Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, skyblusam said:

Wow I've got a rainfest cold spell my weeble. Roll on the summer. Unfortunately our winters now seem to be a lot milder and snowless compared to the 90's and earlier. And I think this is how it's going to stay. Oh to be a kid again running in to put my gloves on the radiator for a quick warm before running back outside to finish the snowman 

dead right there, what I believe too, and agree about roll on Summer

• Like 2

Posted

A bit more intensity in the precip further west now. Might be useful later is it falls as snow that is

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

dead right there, what I believe too, and agree about roll on Summer

As far as these northwesterly winter patterns go, you're right, it is near impossible to get the right snowy setup. But there are other scenarios. 2013 was only 3 years ago...hardly the distant past.

I'm not writing off other options for this winter or future winters...yet.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hughsey said:

Still some light snow falling. Temperatures were rising, hitting 1.7 at 20:00, but falling now, at 1.0 and DP 0.1. 

Oooooh...sounds like you're on the bubble of marginality there as the less cold air digs east, but you should be OK there in Notts....just about!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A few flakes of snow coming down here too now, settling on cars and wheelie bins. I do wish I could be about 20 miles east of here though.

Posted
1 minute ago, Gord said:

As far as these northwesterly winter patterns go, you're right, it is near impossible to get the right snowy setup. But there are other scenarios. 2013 was only 3 years ago...hardly the distant past.

I'm not writing off other options for this winter or future winters...yet.

yes this isn't really a cold spell, more Polar Maritime, but it's always milder nowadays with every setup in winter since around 2000, I mean our mildest Dec ever, sure if it was the 90's it wouldn't be mildest ever, average temps in winter in every setup gone up

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes this isn't really a cold spell, more Polar Maritime, but it's always milder nowadays with every setup in winter since around 2000, I mean our mildest Dec ever, sure if it was the 90's it wouldn't be mildest ever, average temps in winter in every setup gone up

Agree with you about this not really being a cold spell. Not sure I agree about the rest of your post. February 2009, January 2010, December 2010, (Almost February 2012!), January 2013, March 2013 were great setups if you like cold.

There are plenty of very mild winter setups before 2000 as well. In fact, February 1998 was one of the most pleasant winter months I've ever known! (I normally hate mild in winter but that was an exception!)

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmmm, just seen a few flurries in the security light here in Oxford. It does feel bitterly cold as well, must be 2c tops. Maybe bodes well for later but we shall see. The precip still looks too far East to me.

Posted

still believe Gordon if we had those 2000 setups, in 90's or earlier it would be colder, Feb '98 setup now add 2 degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

Just peeped out in hope and sure enough light snow! Please carry on, I can watch by the garden light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

PPn looks way East on latest bbc forecast its moved so far that even London could get some snow. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

still believe Gordon if we had those 2000 setups, in 90's or earlier it would be colder, Feb '98 setup now add 2 degrees

Time will tell I suppose. If we keep getting very mild months in the next few winters, then I will agree with you. Think I'll keep an open mind on it for now.

Would like to see a Feb 98 setup again one day, but preferably after a bitter cold December and January...so not this year please!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

its still snowing here but not as heavy as i thought it would be so ive got the vintage cider out and ive stuck "the day after tomorrow " on my sky box... defo no warm sectors in this film......

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Gord said:

Time will tell I suppose. If we keep getting very mild months in the next few winters, then I will agree with you. Think I'll keep an open mind on it for now.

Would lie to see a Feb 98 setup again one day, but preferably after a bitter cold December and January...so not this year please!

I would like a Feb '98 too, if we do now in 2016, 20°C would be broken in favoured spots, not us though wouldn't think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Light snow in rural Northants now.

Posted

Snow around London being reported????? It was supposed to be the West Midlands!

What is it with this area and missing everything! 3C, horrible and damp still. How can it be colder to both the North and South while we have this rubbish. Sick of this crap now, every year seems to get worse and not just in winter.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

its still snowing here but not as heavy as i thought it would be so ive got the vintage cider out and ive stuck "the day after tomorrow " on my sky box... defo no warm sectors in this film......

i think if that film were to ever come true, the Midlands would still be in a mild sector and would be the best place on earth to live :D

• Like 3