Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #2 Barney

Liam J

Posted

I guess the storm wasn't quite as bad over there, but we certainly had some impressive gusts for this location last night. It's rare that I record gusts over 80mph here, I've had plenty in the 70s but only October 2002, November 2009 and November 2010 have reached 80 since I started records. I think if we expect a storm like October 2002 every year we're going to be rather disappointed.

You must still be pretty exposed to record 70+ last night when most official stations didn't get that high (I only recall seeing 70-85mph in Wales and Ireland but may have missed some)

In a way a tad jealous lol, my Davis anemometer is 8m high bordered on the S-N (through west) side by fields and the strongest it's ever recorded was 54mph in the February 2014 storms.. but then I am in a river valley.

The highest when I've been at home was 48mph though that still seemed pretty strong to me.. although I did have an old station record 64mph in December 2006. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Evening folks I've not been on here since Barney left us, not a lot to report here a very brief spell of 50-60mph gusts at around 9 to 10pm'ish and as I left for work yesterday morning there was a small tree that had been uprooted just around the corner from us and had smashed through someone's front drive plastic fence. Whoever compared it to 2002 must have been experiencing far far worse winds then we got here the other night because 2002 was far more severe from what I remember, we had gusts in the 70-80mph range for a good few hours that morning, I was only about 15/16 but I remember it well and the one a couple of years before that which happened during the night and was even stronger and by far the most intense storm I can recall with regular gusts of 80-90mph at one stage I'd say they weren't far off 100mph. I'm surprised it didn't do a lot more damage then it did. St'Jude seemed to do quite a lot of damage even though we only officially recorded gusts into the 60's and it was a lot more short lived. To me Barney was nothing more then an ordinary autumnal Gale, but I know it was worse in other places especially in Ireland and west Wales!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

You must still be pretty exposed to record 70+ last night when most official stations didn't get that high (I only recall seeing 70-85mph in Wales and Ireland but may have missed some)

In a way a tad jealous lol, my Davis anemometer is 8m high bordered on the S-N (through west) side by fields and the strongest it's ever recorded was 54mph in the February 2014 storms.. but then I am in a river valley.

The highest when I've been at home was 48mph though that still seemed pretty strong to me.. although I did have an old station record 64mph in December 2006. 

I'm quite exposed on the rare occasion that we get a straight westerly gale, any angle north or south of that and I don't tend to record that high. Southwesterly gales for example I don't think I ever get much above 55-60mph. It was also a very short window of time when the wind really went for it to the point of bins and recycling boxes literally rolling and flying along the road, leaves going everywhere etc. - quite impressive really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Evening folks I've not been on here since Barney left us, not a lot to report here a very brief spell of 50-60mph gusts at around 9 to 10pm'ish and as I left for work yesterday morning there was a small tree that had been uprooted just around the corner from us and had smashed through someone's front drive plastic fence. Whoever compared it to 2002 must have been experiencing far far worse winds then we got here the other night because 2002 was far more severe from what I remember, we had gusts in the 70-80mph range for a good few hours that morning, I was only about 15/16 but I remember it well and the one a couple of years before that which happened during the night and was even stronger and by far the most intense storm I can recall with regular gusts of 80-90mph at one stage I'd say they weren't far off 100mph. I'm surprised it didn't do a lot more damage then it did. St'Jude seemed to do quite a lot of damage even though we only officially recorded gusts into the 60's and it was a lot more short lived. To me Barney was nothing more then an ordinary autumnal Gale, but I know it was worse in other places especially in Ireland and west Wales!

I'm just down the road from you and as I posted on page 17 with pic, we had a car written off next door with a falling tree! That said, I agree as I have seen much, stronger winds in the past and so I think the tree must have been weakened over the years.  Was quite something at the time though! :)

Posted

Considering the Met Office are issuing widespread warnings for wind for tonight and tomorrow with gusts predicted in the 50-70mph range isn't this getting a storm title?  Especially given that it's unusual to get such wind strengths from a Northerly direction.

Posted

this gimmick has worn off already :rofl:

Maybe they only count storms off the Atlantic which have more cyclonic characteristics. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Locking this one now, use this thread to discuss the short-lived stormy weather due overnight - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84005-atlantic-storms-autumn-2015/page-18#entry3287231