Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! And how many off us have nippy heids the day then? I was the very model of sobriety masel. And if you believe that you'll believe in a fat man in a red suit riding a sleigh across the sky! Breezy but cool here with a brisk easterly, temp 5.4c and cloudy. I'm keeping an eye on the charts for next week as it looks like we're in for another battering. I hope it seriously downgrades. Winds of up to 83mph are not to be treated lightly.

Posted

Morning all,

We've dodged much of the recent rainfall but not today. Thoroughly dreich and wet with a stiff easterly breeze this morning, 5.2c.

Posted

Morning, hope all had a nice relaxing festive period. Very wet and cold here today. Snaw was visible on the tops of the Ochils yesterday for brief moments in the greyness, but not a chance of a peek today I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Power has gone... Fantastic. 

The rain continues to pour. I'd like to see what the official rainfall totals will be... Surely >150% of average 

Posted

Oh dear SW Saltire! I hope it isn't off for too long. Nothing worse than being without light and heat. We take our leccy so much for granted and it is such a pain to be without it. Wherever you are I hope you find some warmth and are safe!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted

A dull  damp dreich morning here at 3.3c. Some observations about bird life very few in the last few days at our feeder and also at my father in laws at the coast but my sister who lives in the west of Scotland has had to start filling their feeders twice a day as numbers of birds have soared. Does nature sense something coming from the east!!!???

Down with cows to neep electric fence this morning no wind initially but as I watched them a breeze from the east got up, a very rare direction here these last two years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   4.9/4.7/ E 10mph and raining steadily.

Doesn't look good at all in NW England, already reports of more flooding.   Looking at the radar, the front appears to have stalled?

Really bad surface water on the roads here, river is also bursting its banks. Weather warning? Nope. I don't think I'll make it to work today it's that bad.

I was up seeing my parents last night and we drove home over Soutra and then on towards Greenlaw in thick snow. It was pretty epic to see it but was getting a wee bit dodgy at times especially with the way some people want to drive in snow. 50mph? Erm, not sensible. 15mph? Not really that sensible either if you're having to change up and down between 2nd and 3rd every 30 seconds or so. A wee bit of momentum is always good in snow. Anyway, it was great to see it :D 

image.jpeg

Posted
26 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Oh dear SW Saltire! I hope it isn't off for too long. Nothing worse than being without light and heat. We take our leccy so much for granted and it is such a pain to be without it. Wherever you are I hope you find some warmth and are safe!

Just a fairly localised shortage. 

4:30 is when they reckon it will be back on :(

thankfully, I always go to my dad's on Boxing Day for 'Christmas' with him so he has wi-fi and heating haha. 

Then I'm out drinking tonight so can't complain! 

At least my house isn't being flooded unlike those just to my south.

ground is beyond saturated here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just cold, grey and windy here. Dreary and boring.

edit.. oh and that's the rain on now (and lights on indoors since midday). Festive mongooses.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had steady snow for a few hours and at 4am it was thick big flakes, but now has gone to rain and its slowly vanishing. So dark and miserable - fell oot with one son, hubby got ratty and went in a grump, and I started on the Hogmanay bottle.  O god I hate xmas lol

• Like 7

Posted
13 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Predominantly it was the rain that was most noticeable though....

we were commenting on just how wet a year it has been.

A gloriously dry, warm September and October aside... It's been very poor. 

Let's hope 2016 gets off to a snowy start and then we get some sunshine and heat in the summer.

Inland, and in the hilliest bit of Dumfriesshire, less than 25 miles NE of you, we had 10 nice days at the end of September and into October, but that was it apart from the nice week in early June. I'd also agree that the relentless rain this year has been appalling, and coupled with the incessant wind that's been driving it into every nook and cranny, it's certainly been the grimmest year of weather I remember.

