Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Well, would you believe it? Decided to go into Worcester for some shopping today. Drizzle all the way, then on the edge of Worcester a few wet flakes mixed in. Might just have been on the snowy side of sleet for a moment or two, but nothing I could honestly call proper snow. I can at least now say I've seen snowflakes falling this "winter".

I guess that upgrades this "cold spell" from 0/10 to 0.5/10 for me. :rofl:

Hoping for a quick warmup for an eventual reload, not the slow, mizzly affair that unfortunately looks quite likely on current model output.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

well my moaning to the snow gods must have finally paid off as we had a decent snowfall last night and around an inch of lying snow today.  looks very pretty and a nice change after the past few fairly snowless winters.  around freezing still right now.

Posted
38 minutes ago, xSnow said:

0cm snow here... It's just wet outside.

Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
Just now, cyclonic happiness said:

Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you?

Near Stratford.

Posted
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

The northwest quadrant of the Midlands always got the raw deal with snowfall, no idea why. We always looked on in envy at the East Midlands!

That's the same with thunderstorms,everything seems to be getting pushed further east and eastward with the stronger atlantic.

Posted

2-3cm here this morning, snowed lightly for about an hour a bit earlier on in the morning.

Posted

One word for this cold spell where I am, pathetic.  Glad some on here got some decent snow though. Had a dusting here which has now all melted.  Happy days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Around 4cm cover here.

20160117_114753_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160117_114409_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Bit of a covering here on grass and roofs etc. Was more on pavements earlier but is now slowly thawing. What is lying though is say roughly a cm deep. Woke up about 4:00am and was snowing heavily again then, which helped turn the dusting from earlier to the cm we have now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well, I've suddenly got snow symbols popped up on my MetO forecast for 2 & 3pm today...

No idea where that's supposed to be coming from!

Posted
15 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Well, I've suddenly got snow symbols popped up on my MetO forecast for 2 & 3pm today...

No idea where that's supposed to be coming from!

On the radar, the stuff to the southwest of here, over Gloucestershire, is swinging back up this way. It could pep up as it meets the cold air, or it could be rain lol

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

That's the same with thunderstorms,everything seems to be getting pushed further east and eastward with the stronger atlantic.

I was wondering if it's the same mechanism as keeps pushing the Spanish plumes further east each year? Old battleground snowfalls used to turn to snow in the west (12th March 2006 was the last example), now it just rains everywhere west of Birmingham/Stoke. Just like the heat never gets here, it stops in the same place (if it reaches the UK at all) and we just get cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Ive got snow symbols from 6pm right thru to 10am tomorrow.... i wouldnt mind a bit of that if it comes off... top up what we still have from last nights action...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So it looks like the Atlantic will just walk through from tonight. Just rain for all of us except the highest ground. So bored of this winter now.

• Like 1

Posted

Snow pretty much thawed out here now. 

To think three years ago today we'd be preparing for snowmageddon (well, not quite).  6-8" across these parts during period Jan 18-20, with over a foot on higher ground. 

Best snowfall since Jan 2010. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Anyone got any thoughts about tonight and tomorrow's snow chances?

No chance.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
7 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Snow pretty much thawed out here now. 

To think three years ago today we'd be preparing for snowmageddon (well, not quite).  6-8" across these parts during period Jan 18-20, with over a foot on higher ground. 

Best snowfall since Jan 2010. 

I remember it well.... what a few days it was and what an awesome 2 months that followed on from it... will we get to see anything like it again?? as for tonight i think a few of us will be pleasantly surprised....

Posted

Aye, CDF's right.  All factors relevant to snowfall for places away from high ground are unfavourable.  And the precip weakens to little by the time it gets here anyway. 

Posted

Last night we were right on the warm front boundary. Ruined any chance of snow and pushed the proper cold air away. 

So so annoyed it has all turned in to a damp messy squib affair again. 

thankfully winter is ticking by fast now. Can't wait for it to finish now. Nothing can beat that first warm spring day with everything bursting into life. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted

Thawing rapidly now. Can't seem to get a covering that stays frozen for any length of time just lately.

• Like 1