Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Is the plural not mongeese?

Only if you follow rules for the sake of following rules... Etymology of 'mongoose' is quite different to 'goose' so you can take your pick.  This would have been a question for old Pa HC, but he passed away earlier this year...

• Like 1

Posted

Replies are back. Forum looks different got to admit (our xmas pressie for this year I suppose) ;) Anyway, Everything was all rain here. Not very warm rain but was rain. Now it's misty and drizzly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Drizzly here now too after some heavy cold rain with just a touch of sleet early. Temp up to 5.9C from 4.5C 25 minutes ago.

My brother drove down from Inverness this morning which took him an hour longer than usual with very poor conditions from Kingussie then through  Drummochter and all the way past Dunkeld

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Started the day off at -0.9C at home when I left the house around 8:45am. Temp at work in Dyce when I got there was 3C or thereabouts. Rain moved in not long after, and it was rain (couldn't see any snow on my webcam at home either despite the lower temp there). Looks to have stopped raining outside now but is very grey and misty.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Been rain from the start here. Got down to 0.2C overnight. Set my alarm for half 6 to see what was falling. At that time it was 1.8/-0.8C but it was light rain. Been raining lightly ever since. Temp got up to 3.8C but has actually went down in the last hour back to 3.0C. Was supposed to be getting close to 11 or 12C by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Big temp contrasts showing up on the Traffic weather stations. All the Tayside temps showing between 0 and 3C. All Strathclyde front page temps between 11 and 13C. There must be a very sharp divide.

Posted

friend in Port Glasgow reported a temp rise from 6oC to 12oC in 5 mins!! Don't know how accurate that is but it's still a marked rise whatever. Remember something similar last year about this time, although not in 5 mins, was cold day before then next day was like bahamas, felt warmer outside than in the house!

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Got up 0c in car and it's raining! Whit the hell. Only in scotland does it have to be -50 before it actually snows!

I remember it snowed in Les Gets France when it was 5c outside!

Upside is I won't freeze my knackers when out running tonight!

Posted

Temp at EDI Airport currently 6c lower than forecast for 4pm.

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Had a spell of snow this morning.  Getting milder now with some melt but still a decent covering. Took this just now.  5 mins down the road closer to town there's nothing! 

IMG_20151201_173844439.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
32 minutes ago, 101_North said:

8c rise in an hour at Edinburgh Airport. 5c at 4pm, 13c at 5pm!

Shooting up here too! Literally 15mins ago I checked and it was 3.9C, right now it is 7.2C.

Still had a speckle get of snow remnants on the grass in the back garden when I got home at 6pm, which surprised me. Will be gone quick now if this keeps up. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Got to agree. Felt a little chilly a few hours ago now it's back to spring so it seems!

Just now, NUT said:

Got to agree. Felt a little chilly a few hours ago now it's back to spring so it seems!

The temperature changed so quickly the windows steamed up inside at work. It felt decidedly tropical coming home this afternoon. Certainly a massive change from the lashing sleet this morning on the way to work at half six.

Posted

A pretty miserable start to December with persistent rain. Quite cold too with temperatures around 4C until it shot up to 11C in the space of 20 minutes this afternoon. And it feels noticeably milder indoors and outdoors.

The models appear to show a somewhat messy outlook with not much prospect of notable wintry weather, but neither particularly mild for the coming week or two. Hopefully in a few days time or so the outlook will be clearer and fingers-crossed for potentially cold or snowy evolutions popping up but for now I think we'll be relying on transient polar westerlies.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

very rapid rise in temperatures here too on Lewis, some 6 or 7 c in easily 30-40minutes.  Along with it came the heavy rain (19mm) so far and the squally winds (30mph sustained winds with gusts around 50mph)

Posted

Auchterarder 11.8C. Inveralmond [Perth] 2.4C. How many miles apart?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

It's a bit blawy oot! Very mild though which made the run tonight a very different animal from Sunday's freezing heavy snow.  Schizophrenic weather I think may be a trend for the next week or maybe not...at least we're not all in meltdown like the MT last night, those guys need to take more joy out the weather whatever it is:wink:

For a distraction -  here's a picture (poor quality cause they're so fast and I was through the window and too slow) of a squirrel almost falling off the bush outside my kitchen window...bad karma for stealing the birds' fat balls Tufty!

DSC_0031.thumb.png.0a90b5bf3344284820f5d

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I drove north to Bettyhill this evening through the remnants of the rain and with the temp yoyoing between 3C and 9C. Most odd, might have been an error on the car I spose.  There was more snow left in my garden than there was at Kinbrace and it's not often I can write that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Had a very surreal temperature change at around 3pm today driving along the mate. Temp was 5.5C one minute, then suddenly the windows and mirrors all steamed up (rather scary driving along the motorway!) and only a few minutes later the temp was 10.5C. I've never seen such a sudden change in temperature.