Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

In my opinion if the GFS is correct and it keeps going the way it has over the last couple of runs we could see an easterly develop with low pressure going under the high rather than the onslaught of south  westerlys

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Moderate snow here now big flakes.... kids are going bonkers....

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light snow here now with full snow cover remaining. Temp 0c 

Dp -1.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Light drizzle here lol!

Posted

very fine snow here at present.... if this was big flakes i wouldnt be able to see out the window...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The weather really does take the pee. It gives us one abysmal snow event, which doesn't deliver even the slightest dusting here. If you got a dusting, just be glad you saw snow, because I haven't seen any of the stuff for years now. Even worse, the weather next week is set to be milder than average with rain.

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

My snow decent earlier, but near enough full thaw, 1.9C today, as of now cold shot over, 4/10 really for it, and forum update rubbish! liked it better before

PICT0624.JPG

PICT0622.JPG

PICT0621.JPG

PICT0620.JPG

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Light drizzle here. I'm annoyed with myself for being interested in cold and snow. If only I'd decided to become fascinated by grey murk and cold drizzle, this would have been the best winter spell ever! :D

• Like 6

Posted

Still light snow here.... not adding much but look pretty enough....

Posted

Atlantic broke through, max temp is now 2.0C, bbc seem to have clear skies moving in from the east tomorrow night, so could be good frosts even fog Thurs am, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
52 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Atlantic broke through, max temp is now 2.0C, bbc seem to have clear skies moving in from the east tomorrow night, so could be good frosts even fog Thurs am, 

I would give a lot for clear skies. Given that snow is out of the question, a few days of clear air, bright sunshine and night frosts would be absolute heaven!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I would give a lot for clear skies. Given that snow is out of the question, a few days of clear air, bright sunshine and night frosts would be absolute heaven!

but with snow on ground welcomed miles more, any remaining snow going, temp slowly rising, often happens when cold spells end, temp slowly starts to rise from around 6pm

model thread buzzing about cold Feb, I don't believe it, miles in FI, just hope in 6 weeks we're not still waiting for torpedo's SSW's greenie highs and beasterlies

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

but with snow on ground welcomed miles more

Of course! But it's sooo hard to get the combination in these parts. The January 2010 spell was just about perfect: 11cm of snow at its peak, several ice days, wonderful clear air and blazing sunshine. That last element really makes a perfect wintry spell, but it's only really possible in midwinter. By the second half of Feb, sunshine just means everything turns slushy.

Photo is one I took: Cathedral Close in Worcester city centre, 7 Jan 2010. The snow wasn't at its deepest yet, but the weather was outstanding.

WorcesterJan2010.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Of course! But it's sooo hard to get the combination in these parts. The January 2010 spell was just about perfect: 11cm of snow at its peak, several ice days, wonderful clear air and blazing sunshine. That last element really makes a perfect wintry spell, but it's only really possible in midwinter. By the second half of Feb, sunshine just means everything turns slushy.

Photo is one I took: Cathedral Close in Worcester city centre, 7 Jan 2010. The snow wasn't at its deepest yet, but the weather was outstanding.

WorcesterJan2010.jpg

Dec '10 was good too, Mar '13 but high sun so more thaw

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Dec '10 was good too, Mar '13 but high sun so more thaw

Yeah, Christmas 2010 was a huge memory for me. Christmas Day, walked down into Bewdley in the morning: bright sunshine, big ice floes floating down the river. Boxing Day: overcast but the river frozen over completely and -6 °C at 2pm! Not quite as perfect feel as Jan 2010, but more memorable weather conditions. :)

Posted

It was pretty seeing the light snow cover this morning. Was pleased to be on the early shift driving the trams up and down and it was quite pleasant going through the wintry landscape with light snow falling. Shame it melted so quick through mid morning.

It was very pleasant. For me it was on a par with a misty Autumn morning or late evening sunshine in June. It's pleasant at that moment but not anything memorable.

As far as real memorable winter weather goes...the wait continues. Back to the rain pounding the front of my tram soon then!

Posted
Just now, Gord said:

It was pretty seeing the light snow cover this morning. Was pleased to be on the early shift driving the trams up and down and it was quite pleasant going through the wintry landscape with light snow falling. Shame it melted so quick through mid morning.

It was very pleasant. For me it was on a par with a misty Autumn morning or late evening sunshine in June. It's pleasant at that moment but not anything memorable.

As far as real memorable winter weather goes...the wait continues. Back to the rain pounding the front of my tram soon then!

carrying on from last night, my snow obviously not changed my thoughts! but nowadays we can't seem to keep a snowcover without heat of day thaws? no problems in the 90's

Friday was pathetic, snow completely thawed with -8 uppers, temp reached 2°, if 90's perhaps take 0.5° off that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Around 4cm of snow last night, raining tonight! :angry:

Posted

Some talk in the MOD about Feb 91.... now i was living in the South East that year and i clearly remember it.... massive amounts of snow freezing cold temps.. but im wondering how the Midlands did during that spell?? can anybody remember what it was like back then???

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Some talk in the MOD about Feb 91.... now i was living in the South East that year and i clearly remember it.... massive amounts of snow freezing cold temps.. but im wondering how the Midlands did during that spell?? can anybody remember what it was like back then???

Feb '91 was pure Snowmageddon round these parts, the second absolutely massive fall of snow that particular winter. A vintage easterly.

Bish 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Feb '91 was pure Snowmageddon round these parts, the second absolutely massive fall of snow that particular winter. A vintage easterly.

Bish 

I remember the huge snow falls we had in Essex and the cold was bone chilling but had no idea how the rest of the country did and because of that always thought it was only the east that got results off an easterly.... but seeing as you have said how good it was in the Midlands im now liking the sound of a re run of Feb 91.....bring that on....

• Like 1