Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Continue your discussions regarding the weather in the Midlands here.

Looks as though there could be a possibility for places to see a little wintry surprise tonight and tomorrow as a disturbance tracks South-Eastwards through the UK. Something for some of the cold weather fans to look forward too. But... can the snow become powerful enough to blow up the snow shields, or will they just be too tough? To find out, just look out your window... :p

Have also included a quote from Weather09's recent post below:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83158-the-midlands-weather-chat/?p=3287860

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some early season snowfall, even if it is a brief episode Latest EURO4 output is modeling snowfall - mainly over high ground - among general precip associated with occlusion(s) dropping south over central parts early morning. Zero-degree isotherm a little high (700-800m per GFS) for lower level snowfall, so ideally need precip to be of mod/heavy intensity to drag colder air aloft and subsequently lower the freezing level. Also, 850-1000hPa thicknesses look to rise beyond 1300m for short time during period of interest, adding to the marginal nature of seeing the white stuff. Provided these factors are favourable, though, few places might get lucky and see temporary covering.

Here's hoping.

post-10703-0-39882400-1448042707_thumb.j Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

BS..

I was just sending you a message to say keep your hopes up, when DRL switched the forum, so I thought I'd re-type it..

When my kids were about 10 years old, my wife had a major heart problem.She was in hospital for 6 weeks around various hospitals in the midlands. Eventually i was told to have my bags ready to fly to Papworth, as her heart was failing fast

It has always amazed me that I managed to keep the kids happy (fed and watered), did the washing, kept visiting my wife twice a day and also kept my job going. (My employers gave me all the time off I needed - but one copes).

Keep your chin up, the hospitals are fantastic in an emergency situation.

The real point is you must give her ladyship the time to recover, dont push her to hard.

The snow will be back next year I am sure, and you will have a lot of opportunities to explore the snowdrifts.....

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Still sleety here Temp 2.5c Dp 1.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Still sleety here Temp 2.5c Dp 1.5c.

Yes, P.M, the first sleet of the season here too this afternoon and evening, with a bit of small hail thrown in for good measure.

Current temp' is 2.2c

Posted

Only light rain showers atm, wind is a bit too westerly and Wales is gobbling them up. Should turn northerly as the low sinks south but in all honesty I just dont think its cold enough. A touch of air frost is the best I think we can hope for, but even that isnt guaranteed given the lack of it in these setups the last two winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

BS..

I was just sending you a message to say keep your hopes up, when DRL switched the forum, so I thought I'd re-type it..

Sorry, should have gave more notice that I was starting a new thread.

If anyone wants to throw a snowball at me as punishment (assuming it actually snows tonight), go right ahead.

• Like 2

Posted

Freezing rain here now, sleety mix on going lamp post watch time!

Like said above its good to see the old skool again, man im getting old lol.

Winds picking up. Heres my lamp post view...

post-3585-0-48305500-1448048001_thumb.jp

Posted

First traces of sleet this afternoon in a heavier showery band.

Now its snowing in a shower 2c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Freezing rain here now, sleety mix on going lamp post watch time!

Like said above its good to see the old skool again, man im getting old lol.

Winds picking up. Heres my lamp post view...

Freezing rain? didn't think that was possible on this setup? only with above 0 uppers and below 0 ground temps

Posted

Well it sounded like hail but it was not, rain very cold i went out back to experience it, yes it was cold or freezing rain. -4 uppers over us now, -6 inbound. I beg to be wrong but hey you know how things go.

Posted

Graupel? Freezing ice blips falling, sorry im out of the loop, having a bad year watching my dad die of cancer.. on going, on his last weeks now.

Sorry if in formation, just saying what i see.

Posted

Graupel? Freezing ice blips falling, sorry im out of the loop, having a bad year watching my dad die of cancer.. on going, on his last weeks now.

Sorry if in formation, just saying what i see.

Sorry to hear that, bud. I'm going through a similar thing with my father right now - Dementia in his case.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

BS..

When my kids were about 10 years old, my wife had a major heart problem.She was in hospital for 6 weeks around various hospitals in the midlands. Eventually i was told to have my bags ready to fly to Papworth, as her heart was failing fast

It has always amazed me that I managed to keep the kids happy (fed and watered), did the washing, kept visiting my wife twice a day and also kept my job going. (My employers gave me all the time off I needed - but one copes).

Keep your chin up, the hospitals are fantastic in an emergency situation.

The real point is you must give her ladyship the time to recover, dont push her to hard.

The snow will be back next year I am sure, and you will have a lot of opportunities to explore the snowdrifts.....

MIA

Many thanks MIA.... She is home today and looking so much better... feeling blessed to still have here... i some how managed to keep the kids happy and in school apart from our special needs child it was his birthday the day mummy was taken to hospital and the whole episode was all too much for him... but we have come out the other side of it and move in 2 weeks time... lucky the new house is fully furnished so just a few boxes and personal stuff to move...

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy sleet shower passing through here now, bodes well for later. The wind is also really strong again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Ah, the first lamp post photo of the season  :yahoo:

Let us hope, the first of many!

Bish

Hi Bish,

Yes! lamp post season is now here :D Hoping for/to see a flake or two under my new much improved LED street lamps....They are the dogs!!!!

Welcome to all that's new and back :wink:

post-11006-0-18147300-1448050071_thumb.p

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 6

Posted

Yep, heavy wintry shower just passed here as well. Started out as rain/sleet, then gradually transitioned to largely moderate snow as the cold air aloft was dragged downward. Some chunky flakes in there too.

Is indeed cause for optimism later on.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Hi folks.Just had a hail shower here which has the brought the temp down a couple of degrees now at 2.7c dew point -0.7c

Edited by phil b

Posted

TY Will And Bish, horrible aint it. having the worst time of my life.

Anyway Back To The Weather, radar local the -6 uppers are upon us (850hpa nw ex) Random showers bearing NNW turning rapidly into snowy sleety conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

TY Will And Bish, horrible aint it. having the worst time of my life.

Anyway Back To The Weather, radar local the -6 uppers are upon us (850hpa nw ex) Random showers bearing NNW turning rapidly into snowy sleety conditions.

Thoughts with you and family Leekay...

• Like 1