Posted
1 hour ago, moffatross said:

Inland, and in the hilliest bit of Dumfriesshire, less than 25 miles NE of you, we had 10 nice days at the end of September and into October, but that was it apart from the nice week in early June. I'd also agree that the relentless rain this year has been appalling, and coupled with the incessant wind that's been driving it into every nook and cranny, it's certainly been the grimmest year of weather I remember.

Yeah, I saw your interchange with HC. I can assure you we had a great 6-8 week spell with the odd blip but apart from that it's been pretty rubbish. Hopefully better next year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
53 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Yeah, I saw your interchange with HC. I can assure you we had a great 6-8 week spell with the odd blip but apart from that it's been pretty rubbish. Hopefully better next year

steady on, we haven't exchanged vows yet :blink2:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

We better get a belter of a storm next week because I'm having withdrawals. 70mph just ain't enough, where's my 100mph+??

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill

Posted

Heavy rain on the way home from Auora Storms  family holiday treat  Star Wars in Inverness  this afternoon and currently 2c. I think its about 5 years since I was in  the  cinema.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Rain stopped for about 1/4 of an hour earlier. Now raining again.

Roads were fairly flooded at 9 am the morn when I went to Edinburgh Airport for a drop-off, can't imagine what they'll be like now. River Leader was starting to flood a bit; that's not something I see often. Unlikely to affect many if any properties though hopefully.

Meanwhile, model thread on tenterhooks about this pattern change. Certainly some interesting charts appearing.

Just hoping the early ramping doesn't turn out like this:

305045_5_.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Aye same as Swave , snowing here too. Had a white Christmas, then rain and sleet washed most of it away earlier today, white again now though, and the beers have been chilling ootside, dandy. Hope you are all having a great festive period 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye same as Swave , snowing here too. Had a white Christmas, then rain and sleet washed most of it away earlier today, white again now though, and the beers have been chilling ootside, dandy. Hope you are all having a great festive period 

It's more than forecasted can it heavier than this

Is it possible that Aviemore is in a small streamer zone

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
14 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Heavy rain on the way home from Auora Storms  family holiday treat  Star Wars in Inverness  this afternoon and currently 2c. I think its about 5 years since I was in  the  cinema.

And I bet you didn't expect it to be 1978 when you got there! 

Anyway, a nice shift in the models of the past few days. Scotland looks like it could be a focal point for an east vs west battle as cold from the east and fronts from the west collide in early January. Both ECM and GFS want to move frigid -20'C uppers over our Norwegian neighbors. These are difficult setups to get right so there will be plenty for us to chat about.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning Peeps! Calm, cool and cloudy up here. Temp 3.2, pressure 1008. Skies slowly clearing and it promises to be a very pleasant day. I'd best make the most of it as midweek looks like pure pants!

• Like 1

ECM looks like the cold monkey got in and had a rattle with a spanner. Fingers crossed the change to colder weather comes off :) In the meantime today couldn't be a bigger contrast to yesterday, it's very sunny here. 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber rain warning out for Wednesday

Issued at: 1200 on Sun 27 Dec 2015

Valid from: 0015 on Wed 30 Dec 2015

Valid to: 1800 on Wed 30 Dec 2015

Rain will be heavy and persistent for much of Wednesday with some large rainfall totals building up, particularly over south facing hills, and accompanied by southerly gales. Please be prepared for both surface water and river flooding. This Alert will be updated over the coming days.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A waving cold front is expected to become slow moving over western Britain during Tuesday night and for much of Wednesday, associated with a strong, moist southwesterly airflow. Rainfall accumulations through this period are expected to be widely 20-40 mm, with 80 mm over some higher ground within the area, and the potential for some exposed locations in southwest Scotland to receive 100-150 mm. Gusts of 50-60 mph are expected to affect many parts, and 70 mph in some exposed locations.

Covers

Central, Tayside & Fife, Dumfries, Galloway, Lothian & Borders, Strathclyde

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1451433600&regionName=uk