Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Still pinning my hopes onto February to deliver a more substantial cold spell with hopefully some heavy, deep and long lasting snow cover. Even back in December listening to the pros I ways attached my hopes to then. This cold spell I think is probably nothing more than a bonus (more so for some than others) and although it will probably get milder in the interim I think (or should I say hope) the main course is still yet to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Snowy scenes here in Moulton, Northants. Dewpoint 0.0c and convective showers starting to break out to my south west and head this way. IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.c21a6c4a3dc813c4d83b8IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.28d475a9a058373cb13a2IMG_0288.thumb.JPG.080bea6bbf55ecc6ee3ce

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Lol! Atleast you're getting something Walsall Wood snow! It was drizzle most of the night here. Ironically i'm from Brownhills originally, live in Dudley now and have only seen snow settle here twice in almost 3 years!

Edited by matt_in_dudley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

pleased to see some are getting some action today.... hope you get a good spell of it....

• Like 1

Posted

Turned very light again now with just a few tiny flakes. It would have to come down really heavily to stick now though as apart from the surfaces that have retained half thawed snow on roofs and grass it's just wet on pavements.

Posted
9 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Just started snowing!!!!

nothing here just yet need a top up though as the kids have used every last inch of snow on the snowman

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer of 95 said:

I was wondering if it's the same mechanism as keeps pushing the Spanish plumes further east each year? Old battleground snowfalls used to turn to snow in the west (12th March 2006 was the last example), now it just rains everywhere west of Birmingham/Stoke. Just like the heat never gets here, it stops in the same place (if it reaches the UK at all) and we just get cloud.

Yes thunder days seemed to have dropped lately the atlantic is to blame killing everything of except for rare exceptions... as for march 2006 that was a classic much further west battleground up march 2006 as a whole up there with the 80`s.

Posted
Just now, SnowTornado said:

nothing here just yet need a top up though as the kids have used every last inch of snow on the snowman

the rate it's coming down it'll only keep what we have going, it's not gonna build up much. But it's a bonus and who knows, there may even be more developments later on. The 850s are actually higher today than last night too! :D

Posted
Just now, cyclonic happiness said:

the rate it's coming down it'll only keep what we have going, it's not gonna build up much. But it's a bonus and who knows, there may even be more developments later on. The 850s are actually higher today than last night too! :D

yea can only hope that even if the main area of precip doesnt reach here that the lower pressure helps one or two showers pop up ahead of it.

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowTornado said:

yea can only hope that even if the main area of precip doesnt reach here that the lower pressure helps one or two showers pop up ahead of it.

some of the best snowfalls we've had over the past 5 years have been from areas like this developing right overhead, remember that one in January 2013, we got almost a foot from that and it wasn't expected.

Let's hope the weather gods smile upon us! :)

Posted
8 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

some of the best snowfalls we've had over the past 5 years have been from areas like this developing right overhead, remember that one in January 2013, we got almost a foot from that and it wasn't expected.

Let's hope the weather gods smile upon us! :)

best snow that was since 91 i think round here. 2010 was no gd here only got 2/3cms from that.... Few flakes falling now

Edited by SnowTornado
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Stratford and Oxford have done so badly from this. Not even seen a flake here! Sleet last night was the best we got.

• Like 1

Posted

Still damp, drizzly and dull. Why hasn't the snow pushed further west today? Definitely the same thing as the Spanish plumes not affecting the West any more. Can we have sunshine if we are going to miss the snow at least?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Still damp, drizzly and dull. Why hasn't the snow pushed further west today? Definitely the same thing as the Spanish plumes not affecting the West any more. Can we have sunshine if we are going to miss the snow at least?

This has been the winter equivalent of Summer Spanish Plume events. West is definately NOT best.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

I'm just back from a drive on the Peak district over the Cat and fiddle. some nice small drifts which are knee deep in parts. Hard to put a gauge on depth as it is windy and blowing around. Lots of people sledging up there though. Roads are very clear even the side roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Very cold here and very heavy looking cloud cover.... looks like it should be snowing but its not....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looking at the wider picture It's interesting just looking at the short range model how the battle between the milder air with higher dew points and the colder,drier air  is being fought across our region.

Take this evening at 9pm

1.thumb.png.dd2c52f54582a1a07bee9347b9602.thumb.png.2f3edfe397872611d0109523ff063.thumb.png.6f2f9e5a1094bf79253edcdf9159

the milder moister Atlantic air making inroads from the south west into much of the region.See the dp''s and uppers rising,the coldest air retreating east.By later tonight any patchy precipitation will likely be of rain/sleet although not much is expected anyway with most of the rain over Wales/W Country.

This trend continuing through much of tomorrow,still rather cold and damp with the odd shower of rain/sleet here and there Then a push back of cold from the northeast and we see by the early hours of Tuesday how this has spread into the region.

4.thumb.png.fe8b14154a295bfc6b74e721ec365.thumb.png.e6cd601a40ad3f5b64ed7f7956b36.thumb.png.b573dfbea66f7d4e319badb60540

so although there doesn't appear to be much in the way of snow interest in the next couple of days i think this period of 2 air masses fighting for supremacy over our region is worth following if you just like weather for it's own sake.

• Like 3