Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

Unbelievable

Last Tuesday I had a large abscess, inconveniently situated at the base of my left buttock, (not a pretty sight), drained at my GP's surgery. Not something I want to repeat in a hurry. Since then I've been going back daily to have the dressing changed.

But the weekend looms and obviously the surgery is closed so where to go to have the dressing changed? The answer is nowhere. The dressing clinic at the local hospital wont do it as the original procedure wasn't carried out there. The minor accident unit at same wont touch it as it's not within their remit. A similar story from the nearest walk-in clinic. The only recourse is for a district nurse to call and that's how it stands at the moment.

The whole situation is utterly ridiculous and a complete pain in the rectum. So to speak.

I can understand your sentiments Malc,  I had one myself on my lower back near to my coxic bone which i had cut out last year. Gave me pain for years and never built the courage up to have it looked at as dentist/doctors are not my forte. I used to even drain it myself but would always come back after a month or two with a vengeance! Apparently the surgeon said i was very lucky as if i had left it any longer it would of infected my spine. It was only pain that took me there in the end as just could not cope any longer, All good and healed up now.  I had the same problem re dressings myself, Only i was just about able to reach mine to do it myself with the aid of mirrors..Don't ask.