Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm #2 Barney

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It is very windy outside now. So windy that my lights are flickering off and on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Storm abigail 80+ winds only affected a very small area of north&west scotland aswell though?  And Barney is affecting inland areas too that are less prone to such winds surely that counts for something? Its not always only about the 3 top gusts!  Some widerspread higher sustained wind values even in some inland locations with the barney....

What are you talking about? I replied to AdamStorm who was suggesting that the naming of Barney wasn't justified (see quote below) becasue the winds weren't that strong in his location and I was merely pointing out how severe it had been away from his location and also Abigail's named status was warranted, meaning the naming of these two storms is justified... 

A sustained spell of 60mph+ gusts might have been worthy of giving Storm status but please Met Office if we're going to start giving storm names every time anything more then a strong breeze comes through then we've all turned abit soft. Most we've had here is the odd 50mph gust! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Definitely much quieter here now. Bins over, garden chairs overturned and next door's jacuzzi/pool roof cover seems to have gone walkies. All in all a pretty stormy evening! Nearly 16,000 properties without power in our region tonight though (W Mids). Mostly rural areas but pretty significant for this region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Nice for Crosby to get a mention on the top extremes Leagues again, been a long time; I blame Anthony Gormley lol . y

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

What are you talking about? I replied to AdamStorm who was suggesting that the naming of Barney wasn't justified (see quote below) becasue the winds weren't that strong in his location and I was merely pointing out how severe it had been away from his location and also Abigail's named status was warranted, meaning the naming of these two storms is justified...

It's a moderate storm here now lol. A strong Gale but nothing exceptional or particularly damaging, maybe a few branches down in the morning or a small tree and a few fence panels blown through!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Quite a bit going on in the W Mids tonight. Lorry overturned (blown over) near Bromsgrove on the M5 and the huge Fort Dunlop shopping centre sign has toppled over amongst other incidents. http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/11/17/storm-barney-heavy-winds-to-batter-the-midlands/

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Not much here yet in Ramsgate, but I guess ours isn't due for a few hours yet being on the very south East tip.

Posted

The Midlands is taking a real battering, the huge sign from Fort Dunlop in Brum has blown down, trees down, lorries turned over, numerous powercuts. I hope people stay safe!

https://www.facebook.com/wearefreeradio/photos/pcb.1325439484150549/1325437347484096/?type=3&theater

• Like 1

Posted

Bad news! Barney himself also seems to have suffered in his own storm and has been blown over! lol

post-6797-0-53913900-1447797626_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted

The drier air intrusion associated with these strong winds is certainly noticeable on XC weather with dewpoints much lower than earlier. Around 5-8c across much of the SW portion of the country now (esp Wales and Midlands). So despite it still being fairly mild actual temperature wise, it does feel rather fresh now.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

not quite explosive cyclogenesis but barney did alright

https://youtu.be/_XAV2q-GhuI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Strongest recent gust 66mph in Wittering according to xcweather...still some big gusts here in Wrexham - numerous fallen trees locally - but lulls between gusts are longer now and winds easing across Wales.

Pressure jump of 11mb in the past 3 hours!

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

Just getting going here wind wise looks like peak winds in the next coulple of hours for Yorkshire before easing overnight!

• Like 1

Posted

Some strong gusts here, must be 60+, rubbish strewn all over the estate, trees down. East Midlands hit 62 so not too bad for somewhere this far inland 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

I hope always for a decent storm be it thunder, snow or wind, when one finally arrives the trees opposite come down  :oops:  Neighbours car and house - direct impact, there are 4 more to go... i am praying for no wind now  :help:

post-16664-0-42231000-1447798802_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

61mph now hitting Buxton, It seems the winds crank up +5mph ever half an hour that passes, 70mph gusts is a possibility before the end of the night.

Posted

I hope always for a decent storm be it thunder, snow or wind, when one finally arrives the trees opposite come down  :oops:  Neighbours car and house - direct impact, there are 4 more to go... i am praying for no wind now  :help:

Good grief. Hope all is well there otherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Good grief. Hope all is well there otherwise.

Thanks Costa - no more down as yet but they would reach the house if they do!  It's case of fingers and everything crossed right now! It's been surprisingly crazy for an hour or 2 here, so many storms come to nothing here normally and I didn't expect much from this one, looks like Barney is trying to prove a point! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have just been for a drive out and there are lots of branches, twigs and the odd wheelie bin in the road. I haven't seen any serious disruption although there are power cuts within my postal code apparently.

It still sounds wild out there, I do not know how strong the gusts are but I would estimate 50-60mph. For the centre of the country that is strong. Can hear things crashing around outside and the walls are creaking...i dread to think what 70-80mph sounds like!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The strongest winds will be pulling away over the next hour or so with East Anglia the last to say goodbye to Barney after midnight, quite a bit of disruption from Barney with power cuts in some areas, trees down & reports of structural damage with roofs blown off in parts of Wales where Barney's strongest winds hit. A little surprised the warning wasn't escalated to amber given the impacts & wind strengths some areas experienced.. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Touching 75mph just.

Posted

Eerily quiet here now, winds dropped from gusting 52mph to a steady 9mph in the matter of just 15 minutes.