants), electronic road signs (farcical), traffic scotland website (useless) with reality...' tricky game, we agreed.  We did see a few flakes briefly at Drumochter, otherwise just cold rain.

Just back from some disaster tourism in Lake District.  Short of being bombed or burned out, I can't think of anything worse than a flood.  Ok, plague, maybe.  Nightmare for thousands including some very close family.  Sister's house is ruined  - she's next door to a car repair shop and the house smells like a chemical works.  I took some photos but won't put them up in public to save people's dignity.  Insurance staff working 18 hour days, everyone mucking in to help each other, many businesses taking serious financial hits to help folk out.

Happy New Year all - here's to some proper wintry weather soon!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2