Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England and East Anglia weather discussion/chat - 15th November 2015 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Sorry, my mistake. I went to all the trouble of converting from what I thought was kph only to now see that it's already in mph. I stand corrected. :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Stun that map shows gusts up to 70mph perhaps a touch higher on the Coast, sustained winds would be around 40-50mph but it's a very little feature and zips through in 2-3 hours but deepens all the while so needs closely watching hopefully it is not as pronounced on the 18z 

Oh great 

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

GFS 12z for Christmas Eve... :help:

It only just introduced this feature which is odd I hope it goes on the 18z

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

What are you expecting doomsday? get a grip :p I for one would be happy to see the above verify it has been an incredibly boring month. 70mph gusts in London are very infrequent and it's of interest to me, it will probably be gone by the pub run.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

What are you expecting doomsday? get a grip :p I for one would be happy to see the above verify it has been an incredibly boring month. 70mph gusts in London are very infrequent and it's of interest to me, it will probably be gone by the pub run.

While I love a good storm and while you are right in what you say, any other time of the year but Christmas eve, 70mph are a rarity and cause damage even for a short period like this would be, max 3 hours of 70mph gusts, it's also a deepening feature which could add or be why it shows the gusts so high!

So I sit on the fence on this, I hope it gets downgraded the feature is there let's hope for no upgrades eh!? 

Posted
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

While I love a good storm and while you are right in what you say, any other time of the year but Christmas eve, 70mph are a rarity and cause damage even for a short period like this would be, max 3 hours of 70mph gusts, it's also a deepening feature which could add or be why it shows the gusts so high!

So I sit on the fence on this, I hope it gets downgraded the feature is there let's hope for no upgrades eh!?

No comment, very much so in part of the world where it is quite sheltered. I do love extreme weather if it is memorable and that's always what I seek. I categorically do not like loss of life nor do I particularly like the disruption but it is incredibly rare   It is out of my control no reason to feel guilty is there? 

The only snowman we're getting this year:

image.thumb.jpeg.a71c1e5ac86116acfeb462c

Posted
3 hours ago, amanda2012 said:

Any updates? 

Good Morning,

A slight tone down in the most notable wind gusts approx 70 mph ones but quite notable nonetheless. Top gusts 65mph through densely populated areas  of London & SE a little hairy I'd say. I think there will be warnings issued within the next 24 hours; I wouldn't rule out an Amber warning either. The clock is ticking. 

image.thumb.png.1d744bf2fc97cf504974e2c7

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Woken up by a gale and driving rain!:lazy:This winter is still not  looking good for:cold: It has been so warm lately that you could be mistaken for thinking that people had put their Christmas decorations up and left them there until May. Makes you feel about as festive as a drowned, decomposing rat.:ninja::reindeer-emoji: Christmas looks a wash out at the moment:drunk-emoji: The only upsides is that our dear cousins 'across the pond' :rolleyes: have not had much snow for a change:clap: Shame that!:rofl::reindeer-emoji:

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Very gusty here. Got woken up several times during the night by it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi all

blowing a gale outside and still freakily mild for December, I'm sure we'll pay for this at some stage. 

Off to Iceland on Boxing Day for a cold weather fix. Has anyone been to Reykjavik before and if so what did you make of it.

Shotski 

Posted

Hi All,

Still quite breezy here in the Southend area, a few spits and spots of rain,  and my external thermometer is showing 14.7 degrees. 

At this rate we will be barbequing the turkey, I'm heading to Cognac in France tomorrow where temps are still reaching 20 degrees plus, not good for the grape vines at this time of year, they need hard frosts or next years crop will be affected.

What ever you are doing, enjoy the Christmas and New Year break and lets hope for some more seasonal weather in January, otherwise heaven knows what the summer will produce.

FC

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Snow no doubt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 minutes ago, frozencanals said:

Hi All,

Still quite breezy here in the Southend area, a few spits and spots of rain,  and my external thermometer is showing 14.7 degrees. 

At this rate we will be barbequing the turkey, I'm heading to Cognac in France tomorrow where temps are still reaching 20 degrees plus, not good for the grape vines at this time of year, they need hard frosts or next years crop will be affected.

What ever you are doing, enjoy the Christmas and New Year break and lets hope for some more seasonal weather in January, otherwise heaven knows what the summer will produce.

FC

I'm heading in the opposite direction - and wish I wasn't. It's been lovely over here, but it is very windy in the valley today. 

Posted

Remarkably mild,

I've never known anything like it, how depressing to have a mild, damp Xmas. I find January to be one of the most depressing months of the year - I couldn't cope with a continuation of this.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Remarkably mild,

I've never known anything like it, how depressing to have a mild, damp Xmas. I find January to be one of the most depressing months of the year - I couldn't cope with a continuation of this.

Unfortunatly, Met Office shows January continuing with mild south-westerlies and rain/cloud, and US forecasters are saying it's almost too late for an SSW this winter.  Fixed pattern between now and spring, I'm afraid.  I'm trying to force myself to enjoy double-figure temperatures, endless cloud and rain as it's all we're going to get the rest of this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Horrible day and yep very mild so I guess atleast the boiler doesn't take a pounding.

Like I keep saying yes we can get decent cold spells in March and April with snow but I for one DO NOT want that even if the Winter doesn't bring us snow. Spring and especially April is all about early warmth, good blooms and enjoying the lighter days, cannot rely on Summer to give us plenty of wall to wall sunshine in this country.

Looks like we are going to have to be patient yet again, the only good thing is after the last couple of years everyone seems a bit more relaxed about itthis time around.