Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #2 Barney

Liam J

Is this site totally accurate? Surrey posted that the storm was at 978mb earlier and the latest is showing 979mb (obviously near as dammit, but marginally filling) I'm surprised if the filling phase is starting already?

Should start slowly filling once it hits Ireland I think that's what the models are showing.. Imagine if it kept on going down over the UK sheez

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm right on (in...)  the boundary. Tbh, I'd be happy to be in the weaker zone to the south, which only just justifies a warning, based on the windspeeds being talked about.

The gusts in the southernmost warning are not overly strong at all with 40-50mph, 50-60mph for coasts,  I suppose it's the outside chance of 70mph gusts for very exposed locations that may have prompted the warning to remain, the Met Office reduced the impact risk from medium to minor.

Is this site totally accurate? Surrey posted that the storm was at 978mb earlier and the latest is showing 979mb (obviously near as dammit, but marginally filling) I'm surprised if the filling phase is starting already?

To be honest I don't know how accurate it is so can't really comment, the models do show Barney starts to fill as he moves over Ireland on his journey eastwards.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The gusts in the southernmost warning are not overly strong at all with 40-50mph, 50-60mph for coasts,  I suppose it's the outside chance of 70mph gusts for very exposed locations that may have prompted the warning to remain, the Met Office reduced the impact risk from medium to minor.

To be honest I don't know how accurate it is so can't really comment, the models do show Barney starts to fill as he moves over Ireland on his journey eastwards.  

Thanks

Posted

Interesting been watching xc weather over last couple of hours and welling has shot up to 62 mph gust... ForrcastNow that is a strong old blow has been at 52 for a while between 2100 hours just gone up to 62 that's a big increase

Posted

Winds whipping up over Southern Ireland and Wales - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Posted

Looks about right to me, you can see the tightening gradient on Barney's SW flank which is set to run across Ireland toward Wales, through Central England and out into the North Sea around East Anglia. 

post-9615-0-04645500-1447763590_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-92641300-1447763598_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Wind getting going slightly and its become gloomy. It's raining outside. I'm guessing it's getting started? Is this the beginning of Barney?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Quite blowy in Exeter, not sure when peak winds are expected here.

It's already reaching 75mph in western tip of Wales

Posted

I am likley barking up the wrong tree but the centre looks to be curve tracking further north than the modelling was suggesting. This can be seen very well on raintoday radar loop. Looking like the centre will track just slightly under Edingborough and glasgow. This also tells me the system has / is deepening a touch faster than predicted hence the arc on the cold front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Should start slowly filling once it hits Ireland I think that's what the models are showing.. Imagine if it kept on going down over the UK sheez

Surface pressure now showing at 981mb.

Posted

Barney now making his way into Ireland, 981mb.

post-9615-0-73512100-1447766578_thumb.pn

Posted

Just seen bbc 13:30 weather, displaying 60 mph gusts from leeds southward now, 60 miles or so northward shift. All of west and south yorkshire including southern most parts of north yorks inline now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Getting quite wild out there now. Heavy rain and wind picking up. 11.1°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Also, take a look at xcweather forecasts, the wales location which has just had a 75 gust isn't meant to peak until around 6pm, with a peak of 68mph.

Maybe we could see most figures 5-10mph up over forecasts during the peak :)

Posted

Barney now making his way into Ireland, 981mb.

attachicon.gifanl9.PNG

It will probably track out into the N Sea over NE England, north of Newcastle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Not that windy here yet surprisingly. Top gust 31 mph earlier on was sort of expecting at least 40 mph by now, come on Barney!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm confident it's a stinger ....

The dynamics aren't right for sting jet development which are associated with explosively deepening storms. Barney is forecast to fill as he crosses the UK.

• Like 3