Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Friday looking like a high ground afair at present, but still time for upgrades as yesterday showed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmmm, tonights possible event:unsure2:

Very unsure about this one. It will be a very close call. I think areas in the Midlands above 200m will do alright out of it. My only concern is what speed the PPN clears away. At the moment it looks like it will start off as rain and turn to snow on the back edge. Which is a bit pants if you ask me.

We may get lucky if the cold air can dig in while the bulk of the PPN is still around but i'm not too confident of that.

My feeling is that at lower levels it'll start as heavy rain and turn to wet snow on the back edge. Will be a case of radar and current temp watching I think!

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

prectypeuktopo (2).png

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Philip avery said just now on bbc news 24 forecast.... 2-5cm at 200m with possibility of snow being knee deep with risk of 20cm or more in places above 200m in peak district, pennines....Amber warning later? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Philip avery said just now on bbc news 24 forecast.... 2-5cm at 200m with possibility of snow being knee deep with risk of 20cm or more in places above 200m in peak district, pennines....Amber warning later? 

We can only 'hope' :D

Certainly an interesting 24hr coming up for upland areas.

• Like 1

Posted

If some of the charts come off, the Peak District is in for its usual pasting, exiting times ahead for any snow lovers though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎
On 01/03/2016 at 9:43 PM, Barbmac said:
5 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

If some of the charts come off, the Peak District is in for its usual pasting, exiting times ahead for any snow lovers though! 

But chuff all for us down in town. Bbc 5-day has been dancing all week a'tween rain sleet and full snow. Now of course it's sleet. So near and yet so far.

Posted

Hate these marginal setups, as on the one hand you could potentially get something special however equally you could just end up with a night of heavy rain with the salt in the wound 20 minutes of Wet Snow before it stops. Local weather forecaster hedging his bets here in Nottingham, forecasting rain but saying their is a chance of it turning to snow at lower levels, with a whopping 1cm on offer LOL

Edited by Ryan05

Posted
40 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Will, I did say yesterday that you'd probably get about 20cm in Glossop. This time I wasn't messing around :D

It looks like the system stalls over the peak district tonight and tomorrow. Nailed on for you guys up there now to get a pasting.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, andy_leics22 said:

Will, I did say yesterday that you'd probably get about 20cm in Glossop. This time I wasn't messing around :D

It looks like the system stalls over the peak district tonight and tomorrow. Nailed on for you guys up there now to get a pasting.

Hope so..... Had snow falling yesterday but snowline where it settled was above me at 350m-400m... Had dusting on cars and grass but melted pretty quickly afterwards....Been pretty ill was in bed most of yesterday so wasnt paying too much attention to weather.... Looking forward to whatever tonight brings....

Posted
24 minutes ago, TyphoonNow said:

As is often the case with snow, we could be so close, yet so far away.

Every time it snows up on the tops i hear the words "its a different world up there" from somebody in my family :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

I'd whip your hand off for a cm now. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Met Office has removed our snow warning now here in the W Midlands, just northern parts of the region now. Has looked like a rain event for a while now for us. Low is too far north. May push a little sleet as the band wraps back round late on Friday but cannot see anything else occurring.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Yes warnings now apply to Derby, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I doubt Derby will get anything but agreed that the Peak District looks odds on for a fair dumping. I am still planning on heading up there on Saturday, hopefully there will be a good blanket to greet me.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I doubt Derby will get anything but agreed that the Peak District looks odds on for a fair dumping. I am still planning on heading up there on Saturday, hopefully there will be a good blanket to greet me.

Looks to be a fine weekend for walking round here, As you say hopefully some snow-cover with cold/clear dry Northerly winds. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Met Office has removed our snow warning now here in the W Midlands, just northern parts of the region now. Has looked like a rain event for a while now for us. Low is too far north. May push a little sleet as the band wraps back round late on Friday but cannot see anything else occurring.

06z have snow right down to the south of England it's going to be another marginal set up. Tiny adjustments make a huge difference but my instincts say peaks will be white and the rest will get a wintery mix grrr.

Edited by snowangel32

Posted

Latest from meto.

a.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

06z have snow right down to the south of England it's going to be another marginal set up. Tiny adjustments make a huge difference but my instincts say peaks will be white and the rest will get a wintery mix grrr.

Sadly I just cannot trust the GFS against the Hi Res models in these set ups and at this short range.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Sadly I just cannot trust the GFS against the Hi Res models in these set ups and at this short range.

yep  think our ship as sailed on this one.  of course the low could pivot slightly more south than anticipated   but  mehhh   sums up this winter

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Yh right with you there but I don't trust the met either lol. Euro4 I find gets it right most times.

Posted

Well it was 9c about half hour ago, according to a temperature display on the side of a building round here, so I can't imagine snow and especially settling snow showing up round here anytime soon. I know it'll probably drop but it'll have to drop a long way for ideal snow conditions. Looks like yesterday was it for us round here at least. Still if the Peak District gets a pasting i'm hoping to convince my friend to take me up there for a walk over the weekend, preferably Saturday to see it at its freshest and to avoid possible thaw (remember going up there on the Sunday after the snow they had back in November and was greeted by sod all).

Posted

The Hirlam  is an awful model  decideds to keep us in a heavy snow zone for a good few hours  for alot of the midlands

Edited by weirpig

Posted

The 12z GFS run has pretty much killed all hope of snow for the Midlands. The front moves through a bit quicker and the colder 850's don't make inroads into the Midlands until around 3-6am. By which point, the PPN looks to have moved through.

Absolutely typical.

Posted
21 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The Hirlam  is an awful model  decideds to keep us in a heavy snow zone for a good few hours  for alot of the midlands

Yh I saw that it's a big tease. This is going to be a now castin, every model is different the met are changing there mind every hour anything could happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

tonights snow any1 from birmingham south can forget it. enough of this jaffa cakesing winter. Bring on the spring warmth and lets hope winter 2016 2017 gives us something better our lucks boun to change  soon for the better and reward us with what most of us here crave wich is snow. Cold with out snow doesn't really flote my boat.

Edited by syed2878
  • Like 1